Workline GSD as a pet Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yes basic training has started, and I have laid a few short tracks for him. He is different in very subtle ways and is higher energy, but I will wait a bit longer before giving an overall verdict as I have only had him for 5 weeks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Some of the WL GSDS are smaller from what I've seen too, especially Eastern European lines. Maybe one day :p
  4. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    he is beautiful. thank you.
    ps. if any body has problems with osteoarthritis in dogs. i have the perfect stuff, from a vet it london... and the insurance recognise and pay for it. jeager has been brilliant on it.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The police bitch I knew was a tiny little pocket rocket. She was fab! She was a Vomhausnye bitch. My own dog, who is mainly DDR lines, is not small by any means :lol: In fact, I think he is going to be a monster :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    One of Stuarts then:grin:
  7. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Are you free next weekend?
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yup!

Ooh just seen this! Not sure what we are up to, if anything yet. What were you thinking?
  9. CharleyMaddison

CharleyMaddison New Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    How about a Chodsky Pes?
  10. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Interesting... never heard of them before!

The do look like shorter GSDs :lol: (Although have retained length - which might be better a little shorter too?)

I think for me a smaller gsd (proportionately - length height) with short hair would be ideal :)
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    wildmoor likes this.
    Wildmoor has two Chodsky Pes.
  12. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    How is he managing with the tracking? Really interested in the differences between the SL and WL so would be interested to hear how his training goes.

Helen
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    He enjoyed the tracks I laid for him, but wasn't as dedicated to the task as Yogi - who ADORES his ball :lol: So I am doing some work building Zak's focus and drive for his ball and will then re-start tracking when he would do anything for his toy.
  14. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Is that the difference - focus on the ball? Did you have to do that with Yogi, or was he already focused on his ball?

Helen
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yogi was brought up from a pup (by me) to be really interested in toys. I played with balls/tugs etc loads with him as a pup and as he grew up, but only allowed access to them when I was playing with him. This definitely built his drive for a ball. He does have decent drives for a showline too, but I think I helped bring them out.

Zak has come from a kennel environment and so hasn't had the same amount of work put into him as yet. However, his ball drive is building day by day and I am really pleased with how focused he is becoming on it. I have the number of a lady who trains/competes in working trials and so am going to give her a call and see if she can fit myself and the two GSD boys in for some tracking sessions soon.

There are subtle but obvious differences I have noticed in the dogs, but I don't yet know whether it is down to individual personalities or whether it is due to Zak being workline and the others not. One of the big attractions about the worklines for me was the fact that everyone who had experience of them told me that, in general, they have very steady/strong nerve and I am seeing that in Zak. Even though he hasn't experienced much in life as yet, he is taking most things in his stride, and his caution in situations is being overcome just by exposure :grin:
  16. Indra

Indra New Member

Name:
    Indra
    Hello! Just joined this forum. Just echoing what a stunning dog Zak is:) Sable WL dogs are definitely becoming more prominent but I've also had lots of people asking me what type of dog my sable GSD, Indra, is.
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Hello! Great to see you here :grin: Thanks for the compliment on my lovely lad :grin: Now everyone needs to see pics of your equally gorgeous boy, Indra :grin:
  18. Indra

Indra New Member

Name:
    Indra
    That would require me to know how to add a picture to these posts!