Wolf lookalike breeders Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by kcjack, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz

and.......

They can have pets aswell :lol: :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    That seems to be exactly what the show GSD breeds have done?

All these others have done is cross breed existing dogs, available on the market for anyone to buy, ownership of which contravenes no law.

I cant get a grip on why this is any worse than any any other breed or cross breed. I was never under any illusions that any dog breeder I visited didn't try to make a living- never met one yet who was rich from it.

Other people have pointed out that 'other' cross breeds have been just as 'problematic'; though I have seen little evidence to back up the theory that there have been any real problems. Read a lot about Rottweilers in the papers though...
  4. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Believe it or not I am not mocking you or your love of sled dogs and thats great if you can make a living out of what, I guess, started as a hobby. But the point is that these dogs were originally developed to pull a sled and nothing more.

Most I meet are used as companions and occasionally for sled pulling as a hobby.

To put it in perspective where I live people travel mainly by car, sometimes in vans and occasionaly by tractor. Sixty years ago all these jobs were done by horses. Now people still keep horses but they serve no working purpose.

There appear to be more dogs that don't work than do.
  5. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
  6. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    so why create another?
  7. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Not sure any new breed has been created. There are people breeding cross breds but a new breed?

I have owned cross breds, given or rescued and all bred intentionally.
  8. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    well breeds such as NI, tamaskan, arent they farely new?
    And why cross the breeds?
  9. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    I dont make money out of it :shock: :shock: :shock:

I do it for the dogs, and yes they were bred to pull a sled which is exatly what they are doing.

I would also say that the majority of northern breed owners work their dogs.

Im sure Borderdawn will give you another way of working dogs.

This has no relevance because these new wolfdogalike breeds are just to please people and a demand that exists for them not for a purpose that exists for them.
    What do you suggest, we make the horse extinct because they no longer need to pull people around? People have found other ways to use them carriage driving, show jumping, hunting. As Ive said many times before if someone gives me a genuine reason as to why people are breeding these X breeds I will listen, until then I will continue to believe that the poor dogs are being used to make some lazy people £££££'s and call themselves proffesional breeders :roll: whilst using lame excuses of my kennels are clean so whats the problem :twisted:
  10. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Gemma
    Highlighted a few points of mine for you. I'm against any mix using a pure wolf but i dont have any objection to crossbreeds, had them all my life. What i dont understand is the breeders who slag off the NI/Ute/BI/Tamaskan and then use them to cross, this makes no sence, why not just breed Saarloos & CWD together if you want a crossbreed that looks wolfie?
  11. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    Because they already have the adult breeding females, so it would not make financial sense to neuter all their breeding stock.
  12. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    What you say doesn't make too much sense. You say that these new breeds (wolf look a likes) are bred just to please people.

Then you say that your dogs were bred to pull a sled? Why breed dogs to pull a sled? I understand there are cars in Norfolk, so its not for transport. I guess they are bred coz people like to have them then.

I make no case for working horses or dogs, just looking at the reason they were developed: transport. When a more convenient method of transport came along; millions of horses were slaughtered. The same went for sled dogs; thousands shot simply because they were obsolete.

So therefore one can only deduce that they are now bred simply to give their owners pleasure. Just like you accuse the wolf a likes.

Not sure I understand why the breeders are lazy either; surely it takes no less effort to breed a wolf-a-like than a husky?

I am beginning to suspect its more a case of people being protective about their favorite breed than any great rational argument.
  13. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Tania
    I see your point on finances but why would they slag off breeds they are still using? This is the bit that makes no sence to me, please explain it to me if you know.
  14. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    Lazy =

What would you rather do

Go to work like normal people

or

sit at home with your dogs shut in kennels all day breed them every time they have a season, convince people that these wolfdogalikes are fantastic and are worth £1000 + and make friends with some numpty who thinks his a wolf and does all your advertising for you free of charge on the TV
    AND then watch the money rolling in!

I do wonder if anyone that lives near these proffesional breeders have ever seen the dogs being walked like normal pet dogs....I bet most dont even know they are there.
  15. gemma riley

gemma riley New Member

Name:
    Ragapawz
    Can I just also make it clear that I am in no way againt the DOGS its the people that have created them that make me want to bang my head up the wall!!
  16. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    at the end of the day,if these dogs save peoples lifes.would nt that be better.so why not wait and see if it comes off.if it dont then have ago.
  17. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Now you have lost me! Firstly I thought you gave up your job to race huskies?

Who locks their dogs up all day?

How are pet dogs walked compared to those of wolf-a-likes?

I only visited one UK kennels and all the dogs were walked 3 times a day, mostly off lead but not always. Work started a 6am. No I didn't buy one of their dogs nor did they pay me money or sell me any other product. I visited out of interest.
  18. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Now you have lost me! Firstly I thought you gave up your job to race huskies?

Who locks their dogs up all day?

How are pet dogs walked compared to those of wolf-a-likes?
  19. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    I didnt think they were bred for it- i thought she was giving an example of what jobs they can do and possible example of a reason to breed.

IMO they serve the same purpose as the labradoodle, cockerpoo, snoodle etc
  20. blue29

blue29 New Member

Name:
    allan
    So basically what alot of people are saying is then,no other breed of dog should be bred,because they have no purpose in our world,as we have plenty of dogs doing these jobs already.
    Ummmmm well if wolves in the first place hadnt been crossed etc,we wouldnt have any dogs to argue and bicker about.
  21. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Oh come on...you seriously think these breeds were 'created' by these people as working dogs??? I dont think so more like money money money as we already have well established breeds to fit any work required
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.