Wolf lookalike breeders Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by kcjack, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    can you tell me how many of these dogs in the uk are reg to work with these kids?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    My friends grandaughter has Asbergers, I do understand the problem, my friend has IWH's and other breeds, so I have seen how dogs can interact with these kids,
    I still have to say though, the more confident breeds are great for them, should the kids have a really bad day....tizzy style the rotties are less fazed by it...

while I see benifits in all breeds, I dont think to say...Saarloos are the breed for kids with problems is really a great idea, as some owners have said, they take that bit more work, to a family that already has a lot to cope with in a child with Asbergers or whatever, they may find they are not able to cope,

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying rotties are the best breed for kids like this, they are not, im sure there are far better breeds out there, again rotties would need so much work and for a family thats already got so much to cope with, breeds like rotties could be just to much.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  5. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    no i dont have information like that.
  6. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    if they were already trained to work with the child, specifically with that child, as with guide dogs, coping with the dog wouldnt be an issue because the dog would be trained.
    i have only had experience working with autistic adults.
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    NOt generally
  8. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
    Julia Liddle (Kcjak),

My point is this.

As far as im aware you have never been to or met anyone at cry wolf,shoshone or Sansorella. Despite the fact that there was an open invitation for anyone to visit cry wolf at anytime during daytime hours. Furthermore as far as im aware you have never rehomed a cry wolf dog-this is because any dog that has the misfortune of not working out with its owner is taken back to cry wolf.

I, on the other hand have visited both cry wolf and shoshone kennels. As I have documented in a previous post neither are "puppy farmers" as you have INFERRED. Both breeders, in my considered opinion, always put the dogs interests first.

I have also met numerous wolf dogs and their derivatives. I own 2 Saarloos/ni crosses and am more than happy with them and who I bought them from.

I have been watching this forum for a while now and with increasing disdain have seen the way that you choose to speak to your fellow human beings. You do this from a standpoint of ignorance as you have never been to any of the kennels you so keenly deplore.

I have no illusions that I will change your deep seated beliefs nor do I wish to. Unlike you, I am able to discuss and accept other's views without resorting to the type of sniping and innuendo that you appear to enjoy so much.

I am glad that most others on this forum see your behaviour for what it is. I sincerely hope that one day you may learn to atleast show a modicum of respect to your fellow man (or woman):)
  9. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I find the rotties to be the exact opposite, if we pass disabled people they are drawn to them, they know there is somthing diff about them, so want to go over to them, now you know my dogs and they would walk past anyone without a second look, even when people would like the dogs to come to them, but they are drawn to disabled or people with special needs....dont ask me why.

your sort of answered my next question, but didnt if you know what I mean,
    Ok so you know of saarloos that are fab for this? where these dogs pre-trained as an assistance dog would be?
    or were they just bought as pups in the hope that they would fit the bill?
  10. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara
    as i have writen several times, crosses, not worked with pure saarloos.
    the pups were bought as pets now noticing that these dogs are naturals and appear to be very sensative to the autistic mind.then worked with those.the point being that if they are that good then with the correct training they would be great.
    they have been used in europe for varied work already.
  11. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I find this very unlikely, as Shona indicated in her earlier post, confident outgoing dogs are the ones one would think of in the context of helping people with disabilities.

I have worked a lot with Autistic children and have had them to stay in my home. Nervous dogs and Autistic children are not a good mix as far as I can see and I am saying this from the perspective of the dogs welfare.

One Autistic child I looked after would suddenly start to scream a loud relentless blood curdling scream that would last for many moments, this would upset many nervous dogs. Some Autistic children have wildly unpredictable behaviour and movements, again not a good thing with a nervous dog around.

I may have got this wrong and apologies if I have but I was told recently about someone who had a Wolfy looking breed and the dog had to wear an ecollar because it wasn't very good with children, and yet someone else said this particular dog only went to the family in the first place because they had an Autistic child. If this information is correct it seems rather odd :?
  12. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
    I think the breed has to fit the family to some extent here. All im saying is that yes there are disadvantages with wolfdogs in as far as their shyness. There are also major advantages in as far as their sensitivity to changes in human emotional states.
    Many autistic children are bought dogs on the advice of their psychologist. These dogs are often not "trained assistance" dogs but perform a more holistic role in bringing the childs communication skills out. This is why the role of "trained assistance dogs" in autism is one which is difficult to quantify.
    I can only say things have worked well with my girlfriend's son and our dogs. However, with Asbergers lack of communication isnt the problem. I feel personally (for a family that want a Saarloos) its a great option with an autistic child.
  13. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    my freinds grandaughter can also communicate well, its change in routine or similar things that can cause major problems, eg her hair has to be the same way every day, she wears the same cloths each night after school, she eats the same things at school every day, she can be prone to flying off the handle if things are not quite as they should be, all said though shes a lovely girl,
  14. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon

Hi Minihaha,

The Saarloos is not nervous around family members- they are highly outgoing. This is a common misconception. They are however cautious around people they dont know.

As long as they view the child as part of their pack (this may take a day or 2 or a matter of weeks) they show them all the love and affection any other dog would. Their heightened emotional sensitivity is of benifit in calming the upset child down and providing another focus.

My girlfriend's son makes lots of exaggerated movements which the dogs completely ignore.

The Saarloos is probably of most benefit to a child in the FAMILY ENVIRONMENT rather than an autistic school
  15. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
    Shona

This sounds oh so familiar:grin: :grin:
  16. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Hi Geezer, think we met yesterday...
  17. batmandy

batmandy New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Don`t make good SAR dogs though, whereas inuits and inuit crosses do, all dogs can do a job it`s about getting the right balance.
  18. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
    Hi Inkliveeva,

Hows the dogs? Jacqui was busy looking up tattoos on the internet again last night-think shel be in at somepoint soon maybe:grin:
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    sorry batmandy, which breed dont make good SAR dogs? rotties or saarloos x's
  20. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Would you sell one of these dogs to someone with 3 kids under the age of 5?
  21. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Seen as though you are intent on mentioning my name which isnt hard to know, maybe you could share your full name instead of hidining behind "Geezer"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.