Why are Saarloos being crossed with NIs? Controversial

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Lucky Star, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi:grin:

These two posts kind of demonstrate my concerns, with respect to these crosses being bred - if proper records are not kept, and if the whole project is not strictly controlled, people won't know the history (including health problems in lines) and I can see a risk of carriers being put to carriers.

I've seen it happen with NIs and Utes, where there are so many split off groups who won't share even basic information such as DNA profiles because of feuds and bad feeling etc. Plus, there is the uncertainty with pedigrees and health issues. It seems like a minefield.

Why? Is the CWD generally healthier? Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    The Saarloos is VERY interbred from what i understand so it would be the best to widen the gene pool as it already have a very narrow one itself. Thats my understanding anyway.
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

With only 4 or 5, it seems likely that progeny will have to be bred with relatives to continue producing them.

I wonder why they've chosen the NI to cross with the wolfdogs, rather than another breed? (Not that I'm suggesting they do this:shock::grin:).
  5. Tania

Tania New Member

Name:
    Tania
    Because the breeders crossing them were/are already breeding NI, BI, etc. Makes sense to use the dogs/bitches they already have rather than get rid of them all and start from scratch.
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Humm....not the best argument I am afraid. It doesn;t really scream sensible people who have thought through what they are going to do. The Saarloos and CwD will always be there....if you wanted to do it properly you would either wait until you had space to breed or get in the dog you would like to mix rather than just using what you happen to have in at the time :?
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Thanks for the reply Tania. :grin:

It doesn't sound terribly well thought out, to be honest. I'd imagined that they'd had some 'type' in mind when crossing, or an idea of what they wanted to produce, hence choosing to use the NIs, although I appreciate the aim isn't a new breed. I guess there will be quite a lot of varitations in terms of look and even temperament as things progress.

I can see the problems I have previously mentioned with health issues cropping up, plus if there are only 4 - 5 wolfdog studs and only the participating owners' NIs/BIs to cross with, the gene pool sounds scarily limited.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  8. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Sorry - I should have typed "variations".
  9. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    It could well be, though others have only one and find them exactly the same as myself. I think the main issue is SA. They are perfect to me in every other way.
  10. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    It is!!! :evil:

Yes, they are generally thought of as a healthier breed than the Saarloos, though in comparison to many modern breeds the Saarloos isn't too bad either.
  11. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Exactly! And with European breeders now cutting off allowing either breed to be sold to the UK for fear of crossings with NI's or wolves it isn't going to get any better.

I would imagine as it is an available breed and a wolfy looking one.
  12. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Nobody should be crossing the pure breds in my opinion.
  13. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Not wolfdogs, 4 or 5 Saarloos.
  14. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Sensible people at last!

The thing that bothers me is that it seems like an idea that has just cropped up and acted upon.. with no thought or plan or long term goal..

Just "oh..come lets do it"..

ANother crossbreed type to go pearshaped health wise..
  15. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Thanks for replying Navajo; I appreciate it. :grin:
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

My mistake, thanks. :grin: