Whoop! Whoop! New puppy alert!!!! (Malinois) General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by maxine, Jul 8, 2012.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Yes pm me for details.

If you are considering a BSD from ANY kennel, find out if any of that affix/breeding have gone to SUCCESSFUL owners in WT/Schutzhund.

Both my dogs (of two different breeds) come from proven working backgrounds to maximise my chances of success.

If you were considering a racehorse, you would go to stock which was successful in the particular type or racing you were intersted in, ie you would look for sprinting or distance or over the sticks.

The same is true for dogs.

Serious competitors go to kennels which produce the proven qualities required in (Agility/Field Trials/Working Trials/Schutzhund) etc etc.

You need to make sure you are not "over dogged" ;)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    Yes that's a very nice litter indeed - I'll be interested to see some of them at shows in the future. The sire's kennel is very well known if not a legend on the Continent.
  4. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Being over dogged is a real concern. I'll PM you about a WT forum. Cheers
  5. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I'm really tempted!
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I think, given your concerns about high drive Malis and the fact you have never owned a dog of this type before (?), then perhaps the show line (and this litter) could be the one for you :) From what MMs has said, the breeder has an excellent reputation.

Will it be your first foray into WTs too? You could try it with your showline Mali and if the bug really bites then get a working Mali next time around :) It all depends on how seriously you want to compete.
  7. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    If I didn't work fill time and leave my OH who works from home in charge then I would take the plunge and go for a WL Mali. I sometimes get kept on at work and work 40 hours in 2 days. The most important thing is making sure the dog is going to fit into my domestic set up when I'm not there. I have decided on a SL Mali it's just a question of which one and when. The timing with this litter is not perfect as I wanted to wait until October, but it's a cracking litter from a top breeder. Hmmmmmmn.......
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Difficult decision.

You could just go for a WL GSD instead LOL ;)

Have you spoken to the breeder? Are they close enough for you to pop along and meet the adults? The difficulty with looking at pups before you have made your mind up, is that it is hard to say no to a cute fluffy bundle :)
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I was looking at a litter in Europe and 2 working Mal's had 3 Tervuren's amongst their pups ...lol
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Not sure what you mean Murf??? :017:
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    In the Mal litter they had 3 long haired dogs which they registered and called Tervuren's....
  12. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Sisters from working parents ..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I have spoken to the breeder already. I just need to decide if now is the right time or if I should wait until October. The breeder is about 200 miles from me, but if I had any concerns about mums temperament I would walk away.
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Hmm that is interesting. Is it as simple as the Tervuren being a Malinois with a long coat?!! Surely not :017:
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    What is the decision dependent on? Is there ever a "right time" if you know what I mean ;)
  16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    That's exactly it.
  17. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I would like to take a few weeks off work to settle her in and kick start the house training but can't until after the Olympics. Also we are going to a party in Wales in October which I am taking the other dogs to. It would be easier without a pup.
  18. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Have you ever seen a black Mal..
    [​IMG]
  19. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Hi - I know Debbie and Paul very well ( Belsharose BSD ) and can vouch for the quality of the dogs they breed.

Just to clarify some points - the BSD is one breed
    split into 4 varieties - the only difference between them is coat type and colour the Malinois is NOT a separate breed .

[​IMG]

There is no work /show split with the Groenendael, Tervueren or Laekenois - some Malinois breeders are breeding dogs that are untypical both physically and mentally and calling these the working type - this is IMO rubbish as all BSD can and do work - you must remember this is a Pastoral breed and should have a typical shepherding breed temperament - they were never originally bred as attack dogs and it is of great concern that this is the image that is being pushed as the correct 'working' temperament

I
    Yes that's exactly the way it should be -this

[​IMG]

is the same as this :[​IMG]

just with a long coat !!

....and this :[​IMG]
    is the black long haired version !!

go to http://www.bsdaofgb.co.uk/ for more information
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Thats how I beleive it to be!

All 4 types are the same breed
  21. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Thank you for your input. It is reassuring that the Lloyds are so well thought of. I was really impressed when I spoke to her as she really wants the best for her dogs.