Whats the difference(s)? Questions

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by alexandra, May 3, 2007.

1. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    great...

my mum is looking into getting a terrier next year when she retires, but needs it to be able to get rid of the rabbits in her back garden and field...Since the cat died you could easily count 30 at any one time!!!:shock: :shock:

But she also wants it to be affectionate, but i guess 90% of dogs are!!!:roll:
    Alex
    xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    If there is any possibility that you may look after it then she should get one the opposite sex to your staff. Has she considered other terriers? Such as the Norfolk or Norwich? or, dare I say it a Border lol!
    Becky
  4. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Ive been doing the research for her really.
    We have looked a t borders but she is not keen on them....
    And yes we have said we would look after it on holidays etc, she misses having a dog but wont get one till she retires next year as she work long hours and it wouldnt be fair on the dog,

The dog would live with her and she has had dogs her entire life etc so it will be well loked after...(place on the bed, sofa, cuddles etc!!)

She is excelllent at training a pup and would cope no probs and i would be there as backup for her...

But sh really needs a breed that will control the rabbits...she has a n acre and its almost completely destroyed with them!!!

Alex
    xx
  5. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Dachshunds were bred to control rabbits so that may be an option too. There are working ones here in the UK called Teckels, they are usually the wire ones.
    My poodles and dachshund hunt too! Percy and Ellie caught a rabbit.
    Becky
  6. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    thanks for that never considered daschie.....
  7. sjpurt

sjpurt New Member

Name:
    sam
    hi hun

nope sorry WRONG...lol

the black and white is jrt and the tan and white half face bottom right is jrt.

but it is hard to tell though but good try.
  8. kazaroo

kazaroo New Member

Name:
    kaz
    Heres a start:
    The Parson Russell Terrier Breed Profile:

The Parson Russell Terrier was the first Kennel Club recognized variant of the Jack Russell terrrier, first drawn into the UK Kennel Club in 1990, and into the American Kennel Club in 2001.

The Parson Russell:

There are many reasons that I am attracted to the Parson variant of terrier. Firstly they are of Bold character and fierece courage. An extrovert; fearless; tough and feisty character are amongst his traits. But simultaniously he is gentle and loving with those he knows and with smaller dogs and puppies.

A big dog in a small body; many have and LDS complex (Little Dog Syndrome) and often bite of more than they can chew, but will equally fight their corner.Parsons tend to be level headed and abl to judge am equally matched opponant and will recover from many a kerfuffle; pretty unscathed. They will defend their master to the end and are forthright and worthy companions to any woodsman or household. They make excellent house dogs; although can be destructive and wiley if not occupied enough. They thrive on a fast paced life; enjoying agility and hunting activities, can be taught many tricks and are as happy curled up on a lap as wandering the woods and fields alonmgside their master.

HISTORY:
    Reference: Jean and Frank Jackson-Parson Russell Terriers-An owners companion.

The founder of the modern day Parson Russell terrier breed was Parson Jack Russell/Reverand John Russell (known by either name) from whom the breed takes it's name.

Parsons being derived from The Reverand John Russells terriers themselves; a distinctive breed from the Wire Haired Fox terriers of the time; were starting to find favour in the show ring at the time of his death in 1883 (28th April).
    During his long career as a breeder the Parson remained faithful to theolder type of Fox terrier.This dog was capable of running with hounds; amicable and intelligent; it though lacked the elegance required of the show ring. It was predominantly white and the Parson chose to retain this trait- which we still see in the modern day descendants of his breed. He refined the breed and made the breed consistant in its type; whilst remaining faithful to the old type of terrier he was so fond of in his youth.

The basis for the strain was the Parsons bitch Trump; who he brought in 1819 whilst a student at Oxford. After being ordained he returned to his native Devon and set to work with the church. He would never again live outside Devon and for 64 years; developed the strain of Parsons terrier using terriers found in hunt kennels and other Fox terrier breeders; whilst persuing his passion for hunting. He was doing that which many others were doing up and down the country; breeding a terrier type for the purpose of his sport.(Can Expand this to incorparate other Terrier strains of uk)

parsons have long legs and jrts have short ones fundamentally also bred by different breeders....will post in Breed profiles.
  9. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni

can i borrow it i didnt know either he he xx
  10. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet

Sounds like my Toby would like to live with your mam, likes the place on the bed, cuddles ideas :roll: :lol: