What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    'tis raining today - that horrible drizzly stuff. Cold, but not freezing.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's and Malka like this.
    It's dry here today and actually quite sunny and warm. Yesterday though the snow turned to slush and this is what my two looked like by the end of the day! Mind you the floor tiles in my kitchen don't look much better!

SAM_1241.JPG
    SAM_1245.JPG
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bands of rain, drizzle and grey cloud. Had to have the lights on all day. Quite cold too.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Rain started a bit earlier than forecast. Only very brief, short showers but it meant that I could not get to the surgery to see our GP.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Horrible raining here plus gale force winds
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC and 6JRT's like this.
    Same here (Lincs). It's been raining steadily all day, but we've suddenly had a deluge. Poor little Chico will get washed away if I let him out in this.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's likes this.
    Hope your all safe,some places hit really bad been gale force winds here but no rain.
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    We got gale force winds I tried to take dogs out but gave up, as it was 2 steps forward & 18 steps backwards.
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    The winds are so strong it's scary.

Luckily no rain here either - terrible scenes on the news of flooding elsewhere.Hope no one here is affected.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [​IMG]

So I gave up and put the duvet on the bed. Only I had taken the wrong one out when I had gotten whoever it was to lift up the mattress on its thick slats so I could get a duvet out from underneath it, and it was not warm enough. So I had to get a blanket and put it over the duvet some time in the middle of the night as I was so cold, got back into bed and had just gotten warm when "eep, eep, eep - let me out - wanna poo", so I had to get out of bed, let her out of her crate, and by the time I got back into bed it was cold again.

I must not complain though, not seeing the news of the flooding and high winds in the UK. The flooding in town here the other week was very bad because of the amount of rain we had, but there were not the strong winds.
  12. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    I've been watching the news about the flooding and high winds in the UK. About 5 years ago the village was flooded. The village green was completely submerged and I had 2 inches of water lapping outside my front door, but fortunately, unlike some of my neighbours, no flooding inside the house. Very scary at 2 in the morning.

Since then the municipality has built concrete rainwater culverts on either side of the street. I've got one outside my house which is about 3 feet wide and 5 feet deep, and another one across the road which is twice the depth and width. We're more fortunate than some of the nearby villages who have to rely on sandbags to prevent their houses being flooded.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Gosh, that must have been a major upheaval to install those culverts in a small village! Where did they put all the spoil?
    I feel so sorry for those people in Cumbria, I hope they managed to get insurance after the last flooding. The emergency service men and women are truly remarkable people, working such long hours in those conditions. I hope all the farm stock were able to be moved to safe ground.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    We just have drainage ditches one side of the road, not proper culverts, and before the sewers were replaced my previous bungalow was, more than once, flooded from yuck coming up from the shower drain hole. This bungalow had it twice, with yuck water coming up from the shower drain hole reaching to within about 15cm of my bedroom - but it was not deep - just yucky and took a lot of squeezing to clear up once the rain had stopped and the old sewers coped.

I never thought of claiming on my insurance as it was more a stinking nuisance than actual damage.

But, because the temperature here has plummeted compared to the months of heat and way below "normal" for this time of year, we have been advised to keep a hot tap slightly open with water just trickling out so that the solar panels do not freeze and shatter.

And for the first time since I had c/h I put the one on in my bedroom and left it on all night. Only on 20°C but it took the chill off the room. I was worried about Tikva but her crate is sheltered and there is no way she will wear any sort of pjs.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    This house always goes cold at night, (after the CH has gone off), I would say it usually drops to around 16C in Winter. The dogs have a small greenhouse bar heater in their bedroom, (it's hidden behind Eddie's bed so they can't touch against it). I leave running 24/7 as it is only 120w, but it does take the chill off. We are warm enough under duvets, but I often wonder how we survived as kids when we often had ice on the inside of our bedroom windows.
  16. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Always had a couple of hot water bottles - one for the feet and one for the body! I can remember it was often so cold I couldn't bear to get undressed so went to bed with my clothes on!
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    It was only 11°C indoors during the day yesterday, and went down to 6° last night. I did have to put the heating on a bit during the late afternoon, but only on 22° - not that it did much but this bungalow is not designed to keep any heat in.

I worry about Tikva as she tends to pull the velvety throw off the couch during the day and roll it up into a nest so what if she is cold at night? The pjs I had ordered for her had to be cancelled as she has a longish back, and in any case she will pee in her crate after having torn up the pee pads.

OK so winter has come in with a freeeeezing bang, but I keep adding more and more layers to what I wear, telling myself that it will not be long before I am complaining about the heat again.

As for the duvet - my vets do not sell Frontline Plus any more but Yehuda from the little pet store in down gets it, so he is bringing me some this evening. And little does he know that he will end up in my bedroom hoiking up the mattress and its base to get a different duvet out!

Ice on the inside of bedroom windows? When I walked out on my husband, my daughter still being in the Orthopaedic hospital and me being 10 weeks pregnant with my son, I moved in with my parents until I had a place of my own, and got the flu - badly. Parents were so worried they called out their GP who came into the bedroom where I was unable to get out of bed and who did her nut because it was so cold. There was a built-in gas heater but AFAICR it had never been used since the house was built in 1938 and that room, where twin and I slept in a double bed until we were about 13, was always like an ice-box.

People do not realise that we can get winter here - fair enough it is not normally too bad, but when it is bad oh boy, does it get cold. Many has been the time that I have had to go to bed fully dressed, including wearing ankle slippers.
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Hope Yehuda manages to get the nice warm duvet out!

When I was a child there was no means of heating the bedrooms - and of course no central heating, so you had to get up and go downstairs in the freezing cold to light a fire!

And does anyone else remember the little free bottles of milk at school sitting on the radiators to defrost when they were frozen solid!
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    I just need him to hoik the thing up [and not drop it on me] while I grab a duvet - I know which one I want but there are currently three [or four?] there. I should have gotten one of the warmer ones out when I got this one but hey ho, I just forgot.

We did have a Raeburn in the kitchen - not a Raeburn stove but just a small thing which heated the water, which meant having to have it lit during the summer or there was no hot water. It was years before Father gave in and got an immersion heater. A fire in the living room was not permitted to be lit until just before Father was due home from work - he was the meanest person ever.

Oh yes - and half of the children always refused the milk so twin and I used to drink gallons of it as we loved milk!

Milk on the doorstep in the winter - with an inch or more frozen milk sticking out of the top of the bottles, and in the summer egg cups put on top of the empties so the milkman knew to put them on top of the full bottles, to stop the birds [blue-tits I think] from pecking through the tops to take the cream.[/QUOTE]
  20. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Malka and 6JRT's like this.
    We must have been very "posh" then 'cos in our house we had fireplaces in the bedrooms and if it was bitterly cold or if I was ill, my mother would light a small fire. The rest of the house was freezing cold apart from the kitchen/living room which had a range with a back boiler and an oven. In winter there were always bricks warming in the oven ready to be covered with a towel and popped into bed at bedtime.

The thing I remember most though were the chilblains on my toes and the "hot aches" in my fingers! And those horrid bottles of lukewarm milk which we were made to drink ... ugh! Put me off drinking milk forever!

I've gas central heating in my house as well as wood burning stoves in all the rooms, which keeps us toasty warm in the winter, except when Miss Pei Face decides to hover in the front doorway when it's -10C's outside letting in all the cold air! She doesn't seem to understand that not all of us likes the cold as much as she does!.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We had fireplaces in the bedrooms too, but their chimneys were stuffed with newspapers. You had to have terminal 'flu to qualify for a fire - they were far too messy!