What is a "squareback" German Shepherd? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by TabithaJ, Jan 13, 2011.

1. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    I can see a big difference Kirsty and deffinately prefer the WG line dog, differences are in lay of shoulder, pasterns, topline, croup, chest and head
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Must say I do love the look of those dogs.

/

When/why did breeders start breeding for a sloped back?
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for pointing out the differences between the two types Pam. I am off to have another look at the photo, and at the two dogs themselves :lol: , to see if I can identify specifically where the differences lie and what they are from your description. Very interesting to me, as the only two obvious differences to me were the topline and the head.
  5. Kiing

Kiing New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    This description fits Anton pretty well. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have got a picture of him 'stacked' somewhere, but I can't find it right now - doesn't make much difference anyway, his back remains fairly straight.

The two main physical differences I've noticed between him and Sheps that fit the standard are movement and the flexibility of their spines. As Anton's so long, his back has less 'flexibility' (not sure if that's the right word, but can't think of a better one! :blush: ) - whereas I've seen Sheps that fit the standard do tricks like 'beg' with ease, Anton just physically cannot. Also, where 'correct' GSDs seem to effortlessly float across the ground when they trot, Anton stomps like a moody teenager. :lol: All his power's in the front of his body.
  6. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The original Rin Tin Tin is not the dog in the photograph

Have a look here. RTT was a grey dog with the sable pattern not pale wishy washy with light bone like the one in the photo

This dog is from the same lines !!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

[​IMG]
  7. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    is duke 'squareback' i don't know his lines

[​IMG]
  8. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

actually looking at that dog if he was actually alowed to stand upright then I think his back wouldnt look too bad

It seems something more to do with the angle at the hock and stuff, - cant remember the propper terms but looks like the show stance is all about making the joint from hock to the foot to be at 90 degrees to the floor
    Something has been changed in the lengths of leg bones meaning to get that angle right now the dogs are having to stand with their legs in different postcoads
    The other foot is now places so that the hock is almost on the floor :(
    Watching these dogs move - as a scientist
    the angles are meaning that the foot is well out behind the dog before it is in a position to apply its full driving forces forwards, much of its energy is actually wasted in vertical motion and not enough put into thrust
    This means most of the drive is coming from the front of the dogs and the back tends to become less muscled and makes the dog looke even more strange
    - that is what I am seeing anyways

and different again are the American roach backed dogs :(
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    America roached back GSDs ???????????

There are German showline GSDs shown in the USA & then the ones like the photo I showed which is a typical American showline GSD bred for the excessive turn of stifle & a very odd moving style with a prolonged period of suspension when all 4 feet are off the ground at the same time. they are very long coupled & short ribbed which means the back is very weak & soft. Their hindquarters are very unstable.

These two types are never in the same show ring at the same time as the German showline GSDs are shown the same way they are in Germany & the American showline dogs are shown at the AKC shows(like Westminster)

For a GSD to have a roached back it would have to have the same topline as a Bedlington Terrier, in stance, where the middle of the back is higher than the withers. I have never seen a German showline GSD with such a topline in stance.

How anyone can say they like the look of an American showline GSD amazes me. The owner of the original Rin Tin Tin would be ashamed of the dog above

FYI the hock is the joint at the top of the rear pastern not the bone between the joint & the paw(which is the rear pastern) The stifle are the bones between the hock & the pelvis
  10. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Kirsty if you mean he is full English the answer is No
  11. kirsty_

kirsty_ New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    I just mean would he be classed as straight backed or is he more like the show type? i find it hard to tell as they look completely different when stacked :?
  12. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Kirsty there is no such thing as a 'square backed ' GSD just a made up term from people trying to promote rubbish breeding, your dog is more European show type