What do you feed your Husky type breeds? Diet

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Brian, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Exactly, and when I asked the OP to elaborate they added they were including Akitas and Samoyeds, Neither of which look like Mals or Huskies !!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mforster85

mforster85 New Member

Name:
    michelle
    hehehe my samoyed was once called an albino husky hahahahahaha

sorry of topic but thought it was funny :)
  4. Skyespirit86

Skyespirit86 New Member

Name:
    Holly
    Albino husky with serious hair-overgrowth problem!!
  5. mforster85

mforster85 New Member

Name:
    michelle
  6. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    I can see the resemblance between Akitas and Sibes. I can also see why people call them 'Huskies' and 'Husky types'. To the untrained eye, they DO look alike. You rarely see Mals out and about but if I didn't know better I'd think they were lovely-coloured Huskies!

One of my neighbours saw my puppy in the garden and said 'ah he's one of those Huskies'. I smiled and said, 'He's an Akita'. That was all that needed to be said. It's not an issue for me, I have far more pressing things in my life to worry about!
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Good for you 8)
  8. Kimassok

Kimassok New Member

Name:
    Tove
    Well, the correct general terms would be Polar-breeds and Spitz, I guess;=)

I asume this includes greenlands.
    I feed my dogs fresh raw salmon, cat-fish, seal-meat, reindeer, cow-stomach, elk mostly, but supplies with "soup" of pellets with a 26 % fat/protein when during working season to maintain right ballance of vitamines and minerals in diet.

I have 4 freezers in the barn where I store fresh foods for the dogs.
    Occasionaly neighbour-farmers come with cadavers of pigs, cows and so on, which I feed the dogs. I of course make sure that the cadavers has not been treated with any kind of penicillin or medications previous to death.
    Also sometimes I get elk and so on who has died from cars-hits and so on.

And during summer dry pellets, and some fish.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
  9. Spirit_Storm

Spirit_Storm New Member

Name:
    Pete
    We have a Siberian Husky and an Alaskan Malamute, the Husky has a very sensative stomach and have tried all sorts, we feed them dried biscuit and have found the one that works the best is a breeder pack for working dogs available from our local pet supplier and for £8.95 for a 15kg bag is a great price.
  10. Matt and Vikki

Matt and Vikki New Member

Name:
    Matt
    Used to Barf feed, now feed franks pro gold, the dogs performance, coat and general demeaner is tons better, they still get the odd bone meal and tripe but as a stable base I can't fault it
  11. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I have a Northern Inuit and he gets natures menu...cooked twice a day xx
  12. Matt and Vikki

Name:
    Matt
    Is that the frozen packs from Pets at home? if so be careful as the pack says they have bone in it, which can be dangerous if cooked. ;-)

It may be ground down small enough not to matter but if it builds up it could cause an issue. :)
  13. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Why would it become an issue if its ground ? the bone isn't gonna clog anything up it'll pass through...I know cooked chicken bones ect when given whole will splinter, ground bone isn't gonna splinter...:)
  14. Matt and Vikki

Name:
    Matt
    I thought it could clog as it is indigestible once cooked(probably only if there is something else contributing to the blockage such as man made fibres etc in the gut).

I am no expert, just passing on what I have heard :001:
  15. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    thanks for that I have never heard it is indigestable before...:lol: sorry I'm laughing but I'm trying to remember what man made fibre stinky could have in his gut, hes not guilty of destroying things, man made fibre has me thinking now :lol:
  16. Kimassok

Kimassok New Member

Name:
    Tove
    I always feed raw, since nutritional value often decreases when cooked.
    And I see the dogs take it much better up in their belly and bodies when given raw. Very little "pooping" and steady weight aswell as very good for coat and paws:=).
  17. psychobabe21

psychobabe21 New Member

Name:
    fi
    why not try royal canin its the best dog food on the market i feed it to my husky and my brother feeds it to his german shepherd and we've never had any problems and it contains no 'eu approved colourings and additives' which we all know is actually still bad for dogs and can take years off lives! ive also heard huskys should not have rawhide bones, we give ours beef marrow bones
  18. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    On whose say so??

I can think of plenty that are better..but prefer not to feed commercial food to my dogs
  19. Kimassok

Kimassok New Member

Name:
    Tove
    Well, I'd say it's a matter of opinion wether Royal Canine is the best food on the market;=).
    My experience with Royal Canine is that it works fine for everyday feeding (like f ex in summertime when activity is low). But in autumn winter early spring, when my dogs are in season-training, they get diarea from Royal Canine when working hard and long.
    I've tested a few types of foods over the years and there are 2 types that works very good on my dogs during hard work. One is Kobuk (which I've fed on my dogs for many many years) and for the last year and a half I've fed them a brand called Husse, who I've been very happy with!
    I switched because Kobuk lately has given much more "poop" than earlier (which indicates the dogs doesnt "use" it as good as before). But Kobuk i exeptional on coat.
    Husse gives no diarea, even in the periode of change of foods, keeps coat very good, and gives little "poop".
    Food functionality is only tested when its fed to dogs working really hard over a periode of time.
    So I question wether Royal canine is the best dog food on the market;=)
    Even though I feed my dogs mostly raw foods, I of course feed them pellets aswell every day, because of nutrition and snacking, aswell as to provide "soup" when training so they get enough water to work.
    Then the protein and fat value is very important.
  20. Fluffypawz

Fluffypawz New Member

Name:
    Alex
    I have always fed mine raw. I find it improves their coats and I can always change quantities, (protein, fat, oils, etc) as and when they need it. It seems good for the sibes which sometimes can have sensitive tummies but mine have not had problems. You will notice as already said they seem to use more of what you put into them, hence less coming out the other end. They have nicer breath as well. If you work it all out, and find a good butcher or source of meat and bone then it also works out cheaper IMO.
    I don't cook anything for the dogs, DOGS DON'T AND HAVE NEVER KNOWN HAD TO COOK! :) :roll:
  21. Kimassok

Kimassok New Member

Name:
    Tove
    Yes I have the excact same experience as you, fluffypawz:=).
    I've always fed mine raw aswell. But when we have cold winters and when I go for loooong training trips, I need to make sure the dogs get enough fluids to be able to do the job expected of them without risking dehydration.
    So approximately 1 hour before training I give them what I call "soup". For 4 dogs it means 1 ltr pellets in water, soaking it until its totally like porridge and add even more water until 8-10 ltres total.
    This works perfectly.
    Also give them soup on very cold days, since they live outside water will freeze. Here quickly temperatures drop to -15 or less.