What breed would you recommend? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Alice Childress, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Rough Collies don't need tons of exercise and they're definitely fluffy and not too small but not too big lol. Whisper loves her hour-long + walks at weekends but as others have said; a half hour walk where she gets to run around like a mad thing tires her out pretty much too lol.

She walks then sleeps until it's time for a wee/din dins/Markie/next walk lol.

She is a bit hairy though. I groom her myself (learning still!!) but there is a *lot* of fur! Sometimes it feels mind-boggling when I groom her - which bit to do first.... :lol:

We nearly got a greyhound and they are lovely dogs. I do however fully understand your desire for a puppy. I would like a puppy myself in the future.

Shelties are a lovely dog well worth considering too - (can you see my preference here??) - again - a fair bit of grooming but not as big as a Rough Collie.

Truly wish you well with your research. I think your future dog will be happy to have an owner who cares and researches. :grin: xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. alys

alys New Member

Name:
    alys
    How about a sheltie,small,hairy,don't seem to have too many health issues and good for some sports. I throw a ball for my GSD and she runs miles and I don't. Also training tires them,things like tracking involve little physical effort but a lot mentally. Good luck Alys
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Cavalier King Charles - not big, but are lovely, easy dogs so ideal for first time owners.

However, there are many health considerations with the breed so finding a good breeder is a must
  5. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Not hairy, but large with semi floppy ears, what about a great Dane, we have the pleasure of day caring one and she has been here for a couple of weeks on hols and she is a pleasure to live with, takes what you want to give her in the way of exercise, plods rather than runs round like a nutter, but then curls herself up and goes to sleep, really can't believe how easy she's been to live with and she's still less than 2 so very much still a baby
  6. Alice Childress

Alice Childress New Member

Name:
    Alice
    Thank you for everyone's input :grin:

I've never actually heard of Welsh springers! However, I dog sit for a English springer. Although he is lovely and gorgeous he is a little too energetic for me :blush: Do welsh springers need less exercise than the English?

Thank you :grin: I do feel guilty wanting a puppy especially as I also have a desire to rescue a dog, but given how full on a puppy is, I'd rather home a pup fist so that I can give it all of my attention and then add a rescue later on, rather than the other way around. (The same as I'd like my first puppy before I have children :lol: )

:lol: If a great dane was just a teeny bit smaller, I'd definitely consider one! However, even though I do love big dogs, I think a great dane might just be a tad too big :shock:
  7. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    I know several Cocker Spaniels; lovely dogs but hugely energetic. The ones I know are happiest when in the park, chasing after tennis balls that their owners have thrown for them. Over and over and over again....the dogs never seem to get tired!

How about a Lab or Golden Retriever? 90 minutes a day would be about right, and they tend to be quite chilled at home, though saying that some Labs can be very boisterous while young.

Goldens do need a fair amount of grooming, though...

How about a Flatcoated Retriever? Big, longer hair than a Lab, bags of personality.....!

Re Rough Collie: I had a RC and they are simply gorgeous. Mine needed a lot of exercise, usually two walks a day, and each walk was around an hour. Gorgeous breed.
  8. Alice Childress

Alice Childress New Member

Name:
    Alice

When I first started researching, a Golden was my first choice. They are fantastic and exactly my type looks wise. However, after talking to owners they said that really they need more like 2+ hours walk a day. It's so hard to know what it accurate!!

Then on top of this, I really noticed the difference at discover dogs between the coat of say a golden compared to a bernese. After stroking the lovely goldens, my hands felt really sticky. I'd always just accepted this as part of having a dog but then stroking the bernese, whose fur was so soft and silky, it put me off the Goldens a bit. I'm sure I'd get use to it, and there are different more important things to take into account but for the moment it's something I'm baring in mind.

As for labs, again, I've read that they need a lot of exercise and can be quite excitable.

For the moment I am talking to Bernese breeders to see if they think I am suitable and asking lots of questions about the breed :) I'm also going to attend some Bernese fun days in June so will hopefully meet a lot more in person before making any final decisions.

Still got an open mind though and am not going to make the final decision lightly!
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The problem with Bernese is their health issues and their life span is generally short.
  10. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 New Member

Name:
    jayne
    i vote for the norich terriers. fantastic little dogs with lots of personality. will be happy with long or short walks, and as someone as already said very easy to train :)
  11. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    The gundog breeds generally have an oilier coat, hence why the Goldie felt 'sticky' and thus they may be prone to being a bit pongy! certainly the Goldies i've known have stunk to high Heaven of that familiar 'doggy' smell.

Just picking up on something somebody mentioned about border collies:
    I have to say I dont agree with this. I have 2 border collies and they are happy with as much, or as little exercise as I give them, it's my pointer that demands exercise and runs me ragged, not my collies. In all honesty, my collies are very easy going, manageable dogs. Of course, not all of them are like that but I wouldnt tar every member of the breed with the same brush. I will add that one is pet bred, the other is farm bred. I know plenty of collies and they are not how they have been described above.

Again, I dont agree with this. My crossbreed is less healthy than my pedigrees (Cruciate damage and suspected Exercise Induced Collapse).

What about an English Shepherd?
  12. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    as Gill said, I have a Norwich and she's an awesome little dog - I don't understand why everyone doesn't have them!

She's not at all barky or yappy, will do a ten mile walk, or 30 minutes, or slob in front of the TV.
    Loves other dogs, loves rabbits, rats and hens so suspect cats would be fine - the breeder had lots of cats so she was used to them from the start :)

She is cuddly but not clingy and is fine to be left :)
    She enjoys obedience and agility training too :)