Utonagans and Northern Inuits ????? Purpose ! Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Malady, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

Actually only Sibes and Mals are in the working group - GSD's are Pastoral. Therefore I feel that crosses between these breeds do not belong in either group - IMO the only suitable one is Utility, they certainly aren't working dogs :smt102 They were merely created to look like a Wolf - not to serve any other purpose as far as I can gather.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2006
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I think its called a 'Tabby' :grin:
  4. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Why do you say that?
  5. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I thought GSDs were in the working catagory, I stand corrected.
  6. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Feeling dim :(

LOL
  7. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    They're in the pastoral group. Although I honestly think they should be in the working group.

Great pic Insomnia :grin: The cat looks well impressed :lol: :lol:
  8. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    (genuine ? so dont shoot me:) )Not to cause any trouble or arguments but....

some of you have stated that you are unable to answer malady's questions beacuse you dont know as you are just owners. Shouldnt you AS OWNERS make it your business to know the answers??

IMHO Id feel slighlty embarrassed not to know my chosen breed inside out and being unable to whole heartidly defend them?
  9. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    OK, firstly I havent' posted again in reply to my original thread as I have dogs and children to look after and cannot spend my every waking hour waiting for a reply !

I was genuinely interested in just receiving answers to my queries, not to start an argument. I am NOT saying that these 'breeds' are not nice, or your individual dogs are not nice, and am not picking on anyone personally, I am enquiring about a breed, and do not need to take up the many invites to meet peoples dogs !

Yes, I have met a few NI's, but never met a Ute !

I do not beleive they should be placed in the Working category as they were not bred for working, they were bred to look like a wolf as a family pet, although when saying, and I quote "it was bred as a pet", then why use these three breeds in particular ?? why not use 3 dependable, reliable, loyal Pet breeds ? Any dog can be capable of anything, regardless of what breed it is, so to say that it 'belongs' in Working because it's capable........does that mean every breed should be in Working then ???

ALL Breeds have Hip problems, so to say that they don't have hip problems is incorrect, just because they haven't been scored ???

I called it a crossbreed as that is what we are referring to. To say that comment is inflamatory is childish. Every breed has it's own faults. You should be able to openly accept the faults of your chosen breed maturely.

I own Malamutes, no other breed.

I don't want an argument, but would like maybe someone to answer who doesn't take everything I say to heart. I am not talking about your dogs personally, I was enquiring about a 'Breed' ?
  10. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Why?? They were bred for a pastoral job ...
  11. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    I took Luca on as a private re-home. I'm STILL researching the breeds before I even think about buying one. As Luca is neither a full Ute or NI, I can't really answer any of these questions.

Malady, the Ute is no longer a crossbreed. It's a pure breed in it's own right, regardless of any health implications.
  12. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    They could be considered as a working breed. JMO
  13. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    wolfie i think the geatest concern about these dogs is that they may become a fashion breed and end up in wrong hands and ultimatley in rescue.

There are enough "wolfie" (god i hate that term) looking dogs out there as it is which are going into rescue. So why breed more. It seems as though there has been a supply and demand culture around these dogs and THAT (correct me if im wrong) is where the deep rooted arguement stems from?!

By no means am i "getting" at you or any other Ute/NI owner on the board. Its YOUR choice what you have and its NOT your fault they are on gods green earth now. BUT to breed a dog to fill a gap in the market IMO is wrong!

HOWEVER saying that they seem to be gorgeous dogs an i hope that breeding is well planned out and we dont end up with another breed riddled with problems for the benefit of the owner:-(
  14. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I think in respect to all you have asked and enquired about most of us would like to learn something also about you? Maybe an introduction on the 'Introduction' page would allow us all to get to know you a bit better and answer your questions. I think its just curtious to do so. :)
  15. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    My tuppence worth........Utonagan & Northern Inuit dogs are not a new fashion breed, god I hate that, we are not the Paris Hiltons having a Chihuahua in our bags people.
    We own dogs that 'yes' they resemble the wolf but this goes back to where all dogs came from. Wolves have had their fair share of extinction and persecution for hundreds of years, and still it continues. We all love what our dogs look like, be it a mongrel with its Heinz 57 or the crossbreed.

Accept it or not these dogs wont be going away. :grin:
  16. Kanikula

Kanikula New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Yes but they were originally bred to acheive looks! which IMO is for fashion! (sorry but thats the impression im getting!)
  17. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Who said they were bred for looks?
  18. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Was it just hearsay or were Chihuahua's given a pea in their brain so they didnt grow?????
  19. ramoth

ramoth New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    And every other breed is purely functional I suppose? People keep harping on about how irresponsible all the Ute breeders are, anyone stopped to think how irresponsable the breeders of Pugs or Shar pei etc all because of KC standards these poor breeds suffer from skin diseases and breathing difficulties and who knows what else. The fact that the technology wasn't around when they were first bred hasn't changed the way they look now.

P.s. no offence to owners of Pugs or Shar Pei :grin:

I get sooo tired of coming on here to yet another thread having a bash at the NI's and Ute's.

Malady go to the pub have a beer and get on with your life and leave these guys alone 8)
  20. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    my thoughts exactly, when at crufts this year, i saw neopoltan mastiffs that looked so unhealthy, and if they had excellent hips, im a flamin chinaman, but... each to their own, i have never had any health problems, bar one, remember marv bless him, my dogs love running to harness, they arent great at it, not as focused as the husky or mal , they are all very agile, temperaments second to none, i have 7 grandchildren and there is no dog i would sooner trust than my N.I with them, so you think there is no purpose to them, well they make me happy which is purpose enough for me:grin:
  21. Luz

Luz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Brings me to the question as why cant Utonagan & Northern Inuits be classed as working when they were born from the sled dog? Or am I just opening another can of worms?????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.