Things you think are 'wrong' with wolfy type crosses/new 'breeds'? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by Alphatest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    I wouldn't say they are difficult but are very intelligent, there are lots of difficult owners and inexperienced ones that faced with an intelligent dog just dont have a clue.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    FACT this died dog having suffered cluster fits:

Born 3 June 2003, her family line is as follows

Dam, Shadowlands Angua of Yukon
    G Sire, Mahlek Dante, Shadowlands
    G Dam, Mahlek Hayoka, at Shadowlands

Sire Mahlek Windchaser
    G Sire, Mahlek call of the wild
    G Dam, Mahlek Inooka

See a pattern emerging, a common denominator Efes?
  4. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    I don't doudt there are some health issues, but I think it is being greatly exaggerated by a few people who have different motives to discredit the breed.
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Rubbish and you know it. Why dont you mention you own Ni too?
  6. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Most NI go back to Mahlek lines I think its probably hard to find an NI that doesn't.
  7. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Its unfortunate you think my opinion is "rubbish" but I am entitled to it and its one I stand by...for now
  8. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    How on earth are breeders supoosed to know which recessive alleles therir dog has? They don't so they shouldn't be doing it, simple as! What Dr. Whatever has written (above) is true, but practically, you will never know if 'full brother and sister are genetically free of disease', and so that it's not a valid argument for inbreeding.

Anyway, why try and condone inbreeding?

The fact is, this breed shouldn't have all the health problems it has, this early on in its development. All the inbreeding that has gone on has resulted in affected dogs. Can't you see that? There shouldn't be one disease that this breed is associated with, but the fact that the same diseases are cropping up, maybe not ha huge percentage at the moment, but the fact thay are there at this stage is worrying.
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You are indeed, and re owning an NI?
  10. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I am trying to catch up with all the threads as I have been away so sorry if this has been discussed later in the thread:001:

I notice you have said how stable NI/Ute appear but I would have to question this as I have notices several threads on another forum (did not want to cut and paste them because I think that would be unfair for the posters) about using Illusion, prong and E collars on their dogs. The President even stated where NI owners could get prong collars at good prices. Now to me if NI's are needing this kind of control, you cannot say that they have good temprements.
    Either they are difficult to train and control which could piont to a problems with the dogs that are being bred (they are bred as companions:? ) or they are being sold to inappropriate owners and this should be address.
  11. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    I have no motives by the way, and just the fact that a few of these dogs have these genetic diseases is worrying enough for me.

I just get passionate about this kind of thing, as the breed is in trouble because some people decided not to research properly and have left it in a bit of a mess. If I could do anything to help these dogs, I would, as I hate to hear of their suffering, and that of their owners. The only thing I can do to help at the moment is try and persuade people to stop inbreeding, so that's what I'm doing.

I have no reason to discredit the breed, I'm just upset that people think it's doing fine, and that it won't succumb to inbreeding, contrary to scientific fact.
  12. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Do you own an NI?

If you do why havent you been honest about it?
  13. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Excellent post, its no secret that i'm completely against the use of prongs & e'collars & i have made these very same points on the forum you mention. I have also asked why if they are so sucessful & the dogs are so intelligent they dont 'get it, what you want them to do' after a short time, why keep using them?
  14. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Monorchidism is a genetic fault. Dogs exhibiting this condition should never be used for breeding and should be neutered. As bitches don`t have the equipment it`s not them who will exhibit the condition which leaves one gender of affected dogs which should be neutered and not bred from.
    The same applies to Cryptorchid dogs.
    HTH ;-)
  15. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    NIs are not easy to train sorry but saying otherwise is absurd your just inviting poeple who havent a scooby to buy one of these breeders who pop them out.

It is quite common for there to be behaviour issues with NIs and even the breeders are having issues and using e-collars and recommending them.

I got Kato as a re-home as had issues which I worked on and sorted and a few new ones have cropped up recently which I have dealt with but thats because I know what I am doing a newbie would end up re-homing or PTS as has happened.
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

17. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I would not say (compared to other dogs i have owned) that Kiesha has been easy to train, she is very much a work in progress. I daresay if i electrocuted her or dug prongs into her neck she would get a lot quicker what i wanted her to do however i'm not prepared to do that.
  18. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
  19. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    As far as I know, there was no reason....it was just part of the standard contract the people signed when they took the dog on....btw....one was an Irish Setter and on a Lab. ....Not sure about what was said with regards to breeding.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  20. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H

You are talking to someone who has an entire rescue...;)!

He is a fantastic dog, no aggression (will just stand there even if being attacked), not marking indoors, no humping....I am not one for trying to fix something that isn;t broken!
  21. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member