Things you think are 'wrong' with wolfy type crosses/new 'breeds'? Discussions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by Alphatest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil

I suppose it might depend on the breed, some are fully grown by 18 months, others take 24 and so on. Don't know it for a fact, just read it somewhere, can't remember where.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Heidi1

Heidi1 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Hi Lionhound, of course no one can say that a breed is less aggressive than all other breeds, but I would say in my experience NI are on the lower end of the aggression scale as a breed, based on many that I have met.
  4. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    Ok only just wading my way through this thread but quick question Efes, i may well have missed it but where are your facts and figures taken from about 40% cavs being PTS and about GSDs being the most aggressive?
  5. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    It's been mentioned on 2 tv programs/documentaries, the last one being the Martin Clunes one. It was also in a book of the origins of breeds that I got out from the library several years ago.

I've already said I was wrong about the GSD's. It actually said that you were half as likely to be bitten by a wolfy dog than a GSD. it's the report on the defra site.
  6. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Sorry for the delay in replying; I've been on holiday.:mrgreen:

I agree - this is what has been happening with my dog's mother and brother, even though there is epilepsy, Addison's and VWD in there. The problem is that to keep breeding from lines with hereditary illnesses means that the illnesses will continue to come out and some other poor owner will suddenly find themselves with a sick dog at the expense of greedy, blinkered breeders.

It is huge IMO, see reply to Patch above and it is more so in a breed with a small gene pool.

It ISN'T just my dog's siblings though. There are dogs with common dogs on their pedigrees that are showing these problems. I know of a dog with common relatives that has Addison's, NOT a sibling but related. There is another member on here with a related dog that has very aggressive epilepsy another whose dog also has epilepsy and another borderline VWD. I know of another that died from VWD.

Good idea!:mrgreen: That's what most of us are having to do.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Originally Posted by Efes123
    In conclusion, I will keep an eye on my fella for any symptoms of the health problems that are around, but I'm not going to start worrying about what might happen now.

'Good idea! That's what most of us are having to do' Quoted: 'Lucky Star'.

As we have to do with all our pets.
  8. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

Most of us don't have to worry so much though