The journey of Cash - my Hovawart Photos

Discussion in 'Hovawart' started by Dogloverlou, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well I emailed Bham national show themselves to enquire about the possible mistake and they said they are aware of it but that they must follow the judges slips and the results reported match the slips. God knows what any of that means, but it looks like it will stay that way.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Not a very satisfactory answer! It sounds as if they have realised that Cash should have been BD though. They are probably hoping that you don't decide to take it any further. As there were no CC's on offer, perhaps it is less stressful to just smile and accept it, (with gritted teeth).
    I bet you will be watching like a hawk next time though.
  4. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    CaroleC likes this.
    They said they've passed the details onto the KC but I don't expect any further action to be taken to be honest. But yes, if I didn't understand all the rules before, I do now and will be more observant next time!

Ah well, at least I can rest assured Cash should have been Best Dog!
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Way to go Cash & Louise :041:
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Congratulations :041: Did you handle him x
  7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I didn't, no. Have another show Saturday where he'll be handled by someone else again, at least for the time being.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It will do him good and at same time learn him the ropes.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Yes it will. He was looking around for me a bit and I had to stand well away from the ring whilst he was in there but hopefully he'll do better with others.
  10. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Azz likes this.
    BTW, if anyone is signed up to Dog World or the like ( I know Jackie is ) and come across Cash's critique please let me know :)
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Will do Louise.
    Being a Champ. Show it shouldn't be long.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I took a look yesterday, not up yet , but will post as soon as I see it .
  13. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Thank you both :)
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As my copy is a hand me on, I'm sure that Jackie will be first with the report. I keep thinking about doing Our Dogs online, but I don't find it a very user friendly site.
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    CaroleC likes this.
    I have to agree, its a flippin nightmare, I am having trouble at the moment just getting on line. I also do dogworld, world a much easier site to navigate, not long had a look , critiques are not up yet.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I can remember eagerly awaiting critiques, some took months, some judges never done them and others weren't informative at all. (Has things changed at all. ?
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have only done two Open shows with Merry - 2 firsts and a third. She did get one mention, (the third), but no write ups, unless they were in OD. Entries can be very low though, even in popular breeds, so perhaps judges just think that it is a waste of time.
    Champ. show write ups are compulsory, but I think they only have to submit to one dog paper to fulfil their contract.
    Obedience reports are very hit and miss. Ed had six online last year, and he did have a good year. There can be no write up even for a CC class, but when you do get them they do go down to sixth place.

Did anyone else bring a super cold home from Brm. Nat.? I should have been at an Ob. show today, but can only squeak!

Sorry to go OT on your Puppy thread Lou.
    Ps. I think he's old enough for an adult one now.
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No, still the same, some come through very quickly , other mths if at all !
  19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    No worries Carole. Besides, it's not really off topic ;) I only have two/three critiques for Cash. I think it's a shame that it's not mandatory for judges to submit their critiques, or even give you a verbal critique on the day. After all, we pay our money to be judged, so it's not fair that you don't always revive a one.

Anyway, whilst waiting, we did another show last weekend and came a respectable 3rd out of 6 dogs I think it was. Used a handler again who did her best with him but Cash wouldn't pace and that made him look wobbly on movement. I don't really know how to improve that as I know that's something he's inclined to do regardless if who is handling. The rest of the breed community were quite pushy about me handling him next time and I can't be sure whether that's in support of me getting back out there or not. Perhaps they feel I'm making it look to serious with use of a handler and that I need to relax. Who knows. But what I do know is that someone else has a better chance of showing him to his best.

I'm going to practice at a few fun shows from now up until July for National Working & Pastoral breeds, so we shall see. But I know I'll be made to feel a bit awkward using a handler again I think :(
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Gsd’s can amble if not moved at correct speed, to get them to gait I used the command ‘walk on’ to speed them up and then adding different words for varying speeds.
    To teach 'walk on' take a natural behaviour, such as walking faster than the human and going infront, and mark it with a cue word till they connect the speed you want with word used.
    You have to find the speed that suits him, I used to get someone to watch me gaiting up and down and round, and tell me how fast the dog should be moving.

I only used their show-collar/lead when practising, they soon learn that when this collar is on we are doing ringcraft/gaiting ect: and when it's off we're not.

Don’t be pushed into handling him yourself until you are ready.
  21. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree with the above, have you considered you and handler may be trying to move him to fast, try a slower pace for now...also agree don't be pushed into handling him if you are not ready yet.