Shar Pei Discussions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Aaah, those puppies are just the sweetest!! Love the fuzzies :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Name:
    Linda
    This one climbs right inside the food bowl so always needs a wash and a blow dry after its eaten, lol
    [​IMG]
  4. Vodka Vixen

Vodka Vixen New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Gorgeous pups Dizzy :mrgreen:
  5. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Pardon my ignorance, but are they what are known as 'bear coat' or is that something different altogether?
  6. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Yes they get called bear coats, some cast out and others dont but i think most dont
  7. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Thanks for that. I really admire Shar-Pei but have only met one in the flesh.

Lov the pic of the littl'un in the food bowl...his new family are going to have fun keeping him clean!! :mrgreen:
  8. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    what do you mean by fuzzies?
    I noticed out of all the pups in the litter I chose from that some had short velvety fur and others had a longer coat.
  9. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Name:
    Linda
    The 2 acceptable coats are brush and horse, these pups look as though they will have over long coats for the standard at the minute, if they dont cast out they are too thick .
  10. Charisma Love

Charisma Love New Member

Name:
    Carina
    Ahh well I couldn't tell just by looking at them, but they felt differert
  11. Vodka Vixen

Vodka Vixen New Member

Name:
    Jules
    My parents live opposite someone with a bearcoat he's GORGEOUS!!!! My last pei was a horsecoat and Diesel is a brushcoat, i think they are all beautiful but then i'm biased :mrgreen:
  12. deedee2

deedee2 New Member

Name:
    deedee
    Hi u r dogs are nice and the Sharpie is really popular in Glasgow .The cream colored ones are the only colour you see but my father in law has a chocolate brown one and she is a Royal.Even though they are Japanese fighting dogs they are a very elegant and good natured dogs .I know they can suffer problems with their eyes that is related to breeding.Some breeders disagree with getting their eyes operated on.They believe your ruining the breed but they struggle to see due to the eye lashes pressing in to the eyes and they become jumpy when clapped as they don't see your hand .and often bump into things.The operation is expensive and does not always work but you go back to the vet and once able to see properly you can see their once mainly hidden eyes and the dog looks happier .I agree with the vet rather than some breeders and have the op.My father in laws dog stopped acting timid and jumpy after her op.She had a new lease of life now that she could see.The brown is unusual and her coat is short.Do any of the other types have brown hair?
  13. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Name:
    Linda
    I doubt any breeder i know would object to eyes having ops done if they needed it, what a lot of breeders will suggest is that they tack them first and see if that works rather than have skin removed, ive seen very few bad eyes in the breed so maybe its a breeder who isnt having puppy tacks done when needed which is a temporary measure and usually all that is needed

brown pei are about, a brown one will have a black nose and black foot pads, a chocolate one will have a self coloured nose and lavender tongue pigment, maureen on my website was a brown horsecoat

just took a snap of the girl i love in this litter a day short of 4 weeks

[​IMG]
  14. deedee2

deedee2 New Member

Name:
    deedee
    Thank you for u r reply the breeder the brown royal came from never clipped her eyes up as apup .She just advised people who had never owned this breed not to get its sewn.The vet said her eyes where really bad so the breeder couldnt have done what u suggested as a pup.She seemed much happier .Everyone found it strange how she kept banging into furniture.We found it funny that this dog loved strange food like curry and other nippy foods we never had a clue so being naive we just thought that since they originate from japan thats why she loved curry ha,she was the first one we d ever seen or heard of we were amazed at this unknown dog ,this was 8 yrs or so.I ve only seen two brown ones in glasgow.They all look like yours and have become a breed that u see often.Your puppies are really cute and their wee chubs r u keeping one?
  15. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Name:
    Linda
    they are Chinese !!!! close :lol: Chinese Shar-Pei

Im keeping the girls the boys will be going to pet homes
  16. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    [​IMG]

Beautiful puppy, Always admired the Pei's :grin:
  17. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    How common is it for this breed to require eye surgery?
  18. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Eye surgery has more or less been bred out in most lines, we are not allowed to show dogs that have had surgery and you can see around 70 pei at each champshow so things must be improving
  19. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Oh thats great news :)
  20. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    [​IMG] Suki at 10 weeks

[​IMG] Another same age

[​IMG] Suki at 1 year old

[​IMG] Suki at about 5 years, very unusual photo she hated the cold and snow, rain or wind.

Just wanted to share these with you, some of my girl. RIP
  21. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Suki was a beauty!!