Papillon or Chihuahua??? General Chat

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by clover, Aug 25, 2006.

1. clover

clover New Member

Name:
    clover
    oops!! sorry shanik :blush: i was juz goin thru this thread n noticed my reply that said 'ur granddaughter' which is supposed to be ur gran...sorry..my fault :mrgreen:

oh,n thanks everyone hor ur information..really appreciate it :mrgreen: i think i will go for the papillons..
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Abbeypap

Abbeypap New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Hello Clover
    So glad you have made your decision on which breed of dog to have live with you. As a person well and truly owned by Papillons I can tell you that you are in for some fun times.
    Regards
    Joan
  4. surfthetide

surfthetide New Member

Name:
    heidi
    good choice !
    let us know how it goes!
    heidi
  5. tiago

tiago New Member

Name:
    carley
    Good choice hope to see some pics when you get it.

I have got a chihuahua and she's evil:twisted: lol, She thinks she's the biggest hardest dog in the world, and as for house training well she just is'nt she turned 1 in november and she still wee's and poohs in the house, Every dog i have owned have all been house trained but she just wont:cry:

She is gorgeous though and i love her to bits:grin:

This is when i first fetched her home
    [​IMG]

And a vid of her with drago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ0o-q5DM4c

Anyways good luck
  6. Shirleyc

Shirleyc New Member

Name:
    Shirley
    Yeah my Chihuahua is hard as nails!! He is really good for training though! Funnily enough I call Fudge the evil chihuahua they are hilarious!! Hes one on Saturday ahhh. I think we should get them together and have beautiful babies!
  7. evilkitty123

evilkitty123 New Member

Name:
    lily
    hi i had both! and chihuahuas are naturally territorial and protective, Chihuahuas can be easily provoked to attack, and are therefore generally unsuitable for homes with small children, but not in all cases. The AKC describes the breed as, "A graceful, alert, swift-moving little dog with saucy expression, compact, and with terrier-like qualities of temperament." The breed tends to be fiercely loyal to one particular owner, but may be attached to more. They do not always get along with other breeds. These traits generally make them unsuitable for households with small or boisterous children.

Chihuahuas crave attention, affection, exercise and being pet. They can be hyper, but eager to please. They have a reputation as a "yippy" dog, which can be resolved with proper training. Chihuahuas with proper breeding are not "yippy"; the AKC standard calls for "a terrier-like attitude." Long haired chihuahuas tend to have a more mellow temperament.

Chihuahuas are not well-suited as small children's pets because of their size, temperament, and tendency to bite when frightened. It is recommended that children be school aged or older before adding a Chihuahua to one's home. Also, many Chihuahuas focus their devotion on one person, becoming overly jealous of that person's human relationships. This can be mitigated through socialization. Chihuahuas also tend to have a "clannish" nature, often preferring the companionship of other Chihuahuas over other dogs.

In southern California in 2009, three Chihuahuas protected their mistress, a three-year-old girl, from a 100 pound mountain lion

papillon The Papillon has the appearance of a dainty toy breed, but many owners will claim that their dogs are "big dogs in little dog suits". Some people find that their Papillon is very capable of handling a good five-mile walk. One aspect of the Papillon that has led many to believe the "big dog" assertion is this breed's surprising athletic ability. In contrast to its staid and stately representation in the Old Master portraits, the Papillon is highly energetic and intelligent. The breed is far older than any other represented by the AKC and is more notable for its psychological abilities than its athletic parlor tricks; the Papillon's true strength lies in its ability to perceive the emotional needs of its owner and to translate them into a healthy psychological environment. In other words, the animal becomes what the owner needs at the time, depending on circumstances. Provided their genetic structure is sound, and they are not the product of "puppy mill" inbreeding, they are generally healthy animals. Papillons are built for movement, and most do not need any encouragement to apply their energy to athletic activities!
    so now you get to choose.
  8. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Hi I am thinking of getting a papillon as my next dog (I have an 8 mnth GSP whos a big softy and I would not get a pap untill hes a year or two older)

But I'd just like to know a bit more about them from the people who own them / know more about them.

Few Qs

Are health issues a big probablem at all if so what are the issues.

Do they have as good a temperment as I've read about so far, are any of them at all nervous or anxious.

Are they very fragile?

Being lively is not a problem as used to dogs who need allot exercise.

And I love there coat but if it got to long (for my likeing) could you trim it with out effecting the texture.

Sophie
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    hi, i live with 2 papillons and they are amazing little dogs :grin: there arent really any health problems with the breed just sliiping patella but to be honest all small dogs are at risk from this.
    temperment wise ours are fine. the girl we have is a bit more nervous than the boy, she tends to bark at noises she hasnt heard before, but they arent nervous and our boy is great :grin: he is very outgoing, loves to play with other dogs all shapes and sizes and is very people orientated, he loves a good cuddle.:grin: i wouldnt say they are fragile, just watch for the type of build yougo for, out girl is alot smaller in size than the boy and i would consider her fragile but she still gives as good as she gets and has never had an injury.
    lively they are :grin: they run at 100 miles an hour, love being off lead and agility is a great thing to do with them:grin: they are extremely inteligent and the boy (mylo) has learnt a number of tricks by clicker training, he does the usual sit, stay, wait, down, but then he also knows spin, stands on his back legs and walks backwards, speaks on command, and waves. :grin: :grin: :grin:
    the coat can get quite long but to be honest i wouldnt see the need to trim it, you could if you wanted to but to be honest its very easy to take care of. a quick brush every day with a soft bristle brush does the job :grin:

hope i helped you :grin:
  10. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Hi Thanks thats helped

They do sound like super little dogs I think I'd get a boy, though would want to go and see a few before finally (maybe) getting one.

I'd like to do mini agility at home and little tricks etc we are lucky enough to have three little fields at the mo and there are some nice walks near us which brings me on to why I would want to trim it a little, dogs tend to get very muddy where I go on walks etc, so some of the Papillons with the longer thicker coats (probably older ones which have grow that coat) I'd just trim it if it got too long though I guess it just looks longer on a smaller dog if you get what I mean so don't know if I would trim it.

Thanks for all the info and tips.

You've just got to love those ears.

Sophie

ps love to see pics of yours
  11. Hevvur

Hevvur New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Not if it's a long haired!
  12. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    Either dog will look fantastic provided they have come from responsible breeders if they dont then both will look like thossehorrible ratty inbred things you often see.

Ive seen a lot of ill bred chihuahas around going for high prices some catch up to £1,000 not I idea what the Papilion goes for never seen one for sale. My advice is research both breeds and find the bests breeder you can afford whatever you choose.

I was at a Park and saw this little chihuahua pup he was just perfect well formed and looked in great health he was bouncing around the park waggig his tail. I think people are getting away from the handbag dog idea I see a lot more people now out walking their chi's then I did before.

But I think between the two my money would be on the Papilion (Butterfly dog)) I wa volunteering at a charity shop and go chatting to an owner who handed me her dog for a cuddle he and was the lightest thing ive ever picked up. I think Papilions have sweeter characters or maybe it was just this one this little guy was relaxed and chilled I could have taken him home with me.