Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Patch, Feb 24, 2009.

?

Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please

1. Dog A

90 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. Dog B

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    You are sooooo naughty, gsdmad. First you vote then you say that:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I voted A - I know absolutely nothing about GSDs at all but to me dog B looks like he needs crutches. If they are being bred like that to show, then that's another reason that I don't agree with show dogs being 'perfect' as so many people think you should only breed from a dog that has done well in the show ring:roll: I am sure some of these breeds would be far more healthy if they were more to their 'natural' appearance. Shortening muzzles and arching backs, can't be good if you ask me - tut tut:002:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I 'like' the look of dog A Dog B does not look quite right to me but the colouring looks more like what I would call a German Shepherd, but I am certainly no expert, I have never owned one.
    Elaine x
  4. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Dog A for me i dont like the slopped back at all x
  5. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I've not read any of the posts but absolutely, unequivocally, dog A. Lovely straight back and tucked up tummy. This dog looks the more physically healthy to me.

Edit:

Sorry Patch, I didn't read properly. I shared my childhood with a white GSD.
  6. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Yeah, it's bugging me too, why can't we vote then?????:?
  7. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    Overall, I'd have to go for A. I just can't imagine how B's hind construction is useful? Its hind legs look nothing like wild dogs or wolves which have evolved over hundreds of thousands of years - it looks really manufactured and odd. I know all breeds are shaped by man, but I don't like exaggerations like this - it looks like it's an effort for it to stand.
  8. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Hi Patch,

Interesting question :D

I voted for dog A.

I know nowt about showing, so am looking at this purely from a pet owners perspective.

I think dog B looks so wrong - uncomfortable at the back end, which is far too low for my liking. I would suspect that this would cause hip problems in a breed already quite well known for hip displaysia (I believe).

I think this came up recently after the Crufts/KC debacle regarding the breeding of these beautiful dogs.

Personally, I would prefer healthy dogs rather than those than conform to a (in my opinion) standard that appears to be health detrimental.
  9. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

As mentioned it`s purely to get non-owner/non experienced views initially, then we can open it up to past and present owners after non owners have had a chance to speak, that`s all :grin: I have`nt put a time limit on the poll so the voting won`t be closed, every one will get the opportunity to offer views and vote, but please be patient just for a few days for non owners to have a say first, t`would be most appreciated :grin:
  10. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    [​IMG] Thanks Patch:blush: I'll try and be very patient then;-) :grin:
  11. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    haha we'll see how long that lasts then........:shock: only kidding H.
  12. hectorsmum

hectorsmum New Member

Name:
    julie
    i prefer Dog A.

i dont like the sloped back on Dog B it looks deformed and i do know they suffer later in life with their hips. ( an ex had one)
    but i've never owned one so i qualify. hehehehe!!
  13. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I was going to say that, but thought I would keep my head down lol
  14. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Thank you :mrgreen:
    Love the zipper smilie :044:
  15. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Voted for dog A, dog B doesn't look much different between the two poses and is too sloping on the back for my liking.
  16. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    Dog A. Dog B looks as though it has, or will have, hip trouble.

Snorri
  17. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Dog A but I don't like her head, ear set or coat, I don't think she is a very good example overall but is certainly better build construction wise.
  18. nero

nero New Member

Name:
    denis
    "A" for me, never owned one but I can see good conformation, especially in the hind quarters.
  19. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    I know you dont want comments from us yet but I will loose track of the thread, pic B type doesnt look like the same dog in both pics and the second one is not a relaxed pic it as been stopped mid stride.
    Re police apart from gifted dogs the police still do have some European Showlines although a lot have now gone other to European workline not English workline.
    Re HD the first one is more likely to have it the second will not as pics taken at the Seiger show and dogs would not be shown if they did not have their hip/elbows/and heamo tests done and at acceptable levels for breeding.
  20. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    No no no we can't wait a few days I'm going to burst if i can't say and vote sooner.
  21. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    Dog A, without a doubt, dog B looks awful :sad: