NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    This is a great thread - can we please stick to its purpose? i.e. INFORMATIVE answers to the OP?

Admin Pleeeease can you remove off-topic posts BEFORE this interesting and informative thread degenerates into a war zone? The OP CLEARLY stated that she was NOT after any argument, but FACTS about NIs from their OWNERS only.

Members can always start another DISCUSSION thread on the same subject if they like so there is no need for opinions/hearsay/conjecture/argument here. For ONCE, can we please stick to FACTS and INFORMATION only?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. S23Doe

S23Doe New Member

Name:
    Doe
    Hear Hear well said, :grin:
  4. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Its not informative as is not fact and cant be factual as only some people are commenting
  5. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Any information is informative, one way or the other. I have a BI with no health problems and he's registered with the BIDC. That is a fact, whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you.
  6. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Please can you keep such comments to the NI/Ute Health Problems DISCUSSION Thread below? THIS thread is for answers to the OP and NOT discussion/debate/argument.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=92484
  7. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    kcjack, I fail to see how owners giving truthful accounts of their dogs health can be anything other than factual.

Obviously, I understand that only certain people are replying and this does not give a representation of the whole breed, however, it does give a very good indication of the normal everyday owners NI's.

It also clearly shows that no one, as of yet, has come forward and stated that their dog is suffering from some of the diseases/illnesses that have been mentioned in other threads.

Now, I would be grateful if the thread could be kept on topic.
  8. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Just to let everyone know, the results so far are as follows:

50 NIS registered NI's - 1 who had an infantile heart murmur, 1 with undescended testicle, 1 high hip score and 1 uneven above average hip score (25), 1 pup waiting for testicle to drop, 1 with seasonal tummy rash

9 TIDA registered NI - 1 cryptorchid, 1 idiopathic epilepsy carrier.

2 BIDC registered BI - No health issues to date

1 TUA registered Utonagan - Idiopathic epilepsy sufferer.

3 TIDA/NIS registered NI’s – 1 with epilepsy, a blood clotting disorder, retained testicle, grass allergy and 1 with HD to right hip and retained testicle

5 Not stated or not registered (1 NI x, 2 Ute, 2 NI) - No health issues to date

Total of 71 dogs.

If anyone else would like to add their details please feel free to do so or if you would prefer not to be named, please PM me and I will post them without naming anyone.

Thank you.
  9. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I know 3 over the age of 10 :roll:
  10. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Because its not an accurate overall clear picture and feel could be misleading.
  11. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    But the point is ANY info is better than none!
    you cant win, people say nothing, you all complain

people talk and its just not good enough,,,

I dont think anyone plans to use the info from this thread as statistics for the breed

can we please just let those willing to give info, give it without anyone jumping on there back for once!

if you want to know about other issues of NI health or mortality rates start another thread,
    thats what I would do
  12. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Thank you Shona.
  13. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    It does give a very uneven and inaccurate view though... as most owners do not have internet access or are not members of this forum.. i was just wondering if this is another attempt to try and show up or discredit other groups. What about all the NI that have died, their owners won`t be on here, giving stats or telling what faction they belong to :002:
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    No one can help people not having access to the internet, All that can be done is find out from others who do have the net what there experiance is,

though now you bring it up,

wouldnt it be a great idea if the breed clubs did get in touch with all the breeders and ask them to send questionairs to all there puppy owners,:grin:
    that would give a better insight,

I wonder if people read too much into these threads?

If someone had started a similar thread on any other breed I wonder if it would have gone the same way
  15. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Thats my issues Janie included in these statistics should be puppy/dog deaths and causes. If original poster was that concerned she would of included these.
  16. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    i`m afraid with what`s gone before.. there will always be suspicion, with the intent of NI posts.

I think that all new owners / members are asked to fill in a health survey. So the committee members, i am sure know far more than is made public.
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I think it would need to be started on a new thread, but you would need to focus on more than puppy death rates and causes, you would need to include, ages of dogs, ages of parents and lots more to establish if some blood lines were longer lived than others and so on
  18. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    if everybody was completely honest.. that would be great, but i do fear it won`t be the case.
  19. zero

zero New Member

I think as with any thread on any forum people are sensible enough to know that it can only contain the input of the people able / willing to give it.

I don't see why people would think it is an actual representation of the entire NI population - likewise no other thread on here concerning NI's is either - but sometimes the statements given in those are taken as such - especially when they are negative to the breed.

So long as the info in this thread is taken as a snapshot of the dogs belonging to people on here and not as full representation what's the problem.

I know for sure if there were more unhealthy dogs being discussed than healthy one's some people would say this thread counts towards evidence of an unhealthy population - but because many of the dogs mentioned are healthy up to this point, then it's no good.

Leave it to be what it is! Just another thread on the forum! No big deal.
  20. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    That`s what i tried to say.. but you put it much better :)
  21. zero

zero New Member

....Thanks