New addition Photos

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by Tone, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I would try some mental exercises for her - during or after the walks. A puppy whose brain is tired will sleep. A puppy with an alert brain and tired bones will get into trouble.

Puppies (and kittens) definitely learn more skills, especially social skills, in a home with an older dog(s). In the wild, they would remain with their family for far longer than 8-12 weeks learning how to behave around other dogs, learning how to identify danger, and so on. They will learn restraint in their play, how to communicate, etc. And they learn who they can trust and who should be avoided.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    We do have a couple of dog puzzle games that you can hide treats in and they have to work out how to get to them to get the treats, it didn’t take buddy long how it worked, but beau was like nah not interested if your not giving them to me. Might give her them and see if she can work them out as quick as buddy had.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Eddie was my last puppy, and my first Beagle. He was 4 months when he came from rescue kennels, but he came to a house with an older dog - and one that worked obedience and working trials. I think he just assumed that he was expected to do the same job.
    The next two were middle-aged former show and breed ladies. Merry tried hard but never learned to resist following scent, Tally would never even consider working for a living. The same breed characteristics, but all shaped by their early experiences.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Tornado-dog requires human interaction. Giving him a puzzle toy held him for only a couple minutes. Instead, I had to make time to play games with him to tire him out. His favorite game was, and is, try to take my ball. I try to trick him in new ways to get his ball from him - each new trick has him having to rethink his technique to keep it from me. And that settles him down nicely.
  6. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    She does I noticed when she’s found a smell pull and you are not allowed to take her away from what she is smelling until she has finished and then she walks away herself, she like anchors down her back legs spread eagled to the ground. Which is fine I let her until Beau is pulling the opposite way like come on, so I’m stuck in the middle of both. Luckily he comes back and waits.
    She’s is not really interested in a ball, yes in running to keep up with Beau but not to pick up the ball, she puts her mouth over it and then lets it go to jump on Beau instead. It’s like a you run and I’ll chase you kinda thing.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Bat-dog had a beagle nose. She was the same, she anchored herself until she was finished smelling. I just tried to remember that we weren't in a race and didn't have a required goal. If she wanted to spend an hour sniffing at something, I was happy to do so. Aunt C has a more difficult time with that - she wants constant movement and when the dogs stop to explore, she gets antzy and tries to hurry them along.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tally is scent fixated too, she seems keen on squirrel and bird scent - plus all the popular dog pee spots of course. Both previous Beagles were rabbit obsessed and loved chasing a ball, but Tally is only interested in those tiny Kong squeaky ones - too small to be safe.
    Her favourite game is searching for the things I hide in the garden. I will hide four different items - things like a 2" square of welly boot rubber, 3" piece of plastic hose, a wooden peg, a shotgun cartridge, a knotted piece of cord etc. She has a good retrieve and brings them one by one, but his weekend I included a teaspoon. She marked it but refused to pick it up - both previous Beagles would carry keys and teaspoons. I think we will have try a key on a leather tag to get her started. A dog that will find lost keys might actually be useful!
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I keep telling mine they need to work for their room and board. They laugh...

Last night, Tornado-dog was snooping around the kitchen. I called him out and Cat-dog came looking all innocent. I told her I wasn't falling for it - she's as rotten as he is now... I'm so proud of her.
  10. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    Well so far she has worn out both my dogs, they are both asleep on the sofa. She’s like the tasmanian devil, she never winds down. She’s fixated on buddy’s ears and he’s like I don’t want to play, Beau has started to grumble at her, like that is enough!! So now she’s trying the cats and they spit at her. Only thing I found that entertains her is a beef bone of the dogs but only for a few minutes everything else is boring after a few seconds.
  11. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    20:54 and she’s finally flaked out, she’s been non stop all day without one break. :015: If she don’t sleep tonight, I know I certainly will
  12. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    Finally 88C9D933-D67F-442F-9AC7-21B80C90583E.jpeg
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    They're lovely when they are asleep. You'll be so relieved when she goes home. Thank goodness they eventually grow out of it.
    Athena is unusual, that's the first time I've seen a Beagle with hind dew claws, though I have heard that they can crop up occasionally.
  14. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    I most will @CaroleC i now think she is worse than what Beau had been and I thought he was bad enough, but he did go to his bed when told, she looks at you like hmmm no I want to annoy these. Yes they did pick an unusual name, but then their other dog was called Zues so I think they like godly names. Yes she has 2 back dew claws. But the vets said to leave them unless she catches them and makes them bleed.
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    As I tell Tornado-dog:

When do I love you?
    I love you when you are asleep
    When you're sleeping
    And when you're not awake.
  16. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    IMG_3347.jpeg :023:Well we’re all becoming the best of friends after 24 hrs and a little calmer, a few grumbles here and there from the other 2 but getting less and less E2E1E74A-946C-4C49-AF59-C19DA41ED464.jpeg
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    That's lovely. She's settling in now!
  18. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    Yes she is, but she will be going home tomorrow afternoon, so she will have to settle back in to her routine again there. I think these pair just might be glad in a little way, they won’t be having their ears pulled about anymore. It’s been hectic at one point and we’ve only had a couple of wet patches on the floor, leaving her mark that she’s been here. But all in all she wasn’t to bad really.