I've created a monster - fussy eater greyhound Diet

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Mazhound, Jun 6, 2009.

1. girliebiker

girliebiker New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    my lurcher is a very fussy eater!! had all sorts of probs with kibble!!!:-( I changed to a raw diet and he loves it!!! :grin: When you have four dogs and one who wont eat it can be a worry. Indi now has minced meat and tripe with a good wholemeal biscuit and has put on weight. the vet cant believe how well he looks now. He is ten and a half years old.

[​IMG]

OK I know it is in the snow, but he looks so good!!!:grin:
    Hope you find something he will eat, dont try too many different things to soon either.
    Good on you for taking him in!!!
    Good Luck!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My dogs don`t eat plain kibble either. I always pop something on the top to add smell and flavour - mince, a spoonful of beans, some grated cheese, a small tin of dogfood split between the 4....
    Why not?
  4. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    My show greyhound has never eaten raw meat. We always have problems getting weight on him. Last week I started my young hooligans sorry whippets on raw chicken mince to get a bit more condition on them. I was so impressed by the amount they put on in a short time that I started putting just a tiny bit into William's food. Now a week later he will eat 200g in the morning and the same again at night mixed in with his normal food. He has put on loads of weight in the last week. Hopefully he will carry on eating it and will soon get up to his proper weight.

It has taken me 5 years to get him to eat raw meat. You never know we may eventually get him to eat a chicken wing or to chew on a bone.:grin:
  5. lnolan

lnolan New Member

Name:
    lnolan
    Hello

I had the same problem I have a little greyhound pup, who woudl only eat chicken and no kibble, I have tricked her and get one chicken breast and get it into a paste and mix with tablespoon with kibble, works wonders no more problems. I have a small supply in freezer and am lowering amount of chicken on kibble.

Also if not eating food within 20 mintues remove from the floor and he will realise he had to eat when you say not when he says, my little one when on a protest for a whole weekend and refused to eat, this is when I had to take steps, I never leave the bowl down all day for her to brouse and she now sits and wait for food. Also greyhounds dont wolf their food down they are very delicate eaters, hope this helps!
  6. Mazhound

Mazhound New Member

Name:
    Maz
    Weird - Bones inhales anything edible in a nanosecond, whilst making snorting noises! I have never seen any creature so motivated by food!

I have also discovered that he will eat plain kibble when very hungry.

Very interesting to hear everyone's views / advice on this - thanks.
  7. Digsby

Digsby New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Sounds like mine :) He doesn't do it *all* the time, but the inhaling/snorting noises are a regular occurrence. He's certainly not a delicate eater.
  8. hoosierdeb

hoosierdeb New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    I though I was the only one with a fussy eater...My old IGGY is so strange. She will gobble something, then I buy more, because I think she likes it...only to have her snub it...on and on this goes.