Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla or Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer? Discussions

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by peedie, Mar 29, 2009.

1. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Oh you will have to let me know, might know them if they from norf eest!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Blimey that was a post and a half! :lol: I agree about the HWV though, they do seem to be the calmest of most of the HPRs. There was a Weim at the Grouse Pointing Test too, it was just a grey blur on the hillside! :lol: ;)

The kennel I was going to get my pup from was Gonegos, I'm now conatcting someone else that has used their stud dog (Gonegos gave me the heads up).

Gonegos is based in Hudswell, Richmond, would be fun if you did know of them. :D
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    My sister has four Spinoni and they do make fab pets. They are really laidback, friendly and trainable - but are quite large, with slobbery beards :-D

I love GWPs - especially my friend's bitch, and would have one in a shot if I wanted a gundog. I live on a shooting estate, and all the keepers up here have GWPs. I would say they aren't for the inexperienced though, and would do best in a working home.

Sorry, don't know much about either breed you originally mentioned, but do love the look of the HWV.
  6. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Thanks guys, this is very interesting :) Those rescue dogs sound great, but I am not looking to take on a second dog until next year, a rescue would definitely be considered then though. After all I have read I think that I would go for a HWV (at the moment :L)
  7. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    My dog is only half Slovak, the other half being GWP. He finds it difficult to control his eagerness and excitement and as a result, can be a difficult dog to train in that respect. He's also very noisy and headstrong but he loves life and wants to get involved in whatever you throw at him so I cant fault him for that. Somebody mentioned sensitivity and it is said that many HPR's are sensitive but mine isnt in the slightest, nothing seems to break his spirit.

I dont have any experience of HWV's or full Slovaks but both are beautiful dogs and are on my wish list. Like others, i'll be waiting until the Slovak is a more stable breed so for me, it would be the Viz.

All HPR's by their very nature are more challenging to train because you have all 3 elements to work on and it can get complicated. They are not an easy dog to own really.
  8. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hi Leanne! :grin: Not spoken to you in ages! You could be talking about my Grey there. I would say exactly the same. Very eager which makes him hard to handle because of my weight ratio with him sometimes. But lovely character (they love him at kennels) but defo headstrong. I can't fault him on sociability except he was humping for england on dogs he thought he would get away with it! he will also bark his head off if he can't get to something he wants. But then again he's a big boy and it sounds like the girls are much calmer.