How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    According to this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ly-built-NHS-Nightingales-lie-near-empty.html

the super hospitals are mostly empty. It is difficult to know what to believe these days, one side saying there are not enough nurses, the other side saying there are, and who knows which is telling the truth.

It is positively frightening, just not knowing what the facts really are.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    It looks like they haven't got nearly enough staff for the super hospitals. If the press is to be believed (what am I saying, of course they can't) Nightingale London were turning people away yesterday through lack of staff
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    We have the same problems with testing here in the US. Every day at Trumps press briefing (stump speech for re-election) he says we have plenty of beautiful tests. And everyday all the governor's and city’s and hospitals say we don’t have enough tests. It’s infuriating.

It seems to me that Trump is more concerned about how the virus and the economy are going to affect his chance of being re-elected instead of how this is all affecting the people.
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I do think we will get close to the testing target here by the end of the month. Wales may let it down, but the rest seem to be pulling out the stops and with the army organising testing pop up shops now, I think it's a real possibility we will come close
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris, what about the people who are not allowed to go out, how can they be tested?
  7. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    The tests in the UK are falling well short. The UK seems in a bit of a shambles by all accounts. I live in France and it isn't a lot better here but at least Macron admits his mistakes. The problems with distributing PPE in the UK would be laughable if only that its very serious...
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    They showed the drive-through testing bays on NW TV tonight. Some have had no traffic for a week. Expecting NHS staff to drive from Cumbria to Newcastle on Tyne for a test is a bit of a non-starter. Similar length journeys for those in the South West too.
  9. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    As they are drive through Juli, there isn't an awful lot of risk attached so I'm guessing that mass testing (if and when it gets to that stage) will mainly be done that way
  10. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    If anything, it gives people assurance it’s not necessarily a death sentence. Much better than these news people giving breathless accounts of some meaningless statistics. Figures don’t lie but liers figure.
    If anything, it gives people assurance it’s not necessarily a death sentence. Much better than these news people giving breathless accounts of some meaningless statistics. Figures don’t lie but liars figure.
  11. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Well I believe the actual NHS staff over a bunch of pompous arseholes in government, who have no idea about the normal everyday life we all lead, and are just overprivileged dickheads!
    And I wasn't having a go at your comment either Juli, sorry. I just hate politicians!
  12. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I heard that Germany were testing half a million people a week. And we can't even get 5 thousand! I give up. Rant over, I'm having a chocolate hob nob to cheer myself up!
  13. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Where have you got that figure from? We have tested far, far more than 5,000.

Watch the daily briefing and they give you the numbers of tests already carried out and how many are now being carried out every day
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I obviously do not know if these figures are correct, but according to the Mail Online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Drive-centres-swabbing-four-people-day.html

15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The first vaccine trials are underway. Apparently half the volunteers are to receive the Oxford CV19 vaccine, and as a control, the other half are to have a meningitis vaccine. The volunteers will not know which they have been given, but have been told that the meningitis vaccine is likely to have some protective effect.
    Training of the airport CV sniffer dogs appears to be progressing well. Apparently, the dogs only need 0.5 of a second to identify a carrier.After being so ill without having even spoken a doctor, I would love the chance of taking an antibody test.
    We are back to normal now, and have asked to be taken off the meals on wheels run. So grateful that there was help there when we needed it though. I was told that we could make a donation to the service through Go Fund Me but I am having a real job finding out how to do this, I can't seem to find the right people on the Facebook page. I think I will have to ring the town council about it - and everyone seems to be working from home.
  16. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    My apologies, this was a few weeks ago I heard about Germany. And haven't kept up to date with figures. And I meant 50 thousand sorry, bloody phone! How many people do the UK test a week now then?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Have to say I;m confused over the tests IE:
    Tested on Tuesday (Clear)I catch it Thursday but think I am safe yet I;m spreading it around, or am I missing something?
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Look up ↑↑↑ to post #333 - official figures as published by the Mail Online.
  19. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    You don't honestly believe the media are correct and telling the truth?
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Those figures are not media figures, they are the ones issued by the Department of Health.

Whether the Department of Health are being honest and giving the correct figures or not your guess is as good as mine.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    A person testing clear on a Tuesday [or any day] can catch the virus after the test but would not know unless they became ill and/or were tested again and found to be positive.

The problem is that if a person is infected but is asymptomatic, they do not know whether they are carrying the virus or not, therefore they can infect others.

This is the reason for social distancing.