German Shepherd / Crufts Showing

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by jeagibear, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    1) thank you for taking to the time to point out my spelling mistake.

2) re-read my post, where do you get the idea "I" think the straight back is correct!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Just a thought to bear in mind perhaps ...

Max Von Stephanitz wrote in 1929

"My main “warning-cry” concerns itself with the direction of the breed, which many breeders – many novices – still subscribe to, a direction that would lead us off the beaten path, far off of our breed goal; toward breed ruin. In all my articles, lectures, and judges reports of the last few years, I have desperately tried to point out that we must cling to the breed standard of the working dog, and I gave reasons why we must do so – as it was once laid down, as a model of the breed’s design. I have emphasized over and over again that we should not get overly engrossed in details of outward characteristics, even if they are ever so attractive, when, for the breeding value of the dog, he must be based entirely and decisively upon the totality of hard constitution, good health, endurance, authentic working structure and stable temperament. The vision, the understanding of this standard, is thus sometimes lost. Many young fanciers have unfortunately hardly ever seen correct conformation in respect to these dogs. They become intoxicated with appearance which so often has so little in common with the working dog as he is supposed to be. In this case, the only thing that helps is trusted faith in the system, until one’s pondering leads to eventual understanding. The belief in what is well meant – the thoughtful suggestions and guiding principles – are for the welfare of the breed’s future."

Wise words.
  4. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I'd like to see some videos comparing movement of the different types of gsd, or what is good and bad.... and Moobli I think we deffo need a vid of Zak lol ;-) :007:

I personally prefer the 'straighter backed gsd' or whatever you call it! But it certainly seems the 'straight back' is where the health problems are with regards to lines etc. My Zephyr for example (forget his colour) has a 'straight back', but he is long in the body, his head I would say is too petite for a male, he is nervous aggressive and will most likely suffer from hip problems with age. I love watching him move and will fall over one day for looking down at him instead of watching where i'm going, but he does have a wobble in his back end. He has plenty of energy though and runs around like a loon. I love him more than anything but he isn't a good example of the breed.

I haven't seen much of the bob gsd, but he looks a stunner, and if he has such good health and temperament then fair play.

My idea of a great gsd is (going on photo's alone) Zak!
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Trying to find some footage of working line GSD movement to compare.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  8. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I am glad the issue is being addressed now, that has been my complaint all along and I have asked many many times on many threads for people to explain to my why the dogs hocks waving around is correct - and noone would ever answer me - so thankyou - it is not correct
    Although you say it is just an asthetics problem it IS putting more stress on the joints than a normal dog would have, so I would imagine any weakness there would be made worse

Indeed!
    Just horrible

He was deff the best there imo. I do quite like him. He is a big step forward and way way better than the american winner
    But he is a little cow hocked at some points in that vid - is cow hocked in the standard? and how does it help its ability to do its job wne most breeds are expected to be parralel from the hocks to the floor
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  10. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie
  11. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i thought he was gorgeous!(the bob gsd) ... i also prefer a 'straight' back...partly a reason i have a csv not a gsd ;-)
  12. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
  13. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I've watched all the videos and have to say the first one, even to my untrained eye, looked awful and very weak. It did get slightly better as they went on. I think that I am not used to the gait of a GSD so I possibly could be seeing things a little different.

When I first got Dotty, it took a little while to get used to her movement and I did wonder if she had a problem but that was just because I was used to seeing my other dogs move. As she got older, and I got used to her, I could see why she moved the way she did.

Helen

Helen
  14. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Wow, what a difference between the first few videos and the last one!! Surely it is common sense that if a dog is wobbling about on its back legs there is definitely a problem with its conformation. The pictures of German Shepherds from years ago show a straighter back and less bent back legs - my preference were those 'style' dogs. Also I couldn't spot arched backs in any of the old photos.
    As I said before, I think GSDs are gorgeous dogs, stunning heads, incredibly intelligent and very loyal dogs. GSDs are only one of many breeds that have changed over the years and I for one am delighted that finally the Kennel Club are now starting to address things. It will take generations to make these changes but at least it is a start.
    This has been a really interesting thread to read - albeit heated at times ....... and not surprisingly with some of the comments :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    The crufts BOB was def not my cup of tea at all. :shock:

Give me a Kai anyday....
  16. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    well said SB it amazes me on various forums the ones who slate either have dogs from rescues, bybs or dont own the breed!
  17. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    another one with a rescue from a BYB

My WGSL can do all the above and more - he is not in discomfort and can keep up with my daughters lurchers and he has more stamina than them!
  18. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    if you are fully aware of the problems why bring this up - it is the WGSL folk who push for more stringent testing unlike the person you got yours from who thinks it is okay to breed from affected elbows of both sire & dam
    if you want to talk health issues the worst affected are the pet lines, dont think worklines dont have health issues such has hD, ED, Epilepsy etc because they do
  19. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Hector was a regional herding breed not a GSD
  20. alexgirl73

alexgirl73 New Member

Name:
    Alex
    Well whoopty doo for your dog!! Not sure what mine being a rescue from a BYB has to do with anything, he's a dog, the same as yours. And the reason I don't have a fancy pants show dog is 'cause I don't like the look of them. If you do, that's your concern, but don't get antsy with the MANY who think they look, quite frankly, weird!! And on that note I'm out of this conversation, it's got to the ridiculous stage now.
  21. Luke

Luke New Member

Was there Saturday & Sunday this year, and happened to see the winner in question in the flesh. Not quite my cup of tea, but trust me there was a LOT worse (IMO) there saturday. Some were so low to the ground at the rear, quite long in the back, and such BIG fronts. Just weren't in proportion a lot of them. Again, whilst not my cup of tea he wasn't as ott as some and seemed a real showman.