Dobermann Discussions

Discussion in 'Dobermann' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. trikeschick

trikeschick New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    Our 15 week old Dobe is very, very stubborn - think it's one of their endearing features :grin: Although my OH is very stubborn too, so perhaps as she spends more time with him than anyone else, she truly is like her master :grin: As you can see from the photo below, she even sits on his knee when he's on the computer (can't wait to see how he manages that one in a few months time!

[​IMG]
  4. Murphy

Murphy New Member

Name:
    Liz
    LOL ..she'll make herself fit -those legs just magically bend away :lol: ..lovely picture ;-)
  5. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Ha ha what is it with Dobes sleeping on their masters:

[​IMG]
  6. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    She won't fit in there for long....
  7. trikeschick

trikeschick New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    oh that's soooo cute - Suki is struggling to fit on OH's knee now - I've got some more pix and will post as soon as I download them
  8. trikeschick

trikeschick New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    here you go - proof that Suki can't quite fit on OH's knee now!

[​IMG]
  9. Morgandy

Morgandy New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Morgan loves being picked up and he often weighs 90lbs when he is eating well. My ex used to pick him up since he was little and they had a knack that enabled him to pull himself into my ex's arms by hooking his head around ex's neck. He still expects men to pick him up but no one can manage it. I can almost do it but pick him up over the sofa incase he pulls me over!!!!
  10. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley

Send him round here, Iain my OH picks Sydney up regularly and he weighs in at 46kgs which i think is just over 100lbs. :shock:
  11. Morgandy

Morgandy New Member

Name:
    Kim
    It must be a dobermann thing!!!
  12. Murphy

Murphy New Member

Name:
    Liz
    You've certainly got a pair of stunners there ..but I would argue the toss over the 'silent attackers' ..they are guarding dogs yes but not attacking ..and certainly not silent .they were bred to protect Louis Dobermann on his rounds ,over the years they have become more gentle but still alert .aloof ,proud and loyal protectors of their families but not attackers :?
    (sorry if this is the wrong place , and I'm not having a 'go' ;-) )
  13. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley

Actually, he is probably less of a guarding dog than my Boxer or Jack Russell used to be. I would dispute that he is not silent, he does not make a sound when the doorbell rings, yes I am sure he would make a racket if we actually had an intruder, (probably after he had surprised them ) but apart from that no. He likes to appear unannounced. He is totally non aggressive and He does not respond at all to aggressive dogs. Not a growl or a bark, he literally walks away. We were i believe talking about the way they were perceived to be, and I'm no tax collector. Syd is an extremely balanced dog, happy with his place in life.
  14. Murphy

Murphy New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I'm not disputing what you say ..You're obviously very proud of him and rightly so ..I was just surprised that you used the phrase 'silent attacker' ....it was probably the 'attacker' bit that got to me....defender yes ....but not an attacker :?
  15. Murphy

Murphy New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Sorry ..I've just realised this is not the discussion thread :blush:

Trouble21 I'm not casting asperstions on your dogs , please don't think I am - if a mod could move my posts to the relevant thread then please do - if not feel free to delete them
  16. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    some posts moved to the discussion thread...
  17. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Then i guess i'm just not that defensive of the breed generally and don't feel the need to be quite that pc. There are lots of misconceptions about all breeds, Sydney is the best ambassador the breed could have and thats good enough for me. To me he is a dog, he just happens to be wearing a Dobermann suit. His ways are part genetic and part training just like all dogs. I have no wish to offend anyone but ..........it wasn't me that made all the films with Dobermanns acting as guard dogs trained to attack with their lips curled and snarling, and just because some people see them that way does not mean he has to be that way, and nor would I want him to be. I'm pretty sure Azz understood that.
  18. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Ooops well i've answered it here, so this probably needs moving too.:shock:
  19. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    lol this is the discussion thread :lol:

I didn't think you meant it literally, so knew where you were coming from.

Technically the police and military have used them, but from a pets point of view they're very different, so can see both your points of view :smt052
  20. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    :lol: :lol: :lol: it's late Azz.:lol: :lol:
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Some lovely pics here folks. I have had 2 Dobermanns, I love the breed, but their health issues are so severe it worries me and I would never want another unless they are addressed and breeders get their finger out and do something about them. Such a wonderful dog.
    Dawn.