Do greyhounds have pedigrees? Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Jem, Nov 26, 2008.

1. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Not really sure if these are questions or not? I pressume they don't take them back because they breed so many that they would be over run and also it would not be finacially viable for them and they are in it for the money.

I do not agree with greyhound racing at all because of the number of dogs used and disguarded (among other things). They are considered when they rehome them responsibly because they are doing far more than the other people do who do not need their dogs anymore. e.g. hand them over to rescue centres, dump them in the country side to fend for themselves, cut their ears off before they dump them so that they can't be traced by their tattoos etc etc.

Personally i have never been a dog race and never would but rehoming your dog when you no longer needed is responsible.....as responsible as you seem to get in greyhound racing.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BratPack

BratPack New Member

Name:
    Gabriella
    I work in a greyhound rescue and see first hand the discarded dogs. Some ex-racers who are no longer bringing in money are left in filthy kennels, fed every now and then, covered in fleas and crawling with worms. They come to us and thrive on regular food, grooming, veterinary treatment and human contact and go on to make the most wonderful pets.
    OK there are some responsible caring racing dog owners out there but they are still supporting an exploitative and abusive industry.
    Sorry to rant but when you think what a noble breed they are it seems inexcusable to treat them as livestock or commodities.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
  4. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    I have a retired racing greyhound, shes an absolute sweetie, i'm totally besotted ! i can't recommend them highly enough as pets. I have two kids aged 7 and 10 and shes excellent with them.

If you know the dogs racing name then you can research their pedigree on greyhound data website or you can do by the tattoos in their ears.
  5. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I've just realised that I posted a photo of my ex racer but not my show bred dog. He is not been shown at the moment as he was hit by a car 18 months ago and still has not put his weght back on.

This photo was taken before his accident

[​IMG]

Button is once again be going to crufts to compete in the racing and coursing bitch class

A lot of prople say show greyhounds are bred for looks and cannot run. Although I have no photos last year we went lurcher racing near to us and we ran both greyhounds Buttton was still pretty much race fit and the race was not really long enough for her. For William it was only 6 months after his accident and he should not really have been free running but he raced with Button and although not fast he wasn't fit and he did try his best and really enjoyed himself.
  6. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Freyja - both your dogs are gorgeous and in great condition can I ask what you feed them on ? I have are retired racing grey and she always has sloppy poo - i want to change her food, can you recommend anything ?
  7. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    All my dogs are fed on Fed Mills tracker. My local pet shop has to order in for me specialy. They also have pasta ,rice and any scraps from the table and also veggies.