Boxer / tail docking General Chat

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by late74, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Totaly agree
    and it still seems common around here - seen 5 rottie pups in the last year all docked - annoys me so much cos they only do it because they are used to seeing rotties docked
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    No show breeder would send a bitch to Ireland to be docked as legally docked dogs can only be shown at shows which do not charge the public for entrance, so if they had a really good dog they would never be able to show the dog at Crufts or any other show that charged the public.

Every boxer breed I know doesn't dock, however there are Boxers born "bob-tailed"-ie naturally without a tail.

It has been illegal to dock any breed other certain Terriers & Gundogs & the breeders of these breeds has to prove that their dogs are or may be involved in shoots or pest control, since 31st March 2007 Under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act

There is now talk of docking being banned in Ireland
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Took the words out of my mouth,

As has already been stated, look on the KC or UKboxerdogs.

Another point you need to know, make sure whoever you go to has heart scored their dogs.... they should be 0 or 1
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Don't understand the list above as it says Cairn terriers may be docked but they are not a traditionally docked breed so this can't be right surely?
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Same with the Large Munsterlander, Small Munsterlander, I did not think they were traditionally docked breeds:?
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Munsters of both sizes used to be docked to the same length as a Long Coated Weimaraner just the last few vertebrae-non of these three breeds has been docked in the UK evrn when docking was legal for non working dogs

Cairns were many years ago docked short
  8. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    Docking was banned for most breeds in 2007. If people are saying their pups are docked, it has either been donrre illegally or the pups have come from Ireland where docking is allowed.

If they were docked in the UK, would the police would be interested?
  9. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes, I have read of some cases where the breeders have been prosecuted for illegal docking of puppies' tails. I think they get a large fine. It was Rottweillers in one of the cases I read about.
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    LHW et al very rarely had the last couple of verterbrae removed as have you tried FINDING the last couple at 3 days old!?

The FIRST port of call for breed enthusiasts should be the KC registered BREED clubs. Members of breed clubs must abide by their codes of ethics and conduct and are a better bet for finding a reputable breeder than the KC site!

Boxers are not docked, period in the UK.
  11. rune

rune

£20,000 if found guilty---or 6mths? I think.

rune
  12. pam

pam New Member

Name:
    PAM
    The only docked boxers around now are Bob tail many breeders in the UK have a bob tailed boxer in their kennel,more so now since the docking ban came in almost 4yrs
    Bob tails are to some breeders a treasure and will ask silly amounts of money for a puppy.bOB TAIL=MONEY SADLY as it is.
    Another point you need to know, make sure whoever you go to has heart scored their dogs.... they should be 0 or 1
    Call boxer puppy line or contact the KC for a list of boxer breeders who have either just registered a litter or accredited breeders,Also whilst enquiring regards heart test ask if they have any known dogs in the pedigrees that known to be kidney problem free.
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I have only met one bobtail and to be honest i prefer a tail...
  14. stanfan

stanfan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I love Stans tail, it has certain degrees of happiness...
    Slow lazy wag=tired and happy
    normal wag=i am happy
    fast wag=i am so so happy
    blurry wag=i am really excited..really really
    windmill mode=oh my god...i am so happy and excited i might just explode or take flight from my tail spinning so fast!!!
  15. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Some breeders bring their bitches here so the pups can be docked.Or dock them themselves and CLAIM they were done here..Not ALL Irish dogs are farmed,that's an unfair thing to say.
    It's bad enough here,having had so many puppy mills move here to add to our own store of b.....ds but there ARE good breeders here - even if they do tend to dock.Boxers look so much nicer with tails,I wish my Daisy still had hers.
  16. late74

late74 New Member

Name:
    late74
    Thanks to all, for your advice, you were right i was looking in the wrong places. We got a Boxer complete with full tail from champ dogs as suggested. Hes great we called him Max, hes 16 weeks old now and doing just fine. just have to sort some insurance out now as his first free months KC insurance is due to expire.
  17. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Good luck ..
    Post some photos ..
    What colour? Which breeder?..
  18. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Any puppy that has a docked tail here in the Uk must have a certificate from the vet who did the docking whether it was done here in the UK or in Eire
  19. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    There is a pup on many tears from a litter where all of its siblings died because the owner tried to dock them themsevles ..
    Did pups often die from bad dockings?
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    They did when breeders did it themselves, hence why they made it mandatory for it to be done by vets only.

It is possible for a pup to bleed to death from docking just as it is for a person to bleed to death in an operation.
  21. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Most breeders I know who have historically docked breeds used to band their puppies. The results were always far better than any vet could produce by cutting off the tail.

I'm not the greatest fan of docking, but having a good friend who works his dogs(& whose puppies all go to working homes)& seen 1st hand the injuries that other non docked working dogs of the same breed have sustained & can understand why he has his puppies docked. the same breed in a pet home would probably never have a problem with a full tail