100% Wolf X Dog Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Maybe the old saying about any dog being 3 meals away from a wolf is right? I was once told that a Spaniel was closer to a wolf than a GSD? Anyone care to comment? Or is it just the look of the animal that makes it wolf-like.
    I still don`t `get` why anyone who professes to admire wolves would want to domesticate them.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thank you for your reply, its appreciated.:)

I understand what you are saying about the genes etc.. but the Saarloos do vary incredibly dont they in type, wouldnt you expect there to be more consistency if they are all the same so to speak?

The temperament you speak of is just like some of the native Hounds, Azawahks (LOVELY!!) many Saluki's etc.. shy, wary, people on their terms, reluctant to be told what to do, difficult to control, difficult to predict, crafty, sly and very smart!! I still think this is just breed character rather than anything else, but I do appreciate your points, thanks again.
  4. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Not sure what you mean by this exactly, Genotype or Phenotype?

Yes I know Salukis etc quite different in charachter.
  5. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    We have only owned two racehorses, one over the sticks and one on the flat, however yes, I groomed. Apart from skipping out boxes at the racecourses I did not muck out back at the yard(s). I did on the stud though. But what on earth this conversation has to do with whether or not you can force an animal to 'take' I really don't know, perhaps you can enlighten me.

Also interesting how the NI & EBT owner and yourself are quick to turn a factual discussion into a slanging match about who has cleared muck. Hell, I clear dog muck nearly every morning of my life as do all responsible dog owners so I guess the NI, EBT owner and yourself are on exactly the same level as me :)
  6. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Shaun and Helen's didn't show traits of being shy on the AT show last week though did they WDO?
  7. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    I think that's because those traits are in every single dog, it just needs something to enhance them.
  8. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Didn't they? They were constantly looking to Shaun and Helen individually, never taking a break from seeking their attention. They weren't curled up on the floor asleep or looking round at the audience. That would seem to indicate they were fairly stressed.
  9. banji

banji New Member

Name:
    tamara

i was impressed by the way that the saarloos looked to shaun and helen for reasurrence,plain to see that they were stressed with the surroundings but that they trusted there calm owners.
  10. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    What I own doesn't mean I can't comment...
    she who owns, now your starting to sound like you think your a better class of dog owner...:mrgreen:
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I have read several things by experienced dog behaviourists over the last week, and all have stated one of the dogs was displaying severe fear and apprehension. The panting (could be the studio lights I thought?) the "up in your face" cant get close enough to you, way the dog was acting was uncomfortable viewing, not my words, but if you watch them again, I think you will agree with at least a couple of the points made.