100% Wolf X Dog Controversial

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    I have owned wolfdogs for three years (with permission from my local council) so I think I have a touch more experience than you, yes I'm still learning, but I'll still be learning when I'm in my 50's.

Seeing as you enjoy bringing Genova into this, she is one of the kindest, sweetest bitches I know, unfortunately for her life has not been as kind to her as she is. I have had no problems with her escaping, she's been to a couple of very small social gatherings and yes, we know she's timid but she has a heart of gold. Remember, with your ever growing experience (Can a 'know it all's' experience possibly grow?) bad dogs are never born bad and any problems with dogs are due to humans.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    Stats and facts please as the statistics I viewed on the USA showed attacks by Labs alot higher than wolfdogs. Plus the US are ridiculous in the percentage of wolf blood.

Personally I don't feel high percentage wolf dogs are pets at all and they should never be sold as such.
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    She sounds like a lovely girl, do you have any pics of her. Ref your other wolfdogs, what generation are they, what was used in the original crossing, and how would you say the differed in behaviour/temperament to the saarloos or czech. Hope you don't mind me asking, just curious.
  5. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Most so called wolfdogs in the USA seem to be what they call "low to no" content, according to those I have spoken to in the rescue world; in other words they can see no obvious wolf content or behaviour. There is a lot of misrepresentation and even animal control officers often can't tell between a husky and a wolf. Statistics are therefore very hard to verify as actually being wolfdog. Of the 300,000 wolfdogs estimated to exist there (a figure often quoted), those in the know recon that this is probably double the real number.

Glad to hear Genova is doing well.
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Nowhere near as high as pitbull types and GSDs.
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    In addition, wolfdogs in the States are frequently kept in completely different conditions than they are here in the UK. Out there, they have large "back yards", the dogs are frequently left on their own for long periods of time. As I know only too well, you CANNOT leave wolfdogs home alone, they have to be with you 24:7.

You cannot compare wolfdogs in the States with wolfdogs in the UK, there is no comparison.
  8. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

I'm very curious to know Borderdawn on what basis you say "none of your's look like Wolves". What experience do you have with wolves to make this statement?
  9. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Could i direct you to post 240 in this thread Gnasher as you may have missed it & want to respond. Thanks :002:
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Are you saying all dogs are wild animals ?? !!:shock:
  11. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Not now I am watching Shaun Ellis on TV !!
  12. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    In my opinion there should be no offspring from Timber x Czech as this mating shouldn't happen.

Very good question regarding offspring, we all know wolves produce smaller litters than dogs. So if you say 4 are born, perhaps SE would have a use in his new venture for the offspring, if not maybe certain experts or even wildlife parks across Europe may take them. I don't know and it is not a bridge I'll ever have to cross so I wouldn't really think about the situation thoroughly enough, but if it was me, I wouldn't make the cross unless I had guarenteed homes for the offspring.

I think the formation of character has alot to do with the environment that the wolfdog is brought up in and not totally how the dog is bred.

I don't know regarding the last question, I don't have the knowledge to say whether it is or it is not, however the likes of Ronnie do have the knowledge. I think there are alot less problems within the breed than alot of other 'popular breeds', google health problems in a labrador and you might be shocked, I know I was.
  13. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    And often chained up. Farm collies are reknowned for snapping and biting (in fact I've been bitten 3 times by collies, once severely) more often if they've spent a lifetime on a chain.
  14. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Mate, you've never spoken a truer word ! I'm in the middle of watching Shaun Ellis on the telly - it is just amazingly fabarooney !! Its an ad break at the moment, but if you've got a digital telly, tune in to Channel 5 - its called Mr & Mrs Wolf and I am just dying of jealousy. I would give my eye teeth to work at Combe martin, I wouldn't need paying!!
  15. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Strange how you can interrupt your viewing to say that but can't answer Liz' question...Nes has taught you well:002:
  16. Navajo

Navajo New Member

Name:
    Navajo
    There are pics on the Cry Wolf forum, is there a gallery here or can you post pics in this area of the forum?

I think it's well known that the Saarloos are more timid than pure Czechs, I don't have a pure Czech so I can't really comment but my half Czech is cheeky and playful and will be a naughty little school boy until the day he dies, he's also very affectionate but then so are the Saarloos x Inuits. I like my Saarloos x Inuits as they have a great family dog temperament ie I can take them anywhere and they're not timid, they're gentle with kids, non aggressive to other dogs (though WE often get growled at by terriers lol) and they get along well with my horses, pigs and chickens which is a big bonus! :grin:

I can't make an accurate assessment of the pure Saarloos until I own one from a puppy to be honest.
  17. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

I don't know what you are insinuating with your wink, but I have been popping out in the commercial breaks, of which there have been several.

The programme is over now so I can answer any questions you wants.

Who is Nes by the way?
  18. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Yup, that is, or rather I should say was, my beloved Hal. He was not a Utonagan, although I described him as such. Gorgeous isn't he. He was the love of my life.
  19. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well I think the question that Liz asked is still to be answered.. the one you said you would'nt answer as you were watching the muppets..Oh no sorry...Shaun Ellis was it..

Edited to add.... Looks like you answered it then
  20. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I have met several Czechs, delightful dogs, but have yet to meet a Saarloos. They look to be beautiful dogs, just like the CWD's.
  21. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Sorry : I had to switch computers, OH kicked me off his, and this one is old and very slow.

Why do you describe Shaun Ellis as a muppet? Have you ever met him?