Eclipse Viewing Online General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Toedtoes, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed

Eclipse Viewing Online

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes likes this.
    My acupuncturist is driving to Texas to see the eclipse. I have a friend in Virginia who’s traveling to see the eclipse as well, not sure where he’s going for it
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    We experienced a total eclipse about 20 years ago. The advice was to protect our retinas by viewing the reflection in a bucket of water. I think there are special glasses but ordinary sunglasses are not sufficient.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    A friend in the area said that Niagara Falls is expecting 1,000,000 visitors to see the eclipse.

I was watching a Nova episode on the eclipse and it looks like Mexico will have the best viewing opportunity with clear skies and the longest duration.

Yes, special glasses are necessary. You can buy them on Amazon, but be sure to check an authority site (like NASA) because there are counterfeits.

Also, don't point your camera (or phone camera) at it - you need a special filter for it too. You can also get those on Amazon. The show I was watching put a pair of solar eclipse glasses behind the viewfinder of a camera and the light burned through the glasses. So be VERY careful.

They do say that if you are in the path of this total eclipse, you can look at it directly while it is in the full eclipse phase - at that point enough of the sun is blocked to be safe. But look away every few seconds. And be sure to have the glasses on as it moves away the sun.

For those of us in the partial eclipse path, it is not safe to look at it without glasses at any point. And for many eclipses, the moon is further away from us so it doesn't cover the sun completely - and those are not safe to look at directly.

I also heard that the sun's corona is very active this time. Scientists are hoping to get a lot of data about the corona and sun flares, etc, this year.