Working GSD pedigree Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Moobli, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty

Working GSD pedigree

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    You will find lots of pictures of Jackies dog on the GSDL sites.

I know Jackie's dog, it is very nice.

I cannot bring up the pedigree as it keeps konking out on me.
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Jackie?? Isn't Haus Baily Fynn owned by Janet Ashford??

I will have a look on the GSDL sites, thanks.
  5. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

Name:
    Blitzen
    I thought it was Jackie Bailey - could be wrong though?
  6. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

Name:
    Blitzen
    Nice open pedigree, with a mix of different lines in there an some nice dogs, so I think you will need to look at the individual pups to try to see what kind of dog they will mature into, though a nice pup might not fulfil its promise, but they we are into nature vs nurture there as well.

Try also to get a feel for what characteristics the parents and grandparents are/were, as that will tell you what characteristics the puppies could potentially have when mature.
  7. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

Name:
    Blitzen
    BTW it might help to look at the utube clips of Michael Ellis discussing what genetic traits the different sports (Sch, KNPV, French Ring etc) select for, and therefore, the differences the dogs specifically bred for these sports might show. Is see there is some KNPV in that pedigree ;)
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for the advice Blitzen. I am going to go along to the breeder and meet the mother as well as some half siblings. I have already met one half sibling and she is lovely, and sounds just like the sort of dog I am after.

Here she is :049: She is calm, biddable, friendly with a great nature around children and other dogs/animals but has enough drive to work her.

[​IMG]

Far right

[​IMG]
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
  10. Blitzen

Blitzen New Member

Name:
    Blitzen
    I've met Isha, she is a lovely dog.
  11. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout
    Isha is lovely, although I don't know if her owner would agree with the calm description when it comes to tracking. :lol: We were having the 'how to control our dogs when getting to the pole' discussion on Sunday...lol
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Haha was she getting a wee bit excited :lol:
  13. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    dont know the particular dogs but check for elbows
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Will do Pam.
  15. Kizzy24

Kizzy24 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    Hi
    I know you wanted my views on this pedigree. But I don't like to comment on dog's I haven't seen plus I think the database needs updating with titles etc as I'm sure dam and sire have SCH I? It really depends on what you want out the pup and your plans for it and also your pick of the litter...is it high?

There's no common ancestory in this mating and so the litter is likely to produce some good dogs and some very average unless both dogs are extreme themselves and have no flaws.

We breed for a very serious working dog and maybe a little over the top for some people. But everyone is different and has different goals in what they want to achieve.
    When we bred Indi we specifically got a male imported the day before she needed to be bred because we couldn't find a dog good enough in this country that held the line breed we wanted. But as I say, we were aiming to produce a certain type of dog.

What are you hoping to get from the pup?
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for your reply.

Basically I don't want an extreme or extremely high drive dog. My dogs are my companions first and foremost. I live on a hill farm on a 14,000 acre private grouse moor, so I do lots of walking with my dogs and like them as a deterrent (as our property is remote). I am at home all day, and the dogs are involved in most of what I do. I train them in obedience - but what I think of as real life, rather than for competition. I have also trained in agility and tracking/scent work - and would like to do this with any new pup, esp tracking which I love.

I would like to be able to do Schutzhund, but not sure how viable this will be because I live a couple of hours from the nearest club and have a lot of commitments at home - children, other dogs and animals. We will see. There is a working trial club half an hour drive from me, that train during the week rather than a weekend, which could make that training more appealing/achievable for me.

Foremost though I want an active pet dog with an excellent temperament, who will enjoy loads of exercise, obedience/agility training and tracking.
  17. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I was looking at a prospective pup from what will no doubt be a very high drive litter, but unless there was a less drivey pup, I think they would probably be too OTT for my circumstances unfortunately.
  18. Kizzy24

Kizzy24 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
    You should maybe look at litters that are from very stable working lines with medium-high drives and pick the best pup out the litter (confident and driven).
    It is very much how you raise them though.....a male from my Jerry Lee is with a lady who does competitive obedience he was very stable as a pup, quite chilled but very driven when a rag or toy was presented. He sleeps in her bed an is very relaxed now at 9mths old but if I had raised him....he would of been off his rocker because of how we build drive early on.
    I think as long as the parents are stable and switch off easily from work mode you will be fine with any pup in the litter. It's the dogs that are "nerve driven" that seem to never settle...always up every time you change position, race around like loonies all the time etc that you want to avoid.
    Working trials sounds better for you with location in mind and I think a pup out of a good litter will do either or both if you wished :)
  19. Kizzy24

Kizzy24 New Member

Name:
    Michelle
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks for your advice.

I have been told a few times now that the more you build a working GSDs drives by working them the higher they get, but if you don't work them and just exercise them you can keep them quite mellow.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty