What noises/things make your dog bark? Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Pork1epe1, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara

What noises/things make your dog bark?

This morning when I let Georgina out, instead of going for a wee like she normally does, she rushed to the front gate and began to bark and growl. When I went to see what the noise was all about I found her standing in front of the dustbin which had been blown over in the strong wind we had last night!

Chloe who wasn't a "barky" dog used to bark at pieces of paper or plastic blowing about in the wind and when we drove through a town she'd bark at any dogs who were walking along the pavement as if she was telling them they'd no right to be there.

Is there anything in particular that that your dog barks at?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. buglysprince

buglysprince New Member

Name:
    Lesley
    Planes Persia goes bananas when an aeroplane dares to fly in her sky :)
    other than that mine don't bark alot
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Anyone at the front door, me included.
    Teddy barks at animals on tv.
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Every thing at the moment, it's becoming an issue :roll:
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Phoebe barks at everything anywhere for any reason. Like me she is a chatter box. Trying to do something about as its driving me nuts
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Heiko barks at the least little things, even lorry reversing beeps ,birds in the garden the list goes on,drives me nuts sometimes,whereas Kyra only barks if someone at door .
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    K9 will bark at TV commercials that as animals in, lorries & motorbikes plus pushbikes.
    Skye as a strange howl/bark when a bird lands in garden
    Hooligans bark at anything that moves
    When anyone knocks on the door all 6 will go hide behind sofa leaving me to defend myself & answer the door :confused:
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    Rocky barked at noises, door being knocked, the wind, even his own farts sometimes :lol:
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Pereg barks when someone walks down the path or, if the door is closed, when someone knocks. I think she does it to warn me as I being hard of hearing I do not hear things outside if I am not in the salon.

She barks when she hears the binmen down the road "the binmen are coming, the binmen are coming" then when they turn up she rushes out barking but rushes back and hides behind me until they have emptied the bin, then rushes out after whichever guy has taken the bag of rubbish out of it - they all think it is hysterical! Actually so do I and as I have no close neighbours nobody hears or complains.

She barks at certain men [especially him-next-door-the-other side who she hates because he yells at her and throws stones], she barks at little kids who screech when they see her although she totally ignores those who just walk past.

She barks at the boys who delight in annoying her and me by going backwards and forwards on bikes, skateboards, scooters etc [I would do more than just bark if I could get my hands on the boogers].

And she "sings" when she hears the icecream van chimes! :005: although her "singing" is more like the sound of the Color Red Alert sirens! :043::043::043:
  11. butterfly1979

butterfly1979 New Member

Name:
    sheila
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Pork1epe1!

I do think it's very frequently dogs often bark at "strange things" and we don't understand it at all. That's like my dog one day a few time ago. I stayed in at night when I heard Choc was barking loudly so that I looked through the window and I saw Choc was barking at big stick on the ground. I didn't understand him so I go out and tried to calm him down.
    I think he seemed to feel threatened with some noises caused by the wind and he was nervious. I believe you must play it down, It's no really important :)
  12. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Chloe barks at everything even me when I am talking to myself because she thinks I am talking to a person who sneaked in unseen :D

It isn't a problem, living alone it is nice to have a watch dog.
    When she barks I just call her to me in a bright voice saying 'Come and tell me about it Chloe' and she runs to me 'grumbling' and gets praise for doing her job.
  13. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    Leo barks at almost anything that happens outside my bedroom window or at least growls at it. Especially if my window is open. And if dogs approach him while he is on a leash. He hates that. Otherwise he is not a barker.
    Bailie is still having issues with the barking so she will bark when people knock and come in the door as well as if she gets exited about play.
    Desty barks mostly just if I am carrying another dog. For some reason she just doesn´t like that. She doesn´t like being carried either. Otherwise she is not a barker.
    Thankfully none of them bark if other dogs are barking in the neigbourhood as there is almost always one dog or another barking around here.
  14. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Squirrels, cats or birds on the fence or in the garden
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Anyone at our door, next door's door, the next door dogs barking, the scary postman (he's lovely), squirrels, and cats. At night - there might be cats, rats, ghosts or monsters. Fortunately there are six dogs in 4 semi det houses - but I still don't like them doing it.
  16. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    With my Missy it's more the question of what doesn't make her bark? :044:
  17. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    other animals, kids on bicycles.