What is a "squareback" German Shepherd? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by TabithaJ, Jan 13, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

What is a "squareback" German Shepherd?

I keep seeing an advert for 'squareback' GSDs in the dog magazine I get monthly. Am just interested :)

Many thanks in advance for any info. I would like one day - way off in the future - to adopt a GSD from one of the rescues, so am gathering info slowly but surely...:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lisa01uk87

lisa01uk87 New Member

Name:
    lisa
    i think the square back gsd is just another name for the straight backs in other words, not a noticable slope, i think my ty is a "straight/square" back gsd
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There is only one breed standard for the GSD.

Individuals have then gone off to breed what THEY prefer.
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The GSD should not have a level topline in stance, there should a a slope from the withers to the croup.

If a GSD has a level topline in stance then it will "fall on the forehand"that is the front will be lower than the hind quarters & the dog will expend more energy in movement-ie it will tire more easily.

Most"squareback"GSDs are overly long in the body & don't have long enough legs for their body length. they look very unbalanced & untypical of the correctly proportioned GSD
  6. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Thanks guys :)

SMOKEYBEAR - I appreciate that, am just not sure what the standard is, I will look it up online, then maybe I'll understand more about what a 'squareback' is, are you saying that itself is the standard or that the squareback is the deviation...?
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The term "squareback" does not appear in any Breed Standard of the GSD ;)
  8. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Squareback is a deviation from the breed standard with requires

" The topline runs without any visible break from the set on of the neck, over the well defined withers, falling away slightly in a straight line to the gently sloping croup. The back is firm, strong and well muscled. Loin broad, strong, well muscled. Weak, soft and roach backs undesirable and should be heavily penalised. Croup slightly sloping and without any break in the topline, merges imperceptibly with the set on of the tail. Short, steep or flat croups highly undesirable."
  9. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Cheers SMOKEYBEAR, I get it :)
  10. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    Has the breed standard been redefined/rewritten recently to include that or has it always been such ? (additionally, how does that compare to the ideals of Von Stephanitz ?)
  11. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    Is this what has become known as Alsation? (I read the term "Alsationist judge" somewhere on Dogsey, I think written by you).
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Fortunately, the term Alsation is to be dropped by the KC and most of the clubs (don't suppose that will stop people asking/telling me what my dog is, ie GSD or Alsation);)

At last we can be like the rest of the world and have one name only for the breed, the correct one!
  13. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    I think it was dropped sometime back (though I could be wrong), but I read something recently about an "Alsationist" judge - I think it's to do with the "ideal" shape of the dog.
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    No it has only been confirmed by the KC in the last couple of months that the word "Alsation" will disappear from the Breed Standard etc.
  15. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`ve heard the term alsationist used - usually in a derogatory way.
    There appear to be British `types` which are abhorred by owners/breeders of German `types. I believe I`ve also heard mention of Eastern European and also American `types.
    A bit daft, really.
    Then of course there are long-coats. :shock:
    and white ones :shock: :shock:

As someone who doesn`t give a rat`s backside for `type`, I try to stay out of it so I`ll go away now. :002:
  16. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The only people who call their dogs Alsatians & them "Alsatianists"are those who prefer & breed/own the type of GSD that was the normal for English dogs in the 1940s & 1950s-Long, low & windy !!
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    :)

Roflmao
  18. kobi

kobi New Member

Name:
    Dave
    I am no breed expert but allow me my ten pence worth.
    The hind quarters should be lower than the shoulders, so a slope.
    But has a lot of criticism and some problems not come from breeding to get a lower and lower hind quarter, which is in itself going away from the standard.
    Is the squareback not just a move or a description of a more upright dog or is it a very level backed dog
  19. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Any 'square' back pics for us pls?
  20. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    Not the best pic from the best angle, but I'd say Bear is flat backed (also low and long):

[​IMG]

in comparison to Ella at least:

[​IMG]

Ella as a pup, being manipulated for showing (before she came to us - I'm not a fan of using the foot to force the hock into position):

[​IMG]
  21. gsdgirl:-)

gsdgirl:-) New Member

Name:
    KRISTIE
    Lovely Pics Michael!:001:

I cant get involved as i have a "straight backed", long haired white german shepherd:shock:

Who is the best "pet" dog in the world!

:lol:
    I cant take the best pic of him standing coz if i look at him he sits waiting for the next instruction!
    Will try later!