What determines price of a pure breed puppy? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by BeddieSlo, Jan 24, 2017.

1. BeddieSlo

BeddieSlo New Member

Name:
    BeddieSlo

What determines price of a pure breed puppy?

Its been almost 17 years since I bought a dog! And a lot has changed since. My Chiuahua who is almost 17 is still with me. So now I was on the market to buy a new puppy. What surprises me is price. Or actually differences in price. I have decided to buy a Bedlington terrier.But I think breed is irrelavante. I know I want KC registered and Copper Toxicosis & TRD Hereditary clear. Prices came from 500 to 800 which met my requirements.

How is the 800 dog better? I suppose what I am asking when can a breeder ask more money for the puppy? thx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Here's the truth in one sentence: The initial purchase price of a dog is a drop in the bucket compared to the other expenses of dog ownership. No, buying from a quality breeder doesn't guarantee your dog will be healthy and well-adjusted, but having four or five generations of checkable health and behavioral clearances has to increase your chances of having a healthy, happy dog. There is often a belief that breeders are rolling in money and breed dogs solely for profit. Show and hobby breeders usually charge the same amount for a puppy that they pay for a stud fee. If you are calculating that breeders make lots of money with big litters, think again. Better breeders typically have health tests performed on their dogs prior to breeding such as hip and elbow x-rays and other tests recommended for their particular breed. There are also tests involved for the male and female dog just prior to breeding to make sure they do not carry any sexually transmitted diseases; and often the breeder has progesterone tests and other lab work done on the female dog to be able to pinpoint the best time for breeding. A breeder can easily spend several thousand dollars for one breeding. Prices for puppies from a show or hobby breeder can range anywhere from about $500 to around $3000, depending on the breed. Before you buy any puppy you should talk to some good breeders who have the breed that interests you. Adoption is often a wonderful option. Still, you don’t need an exorbitantly priced purebred to experience the unconditional love of a dog: the richness is in the relational bond, no matter the cost! The price of a purebred puppy depends on if you are buying a "show or working quality" puppy, or a "companion only" puppy.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Just to pick up on that point, regardless of show /working or pet pup in the litter, a reputable breeder charges the same, I would stay away from a breeder who charges different prices for different dog ( or sex) , as they have ALL cost the breeder the same to rear!!

As for what determines the going rate it is based on what others in a breed charge, but generally most pure bred dogs , apart from those who are classed as rare or have very small litters, will in the UK be around £800 , such as Labs, goldies, cocker spaniels and so on, obviously there is a margin on either side of that depending on the breeder, but I would have thought for a bedlington the 800 would be nearer the mark.
  5. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Well, well.

Some breeders do list their pricing on their website, and so of course that answers the questions right away. During the last few weeks of pregnancy and through peak lactation when the puppies are 3-4 weeks old, bitches eat as much as four times their normal amount of food. Microchips are registered to us as the purchasers; puppy owners can enroll in a recovery database at their option. Each puppy receives a general wellness exam before going to their new homes. Typically whelping and raising a litter involves some unpaid time off work, which can add up quickly. There are surely some other things I've forgotten in this long list!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Are you in the UK Boerboel?
    In the UK, microchipping may only be carried our by an DEFRA authorised implanter, and since 01.04.2016, all dogs must be recorded on a microchip database with their owner's up to date details. This is not an option, it is a legal requirement.
  7. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    I'm in the US.

Here, breeders may implant microchips, there are several brands, but they are optional. It's not a legal requirement. I don't know anything about the UK and micro-chipping laws. I'm only going by what I know where I live.

So you've decided to purchase a dog. Is there a breed you have had your eye on, or are you confused about how to select a dog? Too frequently, common sense goes out the window when it comes to buying a puppy. The AKC's Complete Dog Book can help you begin your research with its pictures and descriptions of each breed recognized by the AKC. While investigating, always be honest with yourself. Buy your puppy from a responsible and well-respected breeder. This is not the time to hunt for a bargain. The purchase price of your puppy is not the only cost you have to consider. Being a responsible owner means considering your dog's lifelong health care needs, whether for preventive care or for unexpected accidents, injuries and illnesses that could happen at any time, however well you look after your dog. As a special registration benefit, the AKC has arranged for 30 days of pet insurance coverage with AKC Pet Insurance* for newly registered dogs and at no additional cost to you. All dogs must be cared for daily. All dog owners must be aware of their responsibilities to their neighbors, both those who live in the area immediately around their residence and their neighbors in the broader sense of the community as a whole. One way to make your dog a good neighbor is through obedience training. The American Kennel Club is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its Registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function.

When you bring that soft, sweet-smelling little ball of a puppy into your home you know right away that she is depending on you for, well, everything.Going to the vet repeatedly over several months for vaccinations, and then for boosters or titers throughout your dog’s life, may seem like an inconvenience, but the diseases that vaccinations will shield our pets from are dangerous, potentially deadly, and, thankfully, largely preventable. We read about so many different vaccinations, for so many different illnesses, that it can sometimes be confusing to know which vaccinations puppies need and which ones are important but optional.

Bordetella Bronchiseptica: This highly communicable bacterium causes severe fits of coughing, whooping, vomiting, and, in rare cases, seizures and death.

Canine Distemper: A virus that attacks the respiratory, gastrointestinal (GI), and nervous systems of dogs, raccoons, skunks, and other animals, distemper causes discharges from the eyes and nose, fever, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, twitching, paralysis, and, often, death.

Canine Hepatitis: A disease of the liver caused by a virus that is unrelated to the human form of hepatitis.

Canine Parainfluenza: One of several viruses that can contribute to kennel cough (see above).

Corona Virus: This is a nasty virus that usually affects dogs’ gastrointestinal systems, though it can also cause respiratory infections.

Heartworm: When your puppy is around 12 to 16 weeks, talk to your vet about starting her on a heartworm preventative.

Kennel Cough: Also known as infectious tracheobronchitis, kennel cough results from inflammation of the upper airways.

Leptospirosis: Unlike most diseases on this list, leptospirosis is caused by bacteria, and sometimes shows no symptoms at all.

Lyme Disease: Unlike the famous “bull’s-eye” rash that people exposed to Lyme disease often spot, no such telltale symptom occurs in dogs.

Parvovirus: Parvo attacks the gastrointestinal system and creates loss of appetite, vomiting, fever, and often severe, bloody diarrhea.

Rabies: The rabies virus invades the central nervous system, causing headache, anxiety, hallucinations, excessive drooling, fear of water, paralysis, and death.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I thought you might be from the downloads you have posted.
    Thank goodness we don't have rabies here - at least, not yet.