Thoughts on Husky cross Collie x General Chat

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Mouse, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary

Thoughts on Husky cross Collie x

I have been offered a pup from an unborn litter. A person I know has a litter coming soon. Mum is a Husky x collie, Dad is a collie x proper heinz 57.
    It was an unfortunate mating - they had been getting up at 5am to walk the female while she was in season to be out of the way of other dogs. A local male dog scaled their 6ft fence & 'got' her in the back garden.
    How would you forsee these pups being? Do you think this would be a bad idea owning a chi x. I am really quite regimented with training and not a push over (think its seeing how awful poorly trained dogs can turn out at the vets I worked at).
    Any insight would be appreciated
    thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I would not necessarily want a husky with a Chi .... as they can have high prey drive and are very bouncy and might be clumsy - would depend on the individual.

The mix could be anything but I would go with worst case scenario ... highly intelligent, super fast, master escapologist with high prey drive and unsuitable to be allowed off lead- if you feel you could cope with worst possible scenario - reality will probably be better :)
  4. terrysibe

terrysibe New Member

Name:
    Terry
    Sorry why didn't they get the bitch jabbed to stop the litter, I wonder how many of them will end up in rescue,
    I would walk away and not get one, if the find it hard to shift the pups they might just get the girl speyed and it can never happen a again,
    Terry
  5. **Leanne**

**Leanne** New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I have a collie x husky, he's a good lad took well to training and isn't clumsy. The only thing I found with him is that he likes to pull on lead EVERYWHERE!!! But after much training I have conquered this! It depends if your willing to put the time in. He's a very good natured puppy lad, full of energy (all collies are) but very rewarding and loving. And He is not a problem off lead, recall is fab and have never escaped......maybe I've just been lucky :)
  6. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Perfect answer. Nothing to add, I'm afraid. Good luck with your decison.
    [​IMG]
  7. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    There is a Mal X Colie that comes to club, hes gorg, very clever , but more laid back than a collie & abit steadier, but very trainable, gorg looking, like a bigger,longer coated, less spitzy finnish lauphund
  8. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    There is a collie husky cross where we walk locally that is lovely... BUT... He is an escapologist, needs to be walked three times a day or her destroys their house--- I can vouch for this Kismet also has a 'destructo puppy button' if not walked for any reason.--- He has the intelligence of the collie, but the bull headed independant stubborness of the husky. He is off lead, but his recall is... reliable if a bit 'when he's good and ready' and not if he's busy or chasing something.

The biggest reservation I would have though is with the Chi x...

My brother has a chi and he and Kismet have known each other since she was a tiny puppy. Foxy the little chi, rules her with an iron paw... We took Kismet over to see him today but Foxy decided, she wasn't allowed in his kitchen. There was food being cooked and he was feeling territorial. He growled and pushed her then launched and attacked. Kismet retaliated and it was only my fast reaction grabbing her as soon as he went for her that saved his life! Kismet was launching into one of her 'put him in his place' attacks, same as she does on my big dogs... Believe me foxy would not have survived...

Kismet and Foxy will not be meeting again in the house... Theirs will be an on the field only relationship from now on.
  9. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    I personally would not let a Husky near my Chis. That's no offence to Huskys but Chis have big attitudes and Huskys have big teeth, if you get my meaning. The above posts have confirmed my fear of these two breeds together. I hope you decide not to do it. I would be worried for your Chi x.:001:
  10. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Thanks for the replies. Don't get me started on un-planned / unwanted litters - if I start I just won't stop! That aside, my gut feeling is that its probably not a good idea.
    My Chi x (Mouse) goes out every day & runs with large dogs on the park & is confident around them so her reaction to a bigger dog in the house doesnt worry me. Its the other factors that have been mentioned here.
    I have the time to train a new dog - and these that have been offered sound ideal for 'me' but not Mouse. Of course thats the most important factor. All in all too risky.
    If anyone has any ideas of dogs that may suit my situation let me know!
  11. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    In fact, the "big attitude" of the Chi, would make the situation less, rather than more problematic. We have found with cats and huskies that cats which stand up for themselves tend to stand a much better chance of co-existing with sibes than those which run away (not that we would ever recommend keeping cats and sibes together). Sibes also tend to recognise the canine nature of small dogs and don't include them as "prey." The real problem would not be aggression but the size difference during play. Sibe play can be very enthusiastic and a really small dog might get trodden on or "bum-swiped" and damaged.
    Our Shiba doesn't take any nonsense from our sibes - if anything, she bullies them!

Mick
  12. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a

I have spoken to several Chi Owners/Breeders and the general conclusion by all is that Chis and Huskies are not good breeds to put together. There's the prey drive of the Husky to consider and, from what I hear (have absolutely no opinion on Huskys myself as I have never come across one, even on walks with the dogs) Huskies can be rather clumsy. So accidental damage to the Chi is something to consider. As for Huskies recognising the canine nature of Chis, like I say, I have no experience of my dogs with Huskies but there is certainly something in the JRT breeding that drives JRT's wild at the mere sight of my lot. This is the only breed (apart from one Chow) that has shown aggression to my Chis. Obviously something in the JRT breeding that triggers aggression when they see a Chi. It has happened too many times with the breed for it to be coincidence. I have had owners say that they have never seen such dog aggression by their JRTs before:shock:

Disclaimer:lol: I am not labelling JRTs as aggressive dogs. I am just saying what I have found to be true, JRTs on the whole, have a problem with Chis (well, mine anyway).
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  13. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Funnily enough, the JRT's that I come across regularly on walks don't seem to like Huskies either.

Mick
  14. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................maybe it's not just Chis they don't like then:?
  15. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    It was Foxy pushing his weight and standing up to my dominant madam that caused the problem... She is not one to back down from a scrap... Even a Jack russell I might have let them get on with it. She wouldn't have intended to hurt the smaller dog, just put it in it's place.. But the Chi... just so tiny, so delicate. Didn't think it was worth the risk.

Unfortunately I'm not sire there is a perfect larger dog to have with a Chi. There will always be a risk of harm to the little chi... Another toy breed would probably be your best bet for a companion.

If they didn't have such a marred breeding history and cruel practices in their development I would suggest a Klee Kai... For that tea cup husky look :)

I have a HUGE soft spot for the min pin as well. Theres a little dog with a big attitude! :)
  16. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Never heard of one of those - will go take a look. More than likely I'll probably get a smallish rescue dog that gets along with Mouse...
  17. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
  18. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    WOW - they're something else.
    So what has happened with the breeding of the Klee Kai?
  19. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    read the history:)

I quote:

"Unbeknownst to me, my brother-in-law and his wife in Fairbanks, Alaska had an accidental mating between a small dog and an Alaskan Husky, who were the ancestors of the dog I now had possession of. They too knew they had a good thing started. However, with all due respect, they had much softer hearts than I, and their breeding program suffered for it. I, by then, had by trial and error successfully bred a few more 'curiousities'. Then in the early 1980's my brother-in-law chose to stop breeding his little dogs and sold them to me with advice his family would not allow him to follow. His words had been my silent belief all along, but now I followed them openly and religiously. He said, "Breed the best, and cull the rest." With my now larger gene pool I began to see results of this hard core approach quickly and this served as encouragement to be even stricter with my breeding program."
  20. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    To be fair I think we all know this 'bred the best and cull the rest' policy is the way that all toy breeds must have originally been produced, but in a breed that has it's origins in the late 1970's early 1980's.. It just seems so barbaric... Surely 'breed the best, neuter and sell the rest' would be a more humane policy?
  21. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Jeez. Does this sort of practice still go on then? I mean behind closed doors....I suppose there is no way of telling. I thought I was wise to the animal world. I know it goes on with 'small furries' but not dogs.
    They are lovely - another to my wish list. And that Min Pin - what a proud looking stance.