The Kennel Club Response General Chat

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Sal, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally

The Kennel Club Response

The Kennel Club Response To The Merseyside Police Dangerous Dog Amnesty Verdict
    01-Mar-07

‘Excellent News! Now Let’s Open Up The Register Nationally To Responsible Dog Owners!’

The Kennel Club was present at Merseyside Magistrates Court over the last two days to hear the evidence presented by Merseyside Police regarding the cases of alleged Pit Bull Terrier ‘type’ dogs seized as part of the Police ‘amnesty’, which the Kennel Club has referred to as a dog cull.

The amnesty did nothing to address the primary issues of irresponsible dog ownership and ‘dealing with the deed, not the breed’ as it only affected responsible owners and their much loved pet dogs, who have been persecuted simply for how they look.

Having sat through one and a half days of prosecution evidence and accusation, that was expertly defended by Barrister Pam Rose, who had been briefed by the Kennel Club and was acting on behalf of the owners, the presiding District Judge concluded that she was aware that an uncontrolled Pit Bull can cause harm, but was satisfied that the owners of these dogs could not be categorised and were all responsible. She added that the Index of Exempted Dogs will now be opened so that these dogs can be registered, provided that the requirements of registration are met, such as neutering, microchipping, muzzling and the dogs kept on a lead in public.

Said Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, “This is an excellent result for the dogs and we feel fully vindicated, as, ever since Merseyside Constabulary announced their proposals, we have been calling for the Index to be opened. We will now be lobbying the Government to open up the register and will continue our work on the flawed Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 to make owners more liable for the actions of their dogs.”

Caroline concluded, “So far the combined efforts of the Kennel Club, Deed Not Breed, Fury Defence Fund and many other concerned dog lovers has resulted in a fantastic outcome, but we must not be complacent, as the battle is not over”.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Well I have to say that's the first time I'm aware that the KC have actually done something on behalf of dog owners lol! Long may it continue, maybe next they'll open up membership to everyone so we can all have a say how things are run :mrgreen: :smt002
    Becky
  4. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Thats true and good what the kennel club have put out and im pleased that they have!
  5. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    A wonderful outcome. i still feel sad though that these dogs will have to be muzzled and kept on lead.I appreciate it was a better outcome than being PTS however and that everyone concerned has worked very hard to achieve this.
  6. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara

I agree :grin:
  7. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    its very much ashame they have to be muzzled... but thank god their owners get to have their dogs back!
  8. griff

griff New Member

totally agree:) it is very sad but at least they are alive:grin: