The film snowdogs (husky) General Chat

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by x-clo-x, Apr 5, 2011.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

The film snowdogs (husky)

i just watched the film this morning :grin: one of my favourites :lol:

and it occured to me this morning that normally disney films involving dogs paint a perfect picture of them like 101 dalmatians. but i think snow dogs would put a number of people owning a husky.

it shows how hard they can be to train (admittedly maybe the man isnt the best dog owner in the world :lol: ) and also shows how destructive they can be (after they eat the whole of his suitcase, chew up all his clothes, eat his toothpaste etc :lol: )

shows how much exercise they need, with them running in harness all the time and one man even says "these are special dogs, they need to run, they cant be kept in a condo as your pets"

think its pretty good as far as a disney film involving dogs go.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ..... love the book the film is based on...defo doesn't glorify huskys lol
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ooh i didnt know there was a book!! do you know what its called?

no the film doesnt glorify them either, think its pretty good for a disney film, seeing as dumbo even made me want an elephant :blush: :lol: hasnt put me off having a northern breed though, just remind me not to leave my toothpaste lying about :lol:
  5. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    The film wasn't actually based on the book, but the book was cited as the "inspiration" for the film. Both book and film are about sled dogs, but that is where the similarity ends. The film story is pure Disney, whereas the book is an autobiographical chronicle of a rookie's attempt to run the Iditarod in 1983.
    The book is Gary Paulsen's "Winterdance."

Unfortunately, too many people only see the pretty faces of the dogs and skate over the negatives. If I had £1 for every child who has looked at our dogs and said, "Ooh Snowdogs - I want a Snowdog!" I would be a rich man!!!

Mick (definitely not a rich man!)
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yeah i suppose so, i wanted one when i was a kid, but i still want one now, and thats with everything else ive learnt, i just dont know if im the right sort of person to own one, so we shall see what happens, i wont get one and give up on one halfway through, so ive got to be 110% sure that i could make it work.
  7. KevBaz

KevBaz New Member

Name:
    KevBaz
    7 below is also worth a watch :)
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    do you mean 8 :lol: ive seen it numerous times, it still makes me cry now, i love it though, such a great film :grin:
  9. KevBaz

KevBaz New Member

Name:
    KevBaz
    thats the one! haha

but yeah very sad at times. do they use a mix of mals and sibes?
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    2 are mals and 6 are sibes :grin:
  11. cornishmals

cornishmals New Member

Name:
    Jude
    Makes me sick how disney sugar coats everything,and Jo Public rarely hears of the back ground to filming.
    In the film SNOW BUDDIES also feauring GR pups and Sibe pups,20 under age puppeis were imported from New York.A second group of 8 week old puppies were imported a week later.None were innoculated against Parvo,distemper etc.The inevitable happened wereby many caught Parvo.They also had Giardia and coccidia a parasitic infection.5 puppies died in total and the American Humane association stopped filming for 4 weeks.
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ooh how horrible!!! i havent seen that film, but gather there is quite a few "buddy" films?
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I don't think it would put 'idiots' off.
  14. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    probably not, it made me realise how destructive they could be though.
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I know the film snow dogs, thats where Diesel got his name from, no-ones ever made the connection though...probally because of all the types of dogs you can get, Diesel is the furthest from a husky, but what can you say, I liked the name.
  16. Evie

Evie New Member

Name:
    Evie
    If you are seriously considering a husky, but unsure if your home/lifestyle fits the bill; perhaps talk to a reputable breed specific rescue and find out what they look for when home checking potential owners.

Who knows, you may even come across the dog for you.
  17. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    On most animal movies done now a-days there is a disclaimer about adopting a rescue and giving a pet a home for life, and that the dogs aren't always what they seem to be on a movie... I know not everyone will read it or pay attention to it, but it makes me happy to see it.

8-below is one of my all time favorites!