Solid Liver Springer Spaniel?!?!?! Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Luke, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

Solid Liver Springer Spaniel?!?!?!

Howdy All...
    Thought i would put this to you! Earlier on out on walkies we ran into a lovely "spaniel type" *as i would have thought it*..and Ralph was playing with this pup and getting on great..Florrie was a bit scared lol and the old girl was too busy rustling i the river banks..ANYWAY..i was chatting to the owner who said their dog was, and i quote, "A proper pedigree English Springer Spaniel-paper and ever'fink":shock: And i said it was the funniest looking springer i had ever seen as it was solid liver and seemed to me more of a working type cocker maybe but these folk we're addament that this dog was a KC registered English Springer..and i said how, to my knowledge, springers only came in liver and white and black and white, and sometimes (as in Ralphs case!) the colour markings are predominant over the white but i had never known a solid coloured springer..so i ask you, can you get solid coloured springers? and if so would they be KC registered?:?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Could be a Field Spaniel, they look a lot like Springers but are solid in colour? :grin:
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

Ah it could be, but these people were addament that it was a KC registered English Springer spaniel:shock:
  5. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Well you know what some people are like! :lol:

It states in the breed standard that they have to have white in them, so I guess they would be KC regd but just couldn't be shown?
  6. Luke

Luke New Member

Oh that could be it...but *i know im being picky* he seemed to have the wrong headshape for either show type or working type which is where i got most muddled, and the legs were quite short and thick:?
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    This is a Field Spaniel
    [​IMG]

Anything like that? :?
  8. Luke

Luke New Member

Hmmmn the right colour and tail sorta similar but it had a different head....as i said i woulda presumed it a spaniel "type" at first glance....hmmmn i wish i had, had my cam now!
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Me too! :lol:

Could've been a Cocker, owners probably just got mixed up! ;-)
  10. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
    The BOYKIN Spaniel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Luke

Luke New Member

Now that is moreso the type of spaniel this dog was!
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    The only ones I can find are in the US though?

Unless they've imported it, but then why would they say it's a Springer?

Very strange! :?
  13. Wheaten mad

Wheaten mad New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I should think it was an working ESS as they tend to have much more white than show type ESS ;-) Maybe they have the breed wrong, or it is a bt of a cross, or the dogs parent were both very dark and the pups ended up solid? :?
  14. Luke

Luke New Member

Hmmn it looked similar to the one n Bodhi's post, i know a bit about springers and this looked like none i had seen...neither working nor show type..and was solid in colour, most very curious
  15. Wheaten mad

Wheaten mad New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hmm thats odd then :? camera next time luke! :D
  16. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    My pal breeds field spaniels, they look very like what you are describing Luke...
  17. patterlad

patterlad New Member

Name:
    Steve Rogers
    The only thing i can think of is a working cocker.They look very similar to working springers but a bit shorter.Working cockers are known to be slightly larger in body then the show cocker and there a quite a few liver wockers about.As for him saying its a springer i can only say his been conned into believing thats what his brought.
  18. Het

Het New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Could have been an ESS Luke, they come in all different shapes and sizes, just depends on the mix of lines in them, ie how much working type/show type. As for the colour - If both parents were L/W and KC reg then the pup could be registered even if it was solid liver, it might have had white on it as a pup which has since vanished with the adult coat. Interesting to see it though, do you think you will see it again?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Working Cockers come in solid liver, not springers, "Sprockers do too" I have boarded a liver Springer with only one white paw though.
    Dawn.
  20. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    From your description I would have said sprocker or cocker. Working cockers do tend to bigger and do come in solid 'liver' like their show counterparts.
    The sprockers I have seen round here have tended to be full liver or liver and white, but im sure they come in the whole array of springer/cocker colours:)
    Field spaniels are not that common but do dome in solid liver.

The pic below is off the small munsterlander club group site. The dog at the front is a working cocker age 18 months.

[​IMG]

Sue
  21. Luke

Luke New Member

Now that dog in Sue's pic looks like the dog!! But these folk said it was a KC registered ESS:?