Single buckle or combination. Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by chaz, Feb 15, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Single buckle or combination.

Well I need another Greyhound muzzle, I always like to have at least two in the flat, and I looked around, and saw a set, you can get a muzzle (either pink or blue) a collar and either a single buckle or combination lead with it, so I decided that when I get paid I may aswell get two sets of this, pink for Honey, blue for Diesel, but I have a question, does anyone have experience of and know about both types of lead and what would they say is better? They will be for when the dogs have to stay on leads only and a bit of extra secrutity for when their needs to be, and although they wont be used a lot tbh I've wanted a buckle lead for a while for them, but don't know enough about the other lead to say yes or no :?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Do you have pictures of the 2 types? I don't know what you mean, sorry. I tried googling it, but just got a load of collar pictures.
  4. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Buckle leads are infinitely more secure than the clip type.I hate them in cold weather,they're fiddly when you are wearing gloves but I ALWAYS use them walking hounds and large dogs.While greyhounds aren't heavy their ability to accelerate gives them surprising strength and I've seen too many clips snap under the strain.
    Without any wish to in any way offend the fabulous people who do greyhound rescue not all inform their adopters of how to hold a grey's leash,it's that acceleration again!.ALWAYS hold the loop in your hand then wrap the lead around your wrist.I know I know,your lazy lump of a couch potato would never...then he does...
  5. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Heres a buckle lead, where normal leads would have a clip this one has a buckle instead, its meant to be more safer :)

[​IMG]

and heres what I think that the guy selling means by combitation lead, well it is the pic that he's using, its not too fancy, but since when have Honey and Diesel been fancy lol,

[​IMG]

I'm assuming that the lead and collar are combined, but I'm not 100% if I'm honest.

I thought with the buckle leads that your not meant to use the buckle as a clip, but take the collar off instead (with a grab collar or something on the hound) I know about the acceraltion, I have Lurchers, and walk in a park full of squrriels, luckily I know how to handle them, when they go they may pull me a step forward at the most, but then its back under control within less then a second.
  6. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    You're right Chaz,the buckle leads are mostly used when the dog is going racing etc and the collar is taken off rather than the lead.I keep collars on my lot at all times so I detach the lead from the collar.
    The worst incident I ever had with acceleration left me with a broken wrist - two hounds going simultaneously in opposite directions without warning - still didn't let go of the dogs but there was some language that day you can be sure!
  7. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    You should of seen my hands the other day, you've just reminded me of a incident I had.
  8. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Thanks for the pictures, really helps. I like the buckle ones, I have seen them before now you've reminded me what they're like :)