Siberian Huskies - Tell me more General Chat

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Kerriebaby, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB

Siberian Huskies - Tell me more

Admittedly, not a breed I have ever fancied (stunning, but I couldnt live with a dog who could not ever be let off lead)

However, my little brother has been hankering for one for years...so thought I would seek some knowledgeable advice (and maybe info on reputable breeders or rescues?)

He and my sis live together, but bro is in the Royal Marines. He will be taking the dog for runs (2x daily of up to 8 miles) but when he is deployed/off training my sis will have the dog at their house and it would be walked 2ish hours per day. Would this be adequate for a Sibe?

Any other info would be much appreciated (health checks, training etc)
    Claire
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    That level of exercise for an adult sounds fine.

Health tests - breeding dogs should be hip scored and eye tested.

Good breeders work or show and dogs are KC registered.

Good breeders sell all colours and all eye colours for same price.

They can be super destructive - I do husky rescue home and dog checks and we need at least 6 foot solid fences and inescapable gardens.

Not a dog to let off lead, nor one to assume will be OK with small furries - akthough some are excellent.

They moult like you wouldn't believe.

They can be very very vocal - not good ou have complainy neighbours :)
  4. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    What Muddiwarx said +
    Have a look at our Rescue website - www.huskywelfare.org.uk
    There is a wealth of information on there about the breed including (if your brother prefers a puppy to a rescue dog) guidelines for recognising a good, ethical, responsible breeder.
    Tell him to be very careful though - unscrupulous, commercial breeders outnumber the good breeders by at least 15 to one. If a breeder doesn't comply with all the things on our checklist, walk away and keep looking.
    If he wants a rescue dog, try SHWA(UK) or SHCGB Welfare

Mick
  5. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    someone else was asking this recently...

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=156311

to be fair...there sooooo many looking for homes in rescues breed specific and non... even pups of weeks old...have u not thought of taking one of them on?
  6. cornishmals

cornishmals New Member

Name:
    Jude
    Also try to locate some good breeders and take a visit ( I would always advise not to visit when they have puppies as the rose coloured spec syndrome kicks in) although breeders of sled dogs are passionate about their breeds, good breeders will also point out the negatives as well.
    Again consider rescue as their are so many,particuarly young Sibes needing new forever homes.
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    its not for me, its for my bro.

Im just wondering if the rescues would allow a forces personnel to have one of their dogs. I do believe he is going to Ganners next year, so there is of course the risk that he doesnt come back.,..whether that would affect his chances?