Show greyhounds... Discussions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Petticoat, May 15, 2008.

1. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat

Show greyhounds...

Following on from other greyhound threads, that are about the racing dogs, does anyone on here show their greyhounds? I am not into racing at all, but I think greyhounds are so elegant and beautiful and there are a couple near me, one who adores Deacon and bunnyhops when he sees him:grin: My aunt also keeps the ex racers...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
  4. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    The link is intresting, ive never seen a puppy grey before. x
  5. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    They;re gorgeous. Our old neighbour had a pup who was adorable, but |I've never seen any shown !
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    We have a show at the beginning of next month and schedule classes for both Racing/coursing Greyhounds and for Show Greyhounds. Have to say some of the Racing/coursing hounds are lovely, not that the show ones aren't of course.
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Show Greyhounds are very few and far between. They are among our smallest registrations. Personally I think its because they often do not make ideal pets, and of course there are so many racing types around too. They have never been a popular show dog.
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    There are several hound breeds that have small numbers, Greyhounds had 37 at the National, we had 44 and there were 11 other hound breeds who had lower numbers of hounds entered than the Greyhound.

As pets Greyhounds are very undemanding but if you want a pet Greyhound then an ex racer is the way to go.
  9. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    We have some at the shows over here, mainly by one exhibitor who is a Greyhound fanatic and very interesting to talk to. At a recent International show, she achieved BPIS and Group 2 with another of her dogs.
    www.showdogsireland.com/ShowDetailFCI.asp?SID=986

See Group 10 for the greyhound second in the group, bottom of page.
  10. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Was she called Anne?
    Sorry missed the link, no, she is not called Anne.
  11. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    There are also people from Ross-shire in Scotland who breed and show some lovely Greyhounds. Their affix is Mistweave and they have done a lot of winning at Champ shows and at Crufts.
  12. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    They do indeed and none of the Savages were at the National.
  13. tova

tova New Member

Name:
    meriel
    Here you are then Zoeybeau- our Alice as a pup!
    She isn't show bred I'm afraid, she is racing bred but was destined for a life of life of leisure- to be a "lady who lunches" if you will!:lol: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. tova

tova New Member

Name:
    meriel
    Having now reared a (racing bred) greyhound puppy I'd be surprised if the reason they're not popular was because they don't make ideal pets. Having had dogs of a number of breeds, I personally found her an easy pup to rear comparably speaking. Granted they do need a bit of garden space as pups to run around like loonies which not everyone has, and I had to work a little harder at recall perhaps,but I can think of a number of other more popular breeds with similar needs.
    Certainly from a showing point of view Afghans are way more popular and I would think a good deal more demanding.
    A friend of mine has a couple of show bred Greys. She has also kept ex-racers and doesn't feel there is any real difference between the two temperament wise.
    I wonder whether it has more to do with how Greys were viewed in the past ie.not many years ago racing Greys were not thought to be suitable pets.By extension therefore perhaps the same was thought about the show type. Now, times may have changed but most people when they think about having a greyhound think of rehoming an ex racer. I'll bet lots of those people aren't even aware that a show type hound exists. British Greyhound show kennels aren't very prolific on the web either so that won't help raise their profiles!
    Anyway just my thoughts for what it's worth!:grin:
  15. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Tova, Alice is simply stunning, I love her colouring:grin: The only reason I have been reluctant to rehome one, is because I currently have indoor rabbits, otherwise I would love a black one;-) My aunts old one couldn't stand my previous setter, but there is one up the fields, that loves Deacon:grin:
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes but you have reared a racing bred Greyhound as a pet, I think the stigma attached to Greyhounds, is one of chasing and killing and needing huge amounts of exercise which we know is untrue. Show bred Greyhounds are always rearedm as pets, apart from being constructionally different to racers, they are not bred to race or work, I think this has an effect on their behaviour as a whole, although I dont doubt their instincts remain intact! :001:

Cracking pup you have there!!
  17. tova

tova New Member

Name:
    meriel
    I think we may be at crossed purposes here!I think in fact in essence we are in agreement! I'm aware of the differences between show and racing bred greyhounds constructionally ( not to mention their difference in size:shock: ) and perhaps there may be a difference in their keenness to chase ( although my friend doesn't think so ).
    I think I was confused by your statement
    "personally I think it's because they often do not make ideal pets"
    The point I was trying to make ( probably badly:lol: ) was that if I can rear a track bred greyhound with all that hunting instinct intact to be a good pet, then a show bred greyhound will be at least as easy surely! And also that there are other sighthound breeds more popular and yet more of a challenge to train.
    That said of course,there is no such thing as the right breed for everybody- so what I may find easy to get along with may not be everone's cup of tea.
    And now Dawn I think I may be going around in circles so I'd best stop !:mrgreen:
    Thankyou for you kind comments on Alice- I'll just see if I can dig out a more up to date action shot for you...:grin:
  18. tova

tova New Member

Name:
    meriel
    Here you are Dawn, I think she was about 18 months when these photos were taken. She is now just over 2 years.
    Hope you like.:grin:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna

Alice is stunning, there is just something so beautiful about a Greyhound running. 8)
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    What a stunning Hound, she is FANTASTIC!!! Id love to have her!! :007:

Yep, I think we had our wires crossed!! Not difficult in my case!:mrgreen:
  21. dan

dan New Member

Name:
    Dan
    Hi there Tova,

Your Alice is beautiful -I think all greyhounds are and they have a lovely nature whatever they were originally bred for.
    The instinct to chase is in their genetic make up as all dogs
    have their specific breed characteristics.

Gorgeous photos of a happy dog - what dog ownership is all about!

Dan. x