Question for gundog peeps - looking into breeds General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Kicks, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel

Question for gundog peeps - looking into breeds

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on a short list for my next puppy, about two years time but I want to look into the breeds thoroughly meet breeders, see the dogs work and will then probably end up on a waiting list thats longer than two years anyway! Thats not really a problem as I want to make sure I end up with the right dog for both our sakes!!!

I love Spring and Ziggie to bits, but working Moses (ESS) who has now become "my dog" has made me realise how much i've missed working gundogs. As a group they are by far my favourite type of dogs.

I want a dog to do ob/ag/flyball and it needs to be relatively speedy as a breed to be competitive (I know it varies hugely from dog to dog, and I think speed is to a certain extent something which you can train). Size doesn't bother me, neither does coat type particularly.

Shortlisted so far are;
    Another ESS (but would quite like a change),
    Hungarian Vizla (smooth or wired),
    German pointer (shorthaired or wire),
    Flat coat retreiver,
    Spanish water dog.

I basically want suggestions etc! and figured this was a good place to start asking!

Cheers H xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The only 2 I can comment on are ...........Hungarian viszla..........and the GSP............ thes 2 dogs are light in build ( the WHp ) is a lot heaver in build than the short haired???????/

the Viszla is a very trainable dog, loves seeking out and chaseing things . is a dog that needs lotsof stimulation...........makes a wonderful pet, loves his people, can be a little highly stung, bepending on were you get them from........The GSP ........is a slightly calmer dog than the Vizzi ,know there are GSP owners on her , so they can give you more info...............I love the Vizzi...........I have friends who breed them............and she did really well at crufts this yr.
  4. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Thanks Jackbox, i've sent you a pm hope thats ok :? i'd noticed that the wire haired versions seemed slightly heavier but wasn't sure if it was just the ones i've seen.
    H xx
  5. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    Hiya :D

Going to add my two pence about the FCR ... you have your head screwed on right about seeing the breeders and the parents ;) There are a few FCR's out there that do agility and do it well ! (Casper's sister and neice both now have their Agillity Warrants :D ) The flatcoats are the lightest of the retriever breeds and they move bloomin fast (if they want to, others are lazy sods :p ) majority I have seen though are keen to chase any type of tennis ball so if you train chase games or anything exciting with a flattie from when they are young you'll build great foundations and you'll have a friend for life. Flatties are one of the happiest breeds out there, they dont grow up and have a sense of humour about them that never dies, they never take life seriously as to them life is just one big game.

Casper and I have never done flyball, but I expect he would be quick but definately not as quick as say a Kelpie or a BC he is a tall dog though so cant get the same speed as a pastoral dog.

If you want to know anything else just ask :D I can put you in touch with someone who does do agility with her FCR as well if you like :D
  6. parker

parker New Member

Well I was just going to say I love your choices.

Then the old brain kicked in and I just had to have my two penneth!

Only one I'm not over keen on but don't dislike is the flat coat (sorry willow absolutely nothing personal - read on). The only reason for saying that is that the only one I've ever known belonged to a friend and had zero personality - oh apart from constantly nudging you to fuss it (can't bear that). Sorry folks, I guess that's why I was a bit nonplussed.

At Crufts this year I fell for an orange and white English Pointer a beautiful looking girl with a fantastic temperament - didn't want to go home without her. I don't know much about the breed yet and how different to the German shorthaired they are, but could one of these be a possibility?

You're certainly going to have fun researching ! Enjoy !
  7. becktrek

becktrek New Member

KSK -
    I wish I could give you some sensible advice about GSPs since I own one but she is still young and I haven't had a chance to work with her on any sports stuff. She is fast and loves the agility gagets at doggie school. She can jump high as well. She is a bit hardheaded and her training goes slowly. (It's not because she doesn't know what to do, it's because she doesn't want to do it! :)) But if you would like some more info in say 6 to 10 months I might be able to add more.
  8. Het

Het New Member

Name:
    Heather
    Hiya H......good choices :grin:
    I met some Wirehaired Vizlas at a show a few years ago and fell in love. It is a breed I would love to own in the future.
    But for now I have two German Shorthaired Pointers...a solid black and a Liver and White.
    They are beautiful dogs both in temperament and looks.Very social dogs, mine seem to really enjoy being part of the pack. They cover the ground extremely fast and are very agile so would do very well in your agility and flyball. They make great housedogs, wipe clean :grin: They are extremely affectionate and take over laps and sofas. Exercise is very important...they could run all day, and I suspect that there are a lot in rescue because of 'bad' behaviour...when really its lack of exercise and stimulation. But that can be said for the majority of gundogs as i am sure you already know well.
    They are an incredible breed - but then I am biased :grin: :grin:
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Hi, just had to add this little bit :lol: I know you are looking at Gundogs, but........what about a Boxer :shock: I know I am biased :grin: :grin: but they are fast, agile. eager to please , give them something to do. and they will go all day..........they are not as dumb as they look ;-)
  10. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Vizsla's are lovely, I have some good friends with both wire and smooth. The wires are very very loving, always wanting to please, the smooths a little more tempremental and can be moody. But lovely lovely breed, I do long for a wire :smt007
  11. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Having both Vizsla and GSP I would say that both breeds would do equally as well in Flyball/Agility but would probably not have the speed for competitve work. GSP's are probabably a bit heavier than a vizsla so may not be as quick on a turn. Vizslas are very, very sensitive dogs, they thrive on routine and gentle training. They do not thrive by being outside dogs and love to be around their people. I would say that a GSP would probably be a bit more wilful, but they are also people orientated. Good Luck with your decision, I am sure whatever breed you decide on will be the right one for you.
  12. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Hiya,
    thanks everybody.

Willow i'll send you a PM :D

I think i'm prefering the wirehaired vizla's but have never seen one run. I would like a dog that could be competitive at novice level but am not to worried about going any higher tbh. I've run a dog in seniors before (and would love to get ziggie there to prove a point :lol: ) but I find Novice classes a friendlier more chilled out experience :?.

That said there are GSP's and vizla's (only seen smooth haired but to be fair it isnt as though they're millions about!) competing in senior and holding there own.

I'm really looking forward to our summer holidays (a show! :roll: ) as they've scheduled a jumping class specifically for gundogs :D. Me? take a chair and plonk myself next to the ring for the morning? me? never! whatever gave you that idea? I'm allowed to be there now anyway as Moses is entered :shock: last year I was just gate crashing :lol:

Thanks for all the replies everyone - definately food for thought!
  13. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Jackbox - thanks for the suggestion I am open to other breeds.

My friend has a boxer and I helped train him - what a flippin' nutter he is :lol: He was in my class for the first evening (I help out with the beginners) and the next morning on the way in to sit my GCSE he saw me and dived on me!!!! Blimey that was a greeting never to be forgotten! Not sure the examiner appreciated the slobber all down my sleeve! But I got an A so it must have been lucky :lol:. Agility wise he is very fast and very long striding (would do better if she was a bit harder on him tbh - he takes the pee alot!) - not sure if they're the breed for me but will keep them in mind :D:D:D

H xx
  14. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    I doubt that a Boxer would suits your requirements as they are a guarding breed and have traits that can sometimes be a little difficult to overcome. However, it can be done if you are prepared to put in the work and prepared to be disappointed when a leaf is considered to be a possible terrorist :)

The Vizslas I know are rather scatty - and they belong to experienced trialers and ob judges!

A friend breeds Chesapeakes - they are cracking working dogs and may be well worth considering :)
  15. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Hiya,
    If you mean the Chesapeake Bay retreiver - they are to heavy imo.
    The vizla's that I met have been high energy but have been superb working dogs.
    A Boxer wouldn't be my automatic choice just because I don't particularly like the build of the dog (I like a big long nose!) but before making a choice I would fully look into any breed - many of the boxers i've seen have been to scatty for my liking though I think a big part of this has been the level of control by the handler. The fact that they are a guarding breed doesn't bother me unduly.
    H xx