Pit Bull, life span? Questions

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Timber-, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber

Pit Bull, life span?

There's an old pit bull at the shelter where the rescue has pulled dogs before. She looks so sweet and she's about 12 years old and hasn't had the best life, being dumped from home to home. :-( I want to find her a home, but it's difficult to place dogs that old. This is no way to live out her golden years. I'm tempted to pull her from the shelter and was wondering what the average life span is from those with more experience than I.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Pit bulls are strong, hardy dogs that often live to 15 or so in my area. Even in questionable to poor conditions, they just seem to do so well.

They are common here and I've fostered a few long ago when I could afford it. Oldies are preferred because they usually have less of those "nasty" pit bull traits than younger ones, and less ability to execute such traits.

I think it's certainly worth bringing on, especially since she's probably a calm natured dog at this age. If she has no known serious ongoing health issues, I'd certainly go for it.
  4. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I've no idea what the average life-span is. Poor old girl though being stuck in kennels:-( . Presumably she won't be aggressive or she wouldn't have lived to reach 12ish but I do hope that you feel she could fit in to your family.

The best of luck to you and her.:grin:
  5. Timber-

Timber- New Member

Name:
    Timber
    I asked the shelter to test her with both male and female dogs. She did great meeting male dogs. Still waiting for the report when meeting female dogs. She has to be okay with females because I still have my other foster Mocha.