Oxford Greyhound stadium might be being built on. General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by chaz, May 26, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Oxford Greyhound stadium might be being built on.

This was doing ok, then I heard that it was struggling, and now it might be being built on, no whatever you think of racing, I do worry as to what will happen to the dogs that are being raced there if this happens, I suppose the best will go to race elsewhere if the owners can sell them, or if they can afford to take them to other stadiums. But I can't help but worry that many Greyhounds are now going to need new homes faster then they would of done, and wonder whether there is going to be enough places in rescues for them to go if the owners decide to try and hand them over, or if the owners will keep them or privately rehome, I do know of one who although this will affect her and her husband her dogs wont be going anywhere, they are kenneled in the garden and have worked their way into the familys hearts, but how many others will be like this? How many others could keep x amount of dogs that they can't race, and I know of the issues of people having dogs that they can't keep, but now my thoughts really are more then ever with the future of the dogs, as like it says in the link, there are over 400 dogs who race there.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/9..._stadium_named_in_race_to_find_housing_sites/
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I hope the dogs are ok when this goes down.
  4. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    Not a good time to have a big influx when RGT have already seen a fall in homing figures due to economy.
  5. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    They got one here - soon as they do us a homecheck and find us a hound!
  6. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    Great news, that with RGTmidlands or somewhere else? I'm also from nottinghamshire
  7. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    Yeah RGT - just the waiting game for homecheck and then a dog (hopefully).
  8. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    That's great news! Good luck with your new hound when it comes :D
  9. spot

spot New Member

What will happen to the dogs is up to the owners – it will be interesting to see just how many end up in rescue (a greyhounds not for life you know).

The fact of the matter is though that a lot of these dogs would end up in rescue anyway once they get too old or injured too badly to race.

Many greyhounds need new homes all the time, the RGT have been ‘full’ for years, why? Because the owners/breeders/trainers wont keep stock thats not making money.

I do understant that your thoughts are with the dogs, as are mine and everyone involved in greyhound rescue. The problem is do we keep racing alive because if not dogs will be put in rescue or a lot worse or do we try to faze it out so less dogs will be bred into an already over saturated market? Or maybe all those reputable breeders will take their dogs back (isn’t that what most people think reputable should breeders do?) although I suppose when your dog has sired over 2000 pups it could be a bit difficult.
  10. spot

spot New Member

Oh excellent - bet you cant wait.

Unfortunately the RGT didnt want me as a homechecker even though I have done many for greyhound rescues, all breed rescues and been through the RSPCA homechecker training, otherwise I would be there like a flash to do yours.:grin: