Newly adopted Shih Tzu mix and question about possible deformity Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by immaprofessional, Jun 29, 2023.

1. immaprofessional

immaprofessional New Member

Name:
    Alison

Newly adopted Shih Tzu mix and question about possible deformity

Hi,
    After owning standard Poodles and a mini poodle mix we just a couple of days ago adopted a 4-5 year old shih tzu mix. We saw our vet yesterday but today I noticed what looks like a front leg deformation. I googled and see that there is a range in things like paws turning out so I'd love to hear from those who know more about this. I do have a question in to our vet but being a worry wart new mom, I'd like to hear what others say. And ps we won't return him but would like to know what's ahead. He's a love bug and we all love him! Thanks!
    IMG_0580.jpeg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    It is likely due to the breed mix. If he isn't bothered by it and the vet says it's OK, I wouldn't worry.
  4. immaprofessional

Name:
    Alison
    What concerned me was I read and know dog's can hide pain really well. How do you think you'd know then?
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    If it was causing him pain, you'd see a limp or a slight awkwardness to his gait. He'd likely show uncomfortableness to the foot/leg being touched, and so on.

Your vet didn't notice anything wrong yesterday, and you have a call in to ask to be sure.

I find that dogs don't hide their pain as well as people think they do. It's just that many people don't know how to read dog body language. If he's in pain, the signs will be there. Whining, growling, limping, hiding, etc.

If he's eating fine, not limping or walking weird, not sensitive to touch, not hiding, not balking at going for a walk, and so on, then I say just take a deep breath, relax and wait to hear back from your vet.

Enjoy your first few days with him and be patient about hearing back from your vet. Don't borrow trouble.
  6. immaprofessional

Name:
    Alison
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. And we are yes, enjoying him. It's just that he's so small!
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes likes this.
    No help, but just to say, isn't he just gorgeous