Newbie on here...(blue Staffie info please) General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by bunty, Jan 9, 2011.

1. bunty

bunty New Member

Name:
    Els

Newbie on here...(blue Staffie info please)

Hello everyone

Ive joined on here today as im hoping to gain information on blue staffies before taking the plunge and going with my dream of owning one and maybe in time breeding...but first things first, I want to gather as much info as I can. Im not new to having dogs and being around dogs, I was brought up with lots of dog and understanding their needs, but since becoming and adult things such as kids, work, relationships have always been at the forfront...now i want to venture into doing what i love....dogs xx
    If anyone want to pass on information, I would be more than happy

Many thanks
    Els
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    welcome to the forum - It may be wise to post any questions in the relevant sections, hope you get the advice you are after.
  4. Lou

Lou New Member

Name:
    Lou
    Welcome to Dogsey :D
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    hi and welcome to dogsey..

i dont own a staffy but from what i gather alot of people charge more for a blue staffy because its "rare" there are alot of them about. and also alot of staffys in rescue. so i wouldnt encourage you to breed a blue staffy.

also from what i understand people who breed staffys and are reputable breeders dont breed blues, as they arent the best quality of the breed, have poor pigmentation and eye colour... and if you are a reputable breeder then you only breed the best you can.

so firstly i wouldnt breed! there are enough staffys in the country shoved in resue without adding more to the problem.

fair enough if you want a blue, but dont get sucked into being charged more for the colour, and if possible please try a rescue. there are plenty of staffy pups in rescue.
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Welcome to Dogsey,

From what I believe Blue isn't a desirable colour in most breeds and like Clo said there are plenty of SBT's in rescues who need and deserve a good home..
    A well known saying: "don't breed and buy, whilst rescue dogs die"

Perhaps look into your local rescue - they may have a blue staffie there.

:)
  7. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Hi,
    Ok, Blues are not rare,what is rare is getting a good blue from a reputable breeder.
    In our breed it is a recognised colour and is part of the breed standard.
    Blues are caused by a recessive dilute gene which can cause skin problems, and auto immune problems.
    If you are serious about getting a SBT pup then go through your nearest breed club,go to a reputable breeder,this is very important if you are considering breeding at some point in the future.

As a breed they are quite healthy although do suffer from a few diseases so both Sire and Dam should be tested for L2-HGA,HC, and screened for PHPV & PPSC.
    This is an excellent site and has loads of info,including breed club websites,and links to rescue and welfare
    http://www.staffords.co.uk/
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    what i meant by the bold bit, was people often advertise as "rare" and charge more, so dont get sucked into this type of ad.
  9. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I know I was talking in general terms,you don't see "rare" as much now but they are using terms like 28 champions in pedigree ,or they are fine examples of the breed,yet have never set foot in a show ring or independantly accessed by a breed judge.

I would advise the OP to go through a breed club,to find a well bred health tested puppy from a good,knowlegable breeder who has done the required tests for the breed,that will also stand them in good stead should they wish to show or breed in the future.
  10. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
  11. bunty

bunty New Member

Name:
    Els
    thankyou to all replys.... oh hec lots to consider..
  12. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Hi - welcome to Dogsey.

I'm afraid I agree with others in that you should not consider breeding staffies. If you go to any rescue centre a large majority of the dogs are staffies all looking for a loving home.
  13. Avani

Avani New Member

Name:
    Shez
    Theres a blue female in rescue at the moment. If your interested I will pass on the link (as soon as I remember which rescue she is in!)