New puppy for older puppy... Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by David_and_Goliath, Aug 26, 2018.

1. David_and_Goliath

David_and_Goliath New Member

Name:
    Dave

New puppy for older puppy...

Hello malamute enthusiasts...

I have a male malamute (Goliath) who is 17 mos old. I have had him since he was 2 mos old.
    I felt that he was seeming rather "ho hum" just lately. ...which I didn't like to see.
    This week (5 days ago), I picked my new female puppy (Sheba) who is 2 mos old. I am hopeful that Goliath and Sheba will grow to be besties.

Here are my issues that I have had this week:

Goliath is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
    Indoors, he is very easy going and calm.
    Outdoors, his energy picks way up. He likes to play a little rough.
    I think he is just trying to play with Sheba, but I don't think he knows his own size (...in comparison to her's). He does this doggie biting thing, but doesn't actually bite her. He just kinda mouths her.
    However, in his excitement of playing this little doggie mouthing thing, he will inadvertently step on her and so forth. ...causing her to yelp.
    I have tried to get him to be more gentle with her. But I don't think it's in his nature! :)
    Any thoughts?

Secondly, Goliath seems to be attracted to Sheba's food (...which he got when he was little as well).
    And Sheba is all about Goliath's food bowl.
    I think I have Goliath taken care of.
    But I think Sheba still sneaks over to his adult food from time to time.
    Maybe not a big deal. Maybe in time, she will catch on that his bowls are his - and her bowls are her's. It's only been 5 days.

I welcome any general feedback from anyone. And if anyone has gone through the scenario of bringing home a young female mal to a male mal who is approaching 2, I would like to hear your stories.

Thanks! ...Dave
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    Hi Dave, Congratulations on your new pup!! I have 2 Akitas. My older male was often trying to get other dogs to play with him on our walks and most people were intimidated to let their dogs play with him. He plays rough. So I got him a playmate, a female Akita. He was about 18 months when I got her, she was 4 months old, so she was a bit older than your new addition. He was rough with her at times and she would growl at him to back him off. Inside the play is more gentle with him often laying down and letting her climb on him. The mouthing thing looks scary at times but it’s just play. They are now 23 1/2 months and 9 1/2 months. Outside he still beats her up at times but mostly the play is good and they play tug-o-war and chase each other around. The inside play is calmer and watching them is far better than what’s on tv!! I’d guess as she gets a little older your girl will be able to hold her own a little more.

As Akitas can have food aggression I feed them separately with a baby gate in between. Do you always leave food out for them? I feed mine twice a day but when they were little pups it was 3-4 times a day. I’m long winded and could keep going on but I’ll stop for now.. hope this helps. Marc
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    AEA07200-A814-429D-860C-320946E83686.jpeg These are my two
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Great advice you gave to Dave and your two are beautiful !
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Dave - welcome to you, Goliath and Sheba to Breedia, from Tikva and me :039:

I look forward to seeing pictures of them both :)

Marc, your two are gorgeous! :007: They just seem so big compared with my little Tikva but I have never had a large dog and, to be honest, I am frightened of big dogs. I do not think that Tikki is though as she definitely threatened and saw off a large dog that came into the yard the other week.

When I got Pereg from the shelter all the puppas had their heads in the one bowl, and when I brought her home she went to Lexi's bowl before she went to hers. I think that she was worried that she would not get enough food and that she should have what she wanted from both bowls. Lexi was on an adult food and Pereg on a puppy food, so I had to fix up some sort of gate to separate them during feeding. Also Lexi was fed twice a day and Pereg, being much younger and smaller, was fed three or four times a day. But I would never free-feed.

Luckily I had no problems with aggression with them and I only have Tikva now, so no food aggression or rough play [except with my hands!]
  7. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
  8. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Hi I'm getting 2 American akita one is coming Saturday he be 8 weeks and 2 weeks later getting a girl I know I got my work cut out I read and doing research every day I not had the Akita breed before I'm used to having boxer dog but thought I have a change as Jake died age 10 12 weeks ago any tips WHO OWNS WHO
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Rugby1983 like this.
    I’m gett ready for work and will respond later but I will tell you what I was told by a few breeders. Get the male first and train and bond with him first. Add the female after he is at least a year old. This was great advice as Akitas are a challenging breed, and I had already had one previously. You want to make sure that a dog like an Akita has its strongest bond with you and not the other Akita. I’ve never had a boxer but I think you will find the Akita more challenging. That said I think they are great dogs and I love mine to bits
  10. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Thanks for your reply looking forward to chatting with you later and take some good advice from a guy like you they are both full pedigree with each of our parents family dogs and good round children as I seen with my own eyes
  11. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I was too late to edit my post but want to add that not only do you want to make sure the Akita has its strongest bond with you and not the other Akita but you NEED that dog to have its strongest bond with you and not the other Akita!!! That is imperative
  12. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    IMG-20180813-WA0035.jpg IMG-20180816-WA0015.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Boy white black one he going too be called Rocco and the Brindle and white one is going to be called Roxy
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Start up your own thread in the Akita section!! I and others can respond do you there instead of on this thread. Do you have puppy pics? Gotta run...
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    In my not very humble opinion pictures don’t even do them justice. Bandit is brindle but you can’t really see it in most photos, maybe I need a better camera, I take all mine with my phone. I have lots and lots of them...
  17. David_and_Goliath

David_and_Goliath New Member

Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Marc!!
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    This is my dogs right now 554EC046-88E2-4E99-9303-A50DEB8A4B63.jpeg CAEB924F-FC09-4328-8981-6C1F452BC03D.jpeg