New addition Photos

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by Tone, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni

New addition

Hi guys,
    It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been in here, so I just thought I’d show you the new addition to our family pack, she isn’t mine but my sons and he picked her up today at 9weeks old. I’m now hoping this doesn’t set me off yet again :)

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Tone likes this.
    Very cute! @CaroleC is a wealth of information for your son.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tone likes this.
    Ah sweet. Has she got a name yet?
  5. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    Thank you both, yes Carole, she’s called Athena. I have yet to meet her and she to meet her walking pals when she’s all ready for the meet ups.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Has she come from someone who shows their hounds? I might know some of her relatives!
  7. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    CaroleC likes this.
    I’m unsure at this moment, but as soon as I get to speak to my son I will find out the when and the where’s Carole, I know he went for something completely different to what he had before and he did his homework in the breed before buying her as to temperament and abilities.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If she was mine I would start right away letting her off the lead and calling back for a food reward, or a game of tuggy. This is what I did with my working Beagle boy and he never really went awol - maybe an occasional snuffle in the hedgerow.
    My two Beagle girls came at 5 years, from breeders who had never let them off lead unfenced. Both happily adapted to training, BUT will just occasionally make a run for it, and not recall. Merry would chase fur, while Tally prefers to hunt for bird bread and dustbins! Beagles nearly always return after 20 minutes or so, but I can't stand the worry over railways and roads so I'm back to using secure fields.
  9. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    CaroleC likes this.
    Well I just been and had a cuddle with her, haha and like most puppies she’s into to everything that she shouldn’t, my grand daughter is following her around and seeing what she is up to, so have asked her to play with her and keep her entertained with a ball by rolling it on the floor for her to chase, which she seemed to like albeit it’s a soft play ball and she sunk her teeth in to it and flattened it , anyway they said she’d been awake most of the night whining and howling, so I advised them to try and play with her as much as possible so by the time night comes she will be ready to settle down . Think they forgot this bit and how long it takes to get them settled in haha, they was saying she likes to bury herself in a blanket so again I said try putting one over her bed so she can get under it if that’s what she like to do. But fair play they have been rewarding the good behaviour like going outside and taking a pee and ignoring the bad behaviour by occupying her with something else. So fingers crossed they get on like this
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tone likes this.
    Beagle puppies are very bitey with those needle teeth. Have to redirect it onto a chewy toy. They could try a Teddy at night - to remind her of having another body to curl up to. I use a ticking clock too - could be an old wives tale but it's supposed to mimic another heartbeat.
    I'm jealous. I would love another puppy.
  11. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    CaroleC likes this.
    I have suggested a nylobone, it stop my pup chewing shoes and everything, I also suggested one of them anxiety pups that has a heartbeat to it that they can cuddle up with too. But they did send her with a little cuddly toy and a really soft blanket that they had with the pups smells on it. They did say they was going to stock up again on toys as they had nothing left from their old dog but not only that they would have been way to big for her to play with. I did notice though that she is a sunshine seeker and lays in the sun.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC and Tone like this.
    The redirection and reward is key. Always have a chew toy close by. With Tornado-dog, I used Happy Belly rawhide chews. I kept a bunch in my nightstand and by the couch so that if he got bitey, I could quickly redirect him. I also gave him one at bedtime - it gave him something to focus on while we settled in for the night.

My dogs have always slept in my room with me, no crates. So there was very little whining with any of them. I am a big proponent of letting puppies be with you as much as possible. I look at it this way: puppy was born and has been with mama and siblings ever since. Then you bring puppy home to a strange place with strange sounds, scents, and sights. And then you expect puppy to sleep alone and/or spend time locked in a crate alone.

I say, let puppy be with you as much as you possibly can. If you use a crate, put it next to your bed so if puppy gets scared you are right there. Otherwise, just let puppy sleep in the room with you. Let puppy follow you around everywhere. When hanging out in a room, use baby gates to keep her in sight, but let her explore. When she comes to you, give her a few minutes of attention so she turns to you for protection and comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Pu... to raise a puppy a dogcentric,aps,200&sr=8-1

It gives a great look at how the puppy sees things and how we can better raise them with that consideration.
  13. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    Well my son has text me and told me that my grand daughter has done as she was asked and hasn’t stopped playing with her since I left, so hopefully the pair will of been absolutely tired out by bedtime. They are hoping not to crate her either, she has learnt to try and climb the stairs but only gets halfway up and won’t move up or down after that so they have to help her down. I personally don’t let my dogs upstairs, but they do all sleep together cats included in the same rooms, I’ve never had a real problem with nighttime as there has never really been anyone of them on their own at night. But I will pass on the advise that you have both willingly given me to help them out and they can see what is the most helpful to them, thank you
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    The first thing mine learn is to climb the stairs. :lol:

So happy to hear they don't want to crate! I've only used a crate with one dog - an 8 month old foster lab who couldn't settle down due to the foster kittens running around. I just use baby gates.
  15. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    Our doxie likes to be in a crate at night, with his blanket over him, he gets in there at bedtime no problem in his bed and blanket on top of him and don’t hear anything from him ( apart from snoring) then until morning. He gets up and waits for his breakfast with eager jumps. But we have open tred stairs so i think that puts them off going up them too. so I texted this morning and they didn’t hear anything last night from her so I should of hoped they had all of wore each other out apart from one slider that was chewed in half of my sons, so I said you need to get stackable shoe boxes and put all shoes in them, haha the dreaded shoes destroying stage.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tone likes this.
    I am a fan of crates, as long as they are a welcoming den, and are correctly used. Tally has bed with a fluffy liner in my downstairs bedroom - and one in the living room. There is also a crate, (which Merry used to sleep in), in what was previously my dog room. I often realise that Tal isn't around - I usually find her asleep in the crate!
    I have always used them for safety when travelling, and to rest in at shows. With a rubber mat on the top, they make a useful grooming or examination table. I think it can be useful to get your dog used to be contained in case they need to be admitted at the vets.
    ps. My dogs only go upstairs to have a bath. It helps to confine the Beagle glitter to one area!
  17. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    CaroleC likes this.
    They are really trying not to use the crate which I have in my garage until a last resort as they want her to roam the house as much as she wants, buddy only sleeps in his at night and I think he knows that is his safe space and no one is able to annoy him in there, luckily they live within walking distance to the vets which is like 5 mins walk away, but I tend to seatbelt mine in the car with a harness and lead in the seat belt clip as my car is a hatchback and Beau’s crate wouldn’t fit in my boot so it has a waterproof seat cover over the back seat with towels underneath it and he just lays down in it. They did tell me they are going to have to start her inoculations all over again as the second one won’t be the same as the first one she was given, I have no clue as to why that is, so she’s still not able to go anywhere for awhile yet, which has disappointed them, but like I said well at least you know she will be protected properly.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Tone and CaroleC like this.
    I think there are times when crates are useful, I just think especially in the US they are used too much for the convenience of the human with no consideration for the needs of the dog.

So many people are told "crate train your puppy - it makes it easier to potty train him" and then the dog spends the next 10-20 years being locked in a crate for 14+ hours a day because the humans never bothered to teach him how to behave because it's easier to just lock him up instead. That makes me sad.

While puppy is young, I would limit her roaming. Otherwise they run the risk of her finding a potty spot inside and sneaking to use it rather than going when outside - especially when winter comes (puppies often backslide in potty training with the onset of cold/wet weather). Like I mentioned before, I use(d) baby gates. They allowed me to give puppy much more freedom than a crate but not free reign. Blocking off at the hallway can keep puppy from sneaking off to pee on the bathroom rug or the clothes pile in the bedroom but allow puppy to be with you in the general spaces as you do your thing. As puppy gets older and dependable you can remove the gate(s).
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes and Tone like this.
    I start by using the crate as a bed - usually by putting a furry bed inside it. I tie the door open, and cover the other sides with a blanket. I also use baby gates to limit the room space while I get things done. When the puppy knows that the crate is his/her space, I will begin to close the door - at first just for brief periods, and maybe with a chew/toy. I would never just crate up and ignore him/her.
  20. Tone

Tone Member

Name:
    Toni
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    They do have a baby gate that they kept from my grand daughter, so they can use that and they do have a large kitchen which has tiled floor so they do tend to spend very much of their day in there with the doors open, but I agree crates are used for some people for the ease of their own life rather than training their dog properly. I did start off with a crate when Beau was little as I found he kept jumping on the kitchen chairs to get on the table to look for food, but when he was complaining at 4:30 am that he had had enough I put it away and he’s never been in one again, I just had to make sure all the chairs were tucked well under the table so he didn’t jump up. The stair gate I used when they was all wet through from walking and then going straight in the living room and jumping on the sofas, before they was dried off, luckily they are ones that you can take the covers off and wash, but then after that I would limit them to two rooms if we went out or went shopping so the pup couldn’t terrorise the cats and they could get over them and move out the way from him but even so they know now it’s not allowed with the word ‘off’ when they are damp or wet. But I suppose they will find their own routine as to how they train her and all we can do is suggest or advise if they need it or ask for it.
  21. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I had posted a thread a while back about crates. Using an a real person's "I only crate for..." details, I timed it out. 17+ hours locked up in a crate with no human interaction every single day and she did this for the life of the dog (even though she claimed it was for training purposes only). Unfortunately, it is VERY typical in the US. I think other countries have a healthier attitude towards crates.

Gotta love the table surfers! Tornado-dog will climb furniture to reach things if I'm not watching. Once I caught Moose-dog pulling a chocolate cake off the counter. Bat-dog was right at his side waiting. As he wasn't food oriented, I suspect Bat-dog put him up to it because it was too far back for her to reach on her own. She was part beagle and very food oriented and chocolate was her favorite (fortunately, she had a cast iron stomach and could handle chocolate).

It sounds like they've got a good attitude and plan with the puppy.