Malamutes and Recall? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by TabithaJ, Feb 20, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Malamutes and Recall?

I've read some threads about how many Husky owners don't let their dogs off leash because recall is an issue.

Just interested to know if the same applies to most Malamutes?

We met a gorgeous Malamute (or possibly Malamute X) today - he was off leash but I could see this particular dog did not have a great recall, as his owner was chasing him after his dog kept returning to my dog....:)

Thanks for any answers :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Some are good, mine is the most reliable recall dog I ever had, some are not .... As with any breed, if a dog does not have a reliable recall the owners should not be lettIng it off lead.
  4. cornishmals

cornishmals New Member

Name:
    Jude
    I have 6 mals all have recall to a certain degree.The boys are better than the girls who seem to be more easily distracted.But I will only let them off lead in wide open spaces with minimal distractions and never take them all our together.
    Even with my CEDs the boys have better recall than the girls.
  5. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thanks for answering :)

Wow, six Malamutes!

Are there any pics of your dogs on the site? Maybe I've seen them already without realising, but always keen to see more :)
  6. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    My boy has great recall..and the bitch is just a bitch LOL..BUT I dont' let either of them off in unenclosed areas..JUST IN CASE!
  7. cornishmals

cornishmals New Member

Name:
    Jude
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    You could have the same discussion about Beagles or Afghan Hounds. Some dogs have been bred to be biddable (gundogs) some to protect (guard breeds) and some to follow a scent and not be distracted (hounds). Northern breeds have been bred to run and to ignore hardship, have they not?
    If you want eggs, don`t get a parrot.
  9. Rogersedore

Rogersedore New Member

Name:
    rogersedore
    my mals all do recall
    :lol:
  10. BaltosDad

BaltosDad New Member

Name:
    Mark
    Hi...
    Depends on the doggie, and depends on training.
    My Mal Balto has excellent recall, but didn't at first. I went through 3 8-week strict professional training courses with him and really applied myself to it at home every day practicing, but it was worth it. He comes when called pretty reliably, probably because he thinks there may be something yummy in it for him when he does.
    Mark