Lurchers - What Are They Like in Reality? Questions

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by Wozzy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne

Lurchers - What Are They Like in Reality?

I really like lurchers and would love to have one at some point in the future, either a scruffy looking one or I love a nice tiger brindle.

Anyway, i'm just wondering what they are like in general...Are they fairly reliable off lead, can they be trained with a good recall, are they prone to doing a runner and going missing, are they a nightmare with small dogs blah blah.

I've seen a gorgeous tiger brindle pup at my local rescue today, he was very kissy and obviously loved affection and even though i'm not in a position to get another dog, he got me thinking. You see, I need a dog that I can let off lead and although my dogs have high prey drives, I dont have to worry about them too much. I know they wont disappear totally, I know I can call them back eventually, I know they wont bother livestock and I know that if I get in there with the leave command quickly enough, they do as they are told.

I know there are lots of people on here with sight hounds so what are the pros and cons of these types of dogs?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    My scruffy lurcher just died age 15 . We had her for 13 years .
    There were no cons only pros of having her .
    She was the nicest dog ever .
    Yes she would chase rabbits but always came back very quickly . In 13 years I never lost her once .
    No problem with any size of dogs .
    She was always off lead on our walks and was never any problem with people or dogs .
    No problem with cats either maybe the fact we have 2 helped .
    Can't speak for all lurchers just know my one was perfect :grin:
  4. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    I guess it depends on what they are crossed with.

I know a couple of greys X collies which need alot of mental stimulation, exercise, came with very high prey/chase instincts; whilst others were typical couch potatos, one lurcher (grey x staff) I know who lives with 8 other cats and never shown any intrest in them! They have all been very people/dog friendly though.

I think like many dogs they can be trained for recall, trained to be social towards other dogs etc and generally happy with a couple walks a day. One thing I love about lurcher types is that they come in a big variety of colours, shapes and sizes!
  5. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Hi i have a lurcher and a greyhound, my lurcher is so affectionate and a bit dippy, quite lively and i have had some hairy moments with her offlead. When i first got her i didn't let her offlead for a good few months until i'd done a bit of recall training but she now comes back to a whistle, not straight away mind ! but she always comes back.

Most lurchers have a high prey drive, mine regulary catches squirrels and brings them to you so i think she may have been used for hunting. Shes fab with all dogs even little ones but i do put her on lead with very small dogs i won't risk it.

She is fab with kids too and very happy. I'd recommend lurchers as pets, shes a grey x collie x saluki i think !

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  6. cravencraven

cravencraven New Member

Name:
    fiona
    I lost my Lurcher last year aged 13.

He lived with 2 cats,he was fine with all dogs apart from GSD's,but that was because he was attacked by one.
    Recall was no problem at all,never lost him once as he would never leave my sight.:)

The only issue was when he was playing with other dogs,as the instinct is to chase and catch that was the only way he knew how to play.He never hurt the other dogs,but some owners were not happy and thought he was going to kill them.

Prey drive,mine had none.:blush: Never bothered with small furries,sheep,anything.

He was happy to go on a 8 mile walk or a 10 minute walk.

I would love to get another Lurcher,but I know that they would never be able to match up to Stripe.
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I guess it would all depend on the cross, and even then because they are crosses their temperaments will never be uniform. You might get a dog with all the bad traits of the cross or all the good ones -- I've known good and bad lurchers!

That said, there are many breeders of multi-generational lurchers who probably know their lines very well, resulting in temperaments that are more predictable.

I like Whippet cross lurcher types based on what I've seen. I know two Whippet x Bedlingtons and two Whippet x Staffies who are great dogs, very easy and low maintenance. We also meet a lovely scruffy Greyhound x Deerhound x Bearded Collie on our walks sometimes who I would love to steal!
  8. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I have 4 of them here at the moment,each a different combination of mixture and aged 11 months,3 years,4 years and 8 years.
    All four are 100% with the cats and small dogs though only one was brought up with them and the other three were all used for hunting at some stage.
    All four have reasonable recall although the two with saluki in them are a little more relaxed about the promptness with which they respond and are more sensitive to anything loud sudden or scary.
    All are sociable with strange people and other dogs and can switch at the drop of a hat from laid back "couldn't shift me with a JCB" to daft puppy play in a heartbeat - regardless of age.
    As they are not a standardised breed variation in looks and size is enormous and add the variation in personality of the individual to that and your question is close to impossible to answer precisely.
    They have a character (generally speaking!) very close to that of other sighthounds,laid back,loving,non aggressive with the plus of extra biddability from the working dog part of their heritage.
    And of course that each one is pretty much unique!

Fiona:
    You'd never get another Stripe of course but if you ever get over losing him enough to face it I'd bet the bank that you could find one,different to him of course,but just as nice to live with.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  9. cravencraven

cravencraven New Member

Name:
    fiona
    Thank you,After Stripe died I took in a 1 year old Foxhound called Craven,he was looking for a new home.Totally different in character to Stripe,but loved all the same.

Stripe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    my boy was my best friend for 17 years...crazy,gentle,clever and sensitive.
    always always an offlead boy,used to come to work with me,didnt have a bad bone in his body and was good with all living creatures....he was a learning curve as a pup but settled into a lovely boy...even peeps that wernt that keen on dogs liked him....he was a whippet collie x.
  11. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    My lurcher experience is Tom the tiger for 1 year, he is the most loving affectionate dog at home , he is smart , a real quick learner , easy to train , he will sit, give a paw , go down , leave, and recall is good after a few mths training in a controlled area with his mates even when distracted, I havent let him offlead with dogs he has not 'formally' met as he takes time to get to know new dogs and will react to them onlead until he has had the opportunity to say hello under his terms. He will not tolerate cats except ours who he ignores as he was here before him and has his own space in the house. Local walks are onlead as there is a lot of owners who are not too sensible and he will chase given the opportunity, all in all lurchers are a challenge but also a joy to live with , he makes us smile every day , he loves Bella his grey mate and I think I will always want a lurcher in my life Oh and he lives up to his romany name and will steal food but only when it is within reach and you are not there.

How could you resist this !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    With my dogs, off lead Honey is great, which is surprising as she is the Saluki Greyhound mix, she is great with kids, I thought that she didn't have too high a prey drive, but it seems she's just more selective, but when she goes in for a chase she goes all in, although I have recalled her from a chase before, I wouldn't trust it. She's also great with my pet rabbits, cats and even my chinchillas, she's probally the most loving dog I've ever had, and the cleanest too, she's very clever, and loves to please, I think that she actually lives for her people, she's very senstive, and doesn't like shouting or angry voices, the sensitive nature became a problem after she started acting very nervous around men after a incident. She's also a dog that would very much walk away before ever laying a tooth on anyone, and unfornatly allows herself to be pulled around by children, I asked someone to look after her, and when I come back I found both dogs in the garden and Honey being pulled along by a four year old who had her flea collar attached to the scooter all but strangling Honey (I went mad at the parents), she's only ever bitten once, and that was after she had damaged her toe very badly, and I had to clean the inside and outside of it before it could have stitches, but she's never bitten the vets and actually loves going there as she can meet new people, although once she gets into the vets room she can be scared. She's also a bit loopy, and very atheletic, if she doesn't get out for as long as she thinks she should she will jump six foot fences and can open doors too.

[​IMG]

Diesel is also sensitive, is clever, but only does things on his terms, if theres something in it for him, I use to think that Diesel had a high prey drive, but now I think its more the chase, he has no concern for the animal apart from just chasing it, he never wants to get close enough to it to put his mouth on :roll:, his recall is not as good as Honeys, which having a 1/4 GSD in him you would think would give him the edge, but it doesn't, not by a long shot. He is also good with kids, and has a better more thicker coat, so doesn't rip his skin like Honey does. Diesel is nearly five, but still acts like a puppy, and is on the go from the minute he's off lead, to when he goes back on, looking for something to do, and ideally something to chase, indoors he is the most lazy and affectionate dog you could own, although you might not have your sofa or bed back once he's let on. He's also sneaky, which considering where the name lurcher came from isn't surprising (the name coming from the romany words 'lur' meaning their, and 'cur' mongrel, or mixed breed, this name probally suits them more the most pedigree names do, as most lurchers seem to be great thieves). Diesel is also great with kids, not such a big fan of the vets, and also moans a lot, particulary if your not paying attention to him, he can also demand attention from you, and is not too shy of standing right infront of you until you do it, or if your lying on the couch putting his front paws on the sofa so you have to pay attention to him or he's in the way of the telly :roll:.

[​IMG]
  13. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Just come back to look at this thread again, and what struck me is that your second photo could so be Diesel :shock: its actually quite spooky lol.