Is it Normal for Border Collies to Blow their Coats? Grooming

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Hali, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona

Is it Normal for Border Collies to Blow their Coats?

OK, bit of an odd question from someone who has had bc's for several years, but Stumpy is the first 'medium' coated one I've had.

Her coat is literally coming out in clumps. I spent ages brushing her and getting all the loose hair off yesterday and she's nearly as bad again today.

Neither Hoki or Kip lost their coats to this extent, though their coats are/were much longer and thicker.

It has turned very warm here and I think Stumpy was an outside dog before we got her.

Does this sound normal?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    Well, I don't know if it's normal so to speak but Cassie certainly loses a lot of hair and has been doing so lately. You should see what ends up on our duvet cover. We tend to try and groom her daily and do find at certain times of the year, like spring, she does lose a lot more.
  4. Border1

Border1 New Member

Name:
    ANNE
    oh yes leoti has just blown her's , if you bath her every day that will bring the old coat out and the new will grow quicker :grin:
  5. CLMG

CLMG New Member

Name:
    Christine
    Jack's the only BC we've had who doesn't, my other's all lost their coats in clumps, at times the floor used to look like it had tumbleweed blowing across it :lol: we could just pull it out in fist fulls, day after day, after day, after day :roll: :grin:
  6. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Indys just blown hers and its come back through lovely, neither felix nor scot did though - mind you felix doesnt have a very good coat bless him!
  7. Mummy2Max

Mummy2Max New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Max hasn't done so far this year although I think it's just beginning now! He certainly blew his last year :shock: :shock: luckily he did it while we were on holiday so I didn't need to hoover my carpet every day :lol:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  8. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Thanks guys.

I just can't believe how much hair is coming off her - I didn't think she had that much on her to start with.:lol:
  9. Border1

Border1 New Member

Name:
    ANNE
    I am living in tumbleweed city at the moment no matter how much i hoover as all three are blowing there coat arggggggghhhhhhh
  10. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Blimey, I can't imagine how bad that must be - one is bad enough :lol:
  11. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Ohhhhhhhhhh yes they do!!!!! I used to be able to just pull bits out of Mo's coat when he was blowing it!!!!
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    LOL they definitely do! In fact my collies moult much more than my longhaired GSD!
  13. queenwillow

queenwillow New Member

Name:
    tracey
    willow is the same dylan has a coat short very easy to look after ,how ever willow is a night mare ,she dosnt like to be brushed , i keep tring to catch her unawares (not easy )she too is shedding and it dos,come out the same if you pull at the loose coat .nightmare it is:roll:
  14. reclaimingrebus

reclaimingrebus New Member

Name:
    elaine
    my long coated b/c don't, but my short coated ones do.
  15. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Mav looses all his then starts again! Nellie does not, Flynn Loses abit but not much!

Its "normal" but not for them all!!!!!
  16. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi there,

Bilbo is loosing his at the moment - by the time he has done he will look 2 kgs lighter bless him!!

I have to get in there and help it out though, he has such a profuse coat it needs a helping hand sometimes ;0)